atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: bill wiring for cable TV and High speed - 08/28/04 05:44 PM
Looking to wire a house for both CATV and High speed. What type of splitters? Can Same cable carry both signals to 1 faceplate?
Posted By: Z-man Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 08/28/04 09:18 PM
Bill,

you need COAX for the cable TV and Cat5 ethernet for the high speed. The Coax can be looped and split, but the Cat5 needs to be a home run from the wall to the network switch.
Posted By: bill Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 08/29/04 04:56 AM
Thanks.
bill
Posted By: paul144 Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 08/30/04 07:39 AM
Maybe I am mis-understanding something...
I have broadband (and telephone service)through my cable provider. Everyuthing comes in on the same coax cable. I can get either off of the same face plate, or put in a splitter and get both off of 1 face-plate. The only reason that I use any Cat 5 is to wire my network together after the cable modem. With multiple cable modems, you don't really need any network cable except from the modem to the computer (router, hub) itself.
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 08/30/04 08:11 AM
all spliiters and connections shold be the standard RG6. the only thing that you need ot consider is if you amplifier. High speed won't work through an Amplifier for some reason.
Posted By: Z-man Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 08/30/04 09:45 PM
that's fine for cable modems, but doesn't work on DSL, T-1, or Wireless. You only get one router. Also, having one modem going to a switch and then routing everything through the switch allows for easier print sharing and file swapping, as well as firewall control and such.
Posted By: junkman Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 09/15/04 07:12 PM
Best all-around is to home run all cables of any type. If you're using cable modem, don't put more than one splitter (preferably low loss) between cableco's feed and the modem or you'll get flaky connections.
Posted By: AvayaNovice Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 10/03/04 06:58 PM
Jeeze where have I been.

A) NEVER EVER EVER LOOP CATV "COAXIAL" CABLE!!!!

NEVER!

NO!

B) Use RG-6 or RG-6QS either will work.

C) If you want to use an amp with a cable modem, make sure you need an amp first, then secondly... buy an amp that's rated with a 5-42MHz return path. Otherwise... the amp prevents return signals from passing through.

D) always use 5-1000MHz rated splitters, regal is a great brand.

E) BE SMART! Use smurf tube to every outlet so you can switchout cable for years to come.
Posted By: Z-man Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 10/03/04 10:17 PM
Avaya,

I agree with you on the smurf pipe, but not everyone will get a chance to put it in.

I personally didn't, nor wouldn't loop coax cable in my own house, but it is a common practice among track home builders. Even worse, they usually don't have to worry too much about looping the coax because the only put one run in!
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 10/27/04 10:53 AM
LOL, I need to show my wife this thread.

She about shit when I ran all the RG6 in my house. I put 2 runs at each location and most rooms have 3 locations. also drug in a cat 3 and ca 5 to each location. Accept for my office , I have about 6 locations in there with double everything.

Yes, she thought I was crazy.

------------------
[Linked Image from home.columbus.rr.com]
Posted By: dcohick Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 10/27/04 01:43 PM
Yeah, crazy like a fox.....never have too many connections. They seem to be eaten by gremlins.
LOL
I recently wired a friend's house. I used Leviton's Structured Media solution. I'm not done yet, but it seems to be a good way to go. Anyone else use that? If so, what did you think of it?

Anyway, the reason for my post is because I did what turned out looking like too much cable. I maybe overdid it in some areas, but overall, I think it was about right. When you compare it to convenience outlets installed by the electrician, the number of communications outlets I installed is nothing!

Here is the standard I tried to stick with: each location, except for the bathrooms (customer requested telephone jacks in each bathroom...not my idea!) consisted of 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5e. That would be a standard location. I had read somewhere once that this was the new standard trying to be pushed into residential installs. I don't remember who came out with the standard, but it made sense to me, for most intents and purposes. So anyway, each of the 3 bedrooms started out with 2 "locations". The master bedroom turned into 4 when they said they wanted a phone on each side of the bed, and a TV jack up high for a wall-mount TV. Each of those got standard locations. This went on throughout the house. They wanted a home office to use for their business, so the office got 3 locations, each getting 4 Cat 5e and 2 RG6.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I guess I'm looking to get the "DANG! NOW THAT'S CRAZY!!" award.

