atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Nu_Tech DSL certification - 04/02/05 05:44 PM
First of all, thank you all for your assistance in my previous post, it really helped. Now what I need to know is if there are any DSL installation classes, preferibly somewhere that would certify me, but if not just a class or a company that would give me a good knowledge base of DSL. Right now I dont work DSL tickets but there are a lot of voice repair tickets I do where DSL is also at the house. I've been told it's the same as working voice, but from what I've seen in the field it's different. Any assistance would b greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: DSL certification - 04/02/05 08:20 PM
Is there even such a thing? I mean DSL rides regular voice lines.
Posted By: KLD Re: DSL certification - 04/02/05 09:15 PM
It's basically just like the old AML (Additional Main Line) units where you had two numbers on one cable pair. The trick is to get a filter at the entrance to extend to the sets and run a dedicated non-filtered line to the DSL modem unit. I normally have the line requested for the POTS used for the fax. The self install instructions want you to put a filter at each set (non-system reference for residential). Waste of time and filters. Good luck.
Posted By: Nu_Tech Re: DSL certification - 04/04/05 06:21 PM
True but if you use a splitter do you still need the filters? Also, do the filters support multi-lines? There are a lot of xconnect boxes where there are ports marked for dsl use.... not sure why that is. And is there a way to figure out if someone has dsl at the box (like would any of the readings be different on a dynatel)? Yup, I'm clueless. Thats why I was trying to see if i could learn some of it on my own since we dont get the opportunity to work with it. I guess it's an in-house thing my company does since no one else has heard of an actual certification.
Posted By: BillyBob Re: DSL certification - 04/06/05 05:20 AM
1 - If you use a splitter, you don't need filters.
2 - Some lines are marked for DSL use because they have been configured for DSL. A lot of lines work through a SLC (dubbed "slick") and have had a DSLAM wired into the unit, or it has one of the new consolidated port cards.
3 - Many butt sets will detect a DSL signal on a line, and there are some specialized test sets for DSL which, obviously, will detect the presence of a DSL signal.
Posted By: Bellguy Re: DSL certification - 04/21/05 03:24 AM
Use a ts 44 from Harris, they have a built in filter so you won't interupt data to the customer.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help