atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ATechguy Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/26/17 06:56 PM
HI! Just a quick question on The Sandman Door boxes ,, do i need the Controller also if i am using it on a Analog station port setup as a hotline to ring ding group?? I know the unit is line powered ,, or i will go with a Viking E-30EWP . I have never used the Sandman products. Its going on Samsung DS616 ,,I can't get samsung doorboxes they don't make them anymore. Thks for any help.
OK, OK, I'll be the one to say it...Do you suppose that Sandman has the answer?
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/26/17 11:52 PM
Authur,, That's why i posted here , 1 person said no next time i called the other person said yes , so i will bye a Viking mystery solved.
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 01:49 PM
Have you checked the refurb market for the Samsung door boxes? I know nothing about the product, but maybe there are some out there?
Posted By: pvj Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 02:01 PM
Looking at the Sandman box,I would assume you need the controller to activate a door lock and to provide the talk battery.
Posted By: Genesiscomm Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by BTS01
Have you checked the refurb market for the Samsung door boxes? I know nothing about the product, but maybe there are some out there?

Unfortunately the aftermarket on these is almost non-existent. As soon as Samsung EOL'd them they vanished to dealers stocking up for use and because they were not easily repairable they're aren't any true refurbs out there.
Oh and they are a finicky PIA to install! Much easier to just use a viking on an unused CO Port with a controller such as the C250
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by BTS01
Yes , i did, its not worth buying unless its new.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by pvj
Looking at the Sandman box,I would assume you need the controller to activate a door lock and to provide the talk battery.

Which Viking models work on a a Samsung Analog station setup as a hotline ?? I thought a line powered Viking would work and the Analog station port supplies the talk path?? If anybody has installed 1 on a Samsung which model , least expensive , most expensive ? For the door strike i am keeping the old door phone connected in the the phone room so they will be able to use the door strike , analog port -Name will be Rear Door on display they will push the Old dss button for samsung module which then gives them the display open button. Its funky but they don't care. Any Viking Model Suggestions ???? Thks.
Posted By: pvj Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 04:45 PM
What about the E-10? All you need is essentially something that goes off hook if you're connecting it to an analog station port

https://www.vikingelectronics.com/product-details.php?pid=429
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by pvj
What about the E-10? All you need is essentially something that goes off hook if you're connecting it to an analog station port

https://www.vikingelectronics.com/product-details.php?pid=429
I originally tried a E-10 it was noisy ,like hum ,i tried everything to get to work it did ring ringroup 503 ,, i sent it back.. the link u sent is the newer version E-10A so it should work without the viking controller , question is is the Samsung analog voltage enough to power the viking , it needs 18v,20 ma , i am going to measure the analog port off hook, will update.

******Update measured on hook analog port volts 53.9vdc ,,off hook 9.9vdc, when you call an ext. it is 11.5vdc its not enough to power the viking it need s 18vdc. So you need the controller . So thats why the other unit was humming. DOOH!
Posted By: pvj Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 05:31 PM
I think they want 18v on hook as a minimum. All there doorboxes seem to say that but an off hook co is not going to give you 18v either
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by pvj
I think they want 18v on hook as a minimum. All there doorboxes seem to say that but an off hook co is not going to give you 18v either

I wonder if a dc to dc booster supply would work,, i remember reading a Tech was connecting a viking to a vodavi it was dead until he connected a 9v battery,, i will call viking , and see what they say. I'll update this.

@@@@So i talked to viking the tech said it would work but i need cpc disconnect ,, is there i timer for that kind of intercom call ??
Posted By: Genesiscomm Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 06:23 PM
Just do what I tell our salesman to do- Call viking pre-sales support 715-386-8861 and ask them what you need for your application. Never fails and have never gotten wrong parts.
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Genesiscomm
Just do what I tell our salesman to do- Call viking pre-sales support 715-386-8861 and ask them what you need for your application. Never fails and have never gotten wrong parts.

Yes I already called them , and they said the E-10a would work ,but i need cpc disconnect,, i told them its on a analog station port ,, set up as a hotline ,, i don't think i need cpc would the viking just time out, when they hang up?
Posted By: pvj Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 06:55 PM
Yes you can set it for 1-10 minute timeout and it also has a dial tone detect feature where if it hears 5 seconds of dial tone it will disconnect.It should work

Call Length Time Out
This feature selects the maximum length of time that calls can
be connected. Programmable in increments of 1 minute up to
a maximum of 9 minutes. Programming nothing in the time
value location will disable the call length time out. With the call
length disabled, the E-10A/E-20B phone must rely on CPC,
busy, silence or return dial tone to hang-up. Use the chart at
the right. * Note: The factory default is 5 minutes.

So if you use the timeout feature you don't have to have a cpc signal according to the documentation
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Sandman Door Box ???? Controller?? - 07/27/17 08:09 PM
PVJ ,,,Thats what thought , am going to try that 1 and flush mount it with a bead of sealant around top and bottom and put a little hood over top. Will follow up.Thks PVJ and everyone .
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help