Here's how it ended up:

* Office: 12 Cat 5e, 6 RG6
* Master Bedroom: 8 Cat 5e, 8 RG6, 3 RCA jacks between upper TV and lower jack (for stereo or whatever)
* Master Bathroom: 2 Cat 5e, 2 RG6
* Master Closet (customer-requested): 2 Cat 5e, 2 RG6
* Master Toilet: 1 Wall-Mount Cat 5e
* Living Room: 6 Cat 5e, 6 RG6 (4 each to TV, 2 each to another wall)
* Back Patio: 2 Cat 5e, 2 RG6
* Breakfast Nook/Dining Area: 2 Cat 5e, 2 RG6
* Kitchen: 4 Cat 5e, 4 RG6
* Bedroom: 4 Cat 5e, 4 RG6
* Bedroom: 6 Cat 5e, 6 RG6 (another wall-mount TV). Also did the same 3 RCA cables from high location to low location.
* Main Bathroom: 2 Cat 5e, 2 RG6
* Powder Room: 1 Wall-Mount Cat 5e
* Laundry Room: 2 Cat 5e, 2 RG6
* Garage Workbench Area: 2 Cat 5e, 2 RG6

I also ran 2 of each from the outside box to the Structured Media Cabinets. I also wired for audio with volume controls in each of 4 rooms, and surround-sound in the living room. I also ran a Cat 5e from the SMC to the doorbell, for possible future doorbox.

I ended up with about 61 homerun Cat 5e cables and about 47 RG6 cables.

Now, who said you can never run too much cable???
Posted By: slim Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 10/28/04 04:44 AM
5years&counting

That is a big portion of my business. It is not over kill at all especially if you want to pass dvd and other signals to different locations in the house
Posted By: DnRComm Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 10/28/04 04:31 PM
I ended up with about 61 homerun Cat 5e cables and about 47 RG6 cables.

Now that is a nice size job for a house. And in house it can be PVC so less cost, but still with this many runs, it had to cost the owner a pretty penny? Wondering if I should look into doing residential.
If you would, e-mail me cost and what his bill was.

------------------
Voice and Data Cabling in DFW, [email protected]
https://www.dnrcomm.com
Posted By: Milestone Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 12/11/04 04:24 PM
Most of the structured cabling suppliers make composite cables which normally consist of 2 RG6QS ( for todays bandwidth you should make sure the coax is swept to 2000 mhz and specify the quad shield to keep noise down)2 Cat VE (or Cat 6) and for the really high end jobs 2 strands of fiber. Assuming everything is a home run back to one central location the labor savings on pulling this kind of cable are fairly substantial. Leviton has a decent system but what I found with most of the residential cans there wasn't enough room to bring everything into one box, Honeywell has solved that problem quite nicely.

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Milestone:
Honeywell has solved that problem quite nicely.

</font>

Do you know of a website where I could see this Honeywell solution?
Posted By: slim Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 12/17/04 06:39 PM
https://futuresmart.com/index.jsp
Posted By: WRichey Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 12/20/04 08:45 PM
Thanks for the link I've been looking for a good media box
Posted By: AvayaNovice Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 02/13/05 03:52 AM
Let's expose a few things.

These structured media cabinets are cool. Their splitters suck! Make sure you're using decent 1GHz rated splitters.

Second. Quadshield is nonsense, RG-6 dual or trishield is fine, QS is more expensive... thicker... and it doesn't block out all that much more in our intended applications. 2GHz is only appropriate for sattelite, the physical CATV plant will not exceed 1GHz. Too difficult to maintain, we'll all be FTTP before they roll out with something above 1GHz. Rather than spend a billion dollars on cable, RUN SMURF TUBE! Then just pull cable where you need it. SMURF TUBE!!!! is the coolest stuff on earth.
Posted By: KLD Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 02/13/05 09:13 AM
Just finished wiring a similar job --- just a log cabin !!! the owner gave us a complete room downstairs for rack mounting everything. Leviton has a large box -- used two on a new construction funeral home.
Smurf is nice --- I try to get all the commercial rental companies to use it.
Saves me time and them sheetrock repair.
Posted By: Z-man Re: wiring for cable TV and High speed - 02/13/05 12:56 PM
Agreed! plus the bundled cable is too stiff to work with sometimes. I really can't stand to use it.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help