atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: anthony11 cable short - 12/18/04 07:41 PM
I pre measured a few cables that were going to be pulled through furniture (cubicules) and ended up short on some of the destinations. They are long runs and I would not want to do them again. The cable is cat 5e. Please advice on what to do. Also if there is a product to attached more cable to existing cable.....pros & cons of doing it.

Thanks
Posted By: justbill Re: cable short - 12/18/04 09:22 PM
Maintain the twist. That's the bottom line.
Bill
Posted By: dtmf Re: cable short - 12/19/04 04:01 PM
Well it's not standard practice but you can put a 5e jack end on it then put a mod end on the other and continue it to the jack for the cubie and you should be fine but as justbill said make them tight.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: cable short - 12/19/04 04:06 PM
i have in a pinch for the same reasons added onto a cable by using scotchlocks. i maintain the twists in the pair & i also twist the whole bundle together & put tape over it to protect. our lancat & wirescope will pass it every time.
just don't undo the twists!!

note though that it will make a large "knot" looking thing that will have to be hidden somewhere.

i have also seen a cat5 insert put on then on the new section put on a rj45 end to go into the insert.
Posted By: KENB Re: cable short - 12/19/04 07:23 PM
i am just doing a job with 40 cubicles
the old cubicles were removed a week b4
this customer took the lease
so all the cat5 and cat3 were cut to
1-3 feet
i put up multimedia boxes that each hold
up 14 jacks and termed the existing wires
on jacks in the multimedia boxes in the bezels
and then iam bringing the 3 + 5 back from each cube to an end and plugging into multi
media box
should be neat as returning wires go into mm box from the bottom out and into jack
so only 1-2 inches of wire will show
the boxes were 7 dollars and bezels .58
for each 2 jacks
Posted By: john93035 Re: cable short - 12/20/04 05:08 PM
you can use cat 5 couplers. they will work in a jam
Posted By: clgjr Re: cable short - 12/24/04 11:20 AM
Duct tape it!! J/K
Posted By: Rover88 Re: cable short - 12/24/04 07:03 PM
I went on a service call about a year ago where they had cut a CAT5 cable in 4 places then tried to put it back together with those red crimp butt connectors that you'd use in a car engine bay. When they ran out of these they used black electrical tape. I still think that if they'd been a little more careful the damned thing MIGHT have worked!
Posted By: junkman Re: cable short - 12/25/04 06:05 AM
We probably waste about 10-15% of every box of cable by pulling extra on each run. Sometimes it looks silly having 10 feet of cable coming out of the wall box, but so far I haven't seen anyone selling a cable stretcher...
Posted By: AvayaNovice Re: cable short - 02/13/05 03:46 AM
The easiest most appropriate way to do it is using a 5 pair 710 module. I've done that in mass when a 110 block wasn't appropriate. A few companies make "splices" for Cat5e, I'm not aware of any particulars. The other quick option is to put modules on either end, and then use a short patch cord inbetween. Personally, I wouldn't crimp ends on a drop... too risky.
Posted By: pacecomm Re: cable short - 03/03/05 09:54 PM
Anthony11,ya win some ya lose some. this

time ya lose. It is just the way it is.

Take the time and rerun the short drops.

Its the right way to do it.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help