atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TrustNtdm Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/26/13 11:49 AM
I am doing some volunteer work for a local Humane Society. They have a Samsung DCS 50si with the SVMi-4 Voice card. Customers are only able to leave 5 or 6 emails before getting "Message Storage Unit Full". Once the purge process kicks off the next day they are able to leave 5 or 6 messages again. They had a vendor come in and quote them 3K to replace the Voice Card. In my experience with VM this sounds like a virtual or rouge VM box that is hogging up the space. The vendor said that the system had over 200 VMs however they could not run a usage report by extension or subscriber. I have not been out their to investigate yet but i was wondering if anyone knows of such a report that could be ran to track down messages or any other ideas.
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/26/13 02:44 PM
Have you tried logging in to the VM with a terminal and just checking to see the total message count and the average messages per mailbox on the main status screen?

If it's an option, I'd recommend defaulting it and patching it to the latest version.
Posted By: Gerrya Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/26/13 06:07 PM
I find people save messages and don't delete them so using space get them use delete and make saving 20 days on all mailbox's
believe there's only 2.5 hours per system so with 200 mailboxes
wouldt take long to use memory
Posted By: TrustNtdm Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/26/13 06:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have not personally connected to the system yet. I plan on making a trip next week. They did have a vendor in that told them there were 200+ messages on the system. However the vendor was unable determine where they were located. I am assuming when i connect there will be a list of subscribers and extensions. I was just wondering if there was a report or command i could run to determine where the messages were located so i could purge them. So far i have not found anything. The vendor quoted them $3,000 to replace the voice card but i personal do not think that is the issue. They are non for profit so they have much better places to spend $3,000
Posted By: TrustNtdm Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/26/13 06:43 PM
Good recommendation. Based on what i have heard so far about this vendor i doubt the retention settings were configured properly. My contact at the shelter told me that the vendor did not change the default password after installing and they had someone hack their system and place a ton of international calls.
Posted By: frodo_35 Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/26/13 08:50 PM
This is a copy of tsb 2002 08. It might be of some help.

The purpose of this bulletin is to inform you of an issue that may occur with the
SVMi-4. Upon initial install, the defaulted programming of the SVMi-4 and the
telephone system assign all of the extensions to mailboxes. When this
happens, it is possible that the mailbox limit on the SVMi-4 is surpassed. This
will inhibit the normal maintenance of the SVMi-4, including removing deleted
messages. If this activity continues, the SVMi-4 will cease to function. Please
make sure that the number of mailboxes created in your voice mail does not
exceed the mailbox limit to avoid experiencing these problems.
This problem is corrected in software version 1.2.3.
Items shipped as of 02/07/2002 contain this software.
Posted By: TrustNtdm Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/29/13 06:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted By: pvj Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/30/13 11:47 PM
Actually since this is a Svmi it can only have 32 mailboxes.Unless it is a Svmi4E
It shouldn't be hard to track down who has messages.Can you not log into it and from the utilities run MESS. It should show the messages.
I would definitely check for a hoarder or a general mailbox that copies a message to another user and doesn't delete after forwarding.
Posted By: bmreen Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/31/13 01:09 AM
If its not full of messages, check the TEMP directory.
Posted By: TrustNtdm Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 07/31/13 05:31 PM
Thanks for this suggestion. I have not connected to the system yet but will tomorrow. MESS is exactly what i was looking for. After digging a little deeper and finding the tech manual i found this command. It looks like you enter it from port activity. I assume i can delete the files also using the FILE command. This looks hopeful!
Posted By: TrustNtdm Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 08/02/13 01:18 PM
I made a visit yesterday and connected to the switch. Using the MESS command(thanks pvj) I was able to locate a mailbox with 245 messages in it. There was a subscriber and a mailbox but no extension associated with it. I attempted to remote access the mailbox but it told me there were no new messages. I ended up deleting the subscriber and it gave me access to the mailbox. I reviewed a couple of the messages and they sounded like fax machines. I was able to delete the messages i am going to follow up with them tomorrow after the nightly purge to see if they are still having issues.
Posted By: bmreen Re: Track Down System Storage Unit Full - 08/03/13 12:11 PM
MAINT will force the system to run maintenance and purge the messages.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help