atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Corwyn cat6 - 01/07/05 06:38 PM
I just got a job for about 20 cat6 and 20 cat5 runs. Customer wants to put everythig into coduits because it's an open ceiling loft. He's thinking standard electrical conduit, but 40 runs coming from the telephone closet seems pretty damned big to me. I was suggesting 2 seperate conduits one for voice and one for data.

Also, are there any issues with puting cat6 pvc into metal coduit? What is the recommended minimum bend on cat 6?

From those of you who've worked with cat6 what brand patch and jacks would you recomend?
Posted By: Toner Re: cat6 - 01/08/05 09:05 AM
A 2" conduit should be enough for 40 cables as long as there aren't too many bends in it. I think the bend radius for Cat6 is 10 times the diameter of the cable - a regular conduit bend is no problem. Also, regular EMT conduits pose no threat to the cable.
Posted By: kingtel Re: cat6 - 01/08/05 10:51 AM
For our Cat 6 installations, we have used AMP
patch panels and jacks. Quality product. No complaints.

Rich
Posted By: Z-man Re: cat6 - 01/08/05 09:42 PM
Is he going to use seperate conduits for each run?
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: cat6 - 01/10/05 01:47 PM
I used Sprint patch panel and jacks. the seats are zig-zagged and the wire seamed to partially pull out with the punch down tool. I termanated about 150 cables and had about 14 opens because of this. I doubt it's me since I have done jobs of 300+ cables and no opens. So my advice is not to use Sprint.
Posted By: jwooten Re: cat6 - 01/10/05 03:39 PM
I've used Sprint panels for years and never had a failure like you're talking about. What model gave you the trouble?
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: cat6 - 01/10/05 04:45 PM
I had the same trouble with Sprint's diagonal design Cat 6 jacks. I ended up changing them out for Leviton.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help