atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: 5years&counting RG6 for HDTV - 07/19/04 07:47 AM
Does anyone have experience with running RG6 for HDTV? I was checking Belden's website and saw that there are roughly 3 grades of RG6: 1 for CATV, 1 for satellite, and 1 for HDTV. It looks like the difference between them is that they are sweep tested up to 1GHZ, 2GHZ, and 3GHZ, respectively. Has anyone run into this, where they have installed the lesser of the 3 and later tried to use it for HDTV? If so, how did it work? I recently cabled a house, and did not know there was a difference in RG6 until after the job was complete.
Posted By: ccaswell Re: RG6 for HDTV - 07/19/04 11:16 AM
You could check with the local CATV company and see what they are using but I would say that a 2 ghz cable will be fine and in most cases 1 ghz cable, at the local catv co we were installing 1 ghz cable up until last week when I looked.
Posted By: AvayaNovice Re: RG6 for HDTV - 07/20/04 05:10 PM
RG-59 will even work for HDTV. The issue is not the frequency capability of the cable.

HDTV is a digital signal sent over a certain frequency, in most systems... this will be digital channel 80, which roams around in the 597MHz spectrum. RG-6 is ALWAYS the way to go if you have the chance to wire with it, never use RG-59... but it will still work just fine.

So to respond: RG-6 is perfectly fine, I'd use RG-6 trishield, belden works fine... I prefer commscope. Quadshield is a better cable physically, and has more ingress prevention.

Same goes for cable modems, etc.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help