atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: 5years&counting Fiber questions - 04/25/05 07:30 PM
What do y'all use for fiber (6-24 strand, multimode) when pulling thru existing conduit that has other cables in it? The conduit goes in the ground, thru a pull box, and very well could have water in it. I am looking for something that's easy to work with (sticky-less gel or something like that), small in diameter, and easy to identify as fiber optic cable (orange jacket?)

I am also wondering, because I can't seem to remember, what the maximum bandwidth on MM fiber is? Will it support multi-gigabit? Does it simply depend on the equipment at either end? I doubt that, as I am sure there is a maximum bandwidth that can be obtained on MM fiber. I see on a couple manufacturers' sites that there are a couple different versions of MM fiber. Can either be terminated using "MM" connectors, or do they each require their own type of connector, similar to how SM fiber requires a SM connector?

Thanks!

------------------
[Linked Image from sigcomsys.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Posted By: groundstart Re: Fiber questions - 04/26/05 03:42 AM
it depends what the application is for.

if it calls for connects switchs (data) i usually run 4 strand riser....

fiber is cheap....

AND I ALWAYS USE HOTMELT CONNECTORS...3M

not hard...not messy...and lasts furever...
Posted By: junkman Re: Fiber questions - 04/26/05 06:28 AM
Unless the customer specifies less, we run 6 strand minimum. Never know when a strand might break or they decide they need more.

There are 2 sizes of multimode fiber, 50 & (if I remember) 62.5, they need different sizes of connector.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Fiber questions - 04/26/05 09:12 AM
When we pull fiber into conduit containing other cables, we always use innerduct to protect it. In a pinch where the conduit was tight, we used 1/2" black plastic polyethylene water pipe which is better than nothing. I would check with Optical Cable Corporation of Roanoke, VA. They have a pretty impressive array of specialty cables with dry filling compound.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Fiber questions - 04/26/05 06:53 PM
Any feedback on the bandwidth/speed?

------------------

Posted By: RedTail Re: Fiber questions - 04/26/05 08:45 PM
It’s been a long time since I have been to fiber school (1993). The limiting factor Pulses Per Second (Bandwidth) in MM is the length of the fiber. Think of MM as a five lane road. Two cars are diving down the road at the same speed. The first card goes strait down the center lane. The second car swerves form the left lane to the right lane to left to right etc. The farther down the road the farther behind the second card becomes. The farther down the fiber a pulse travels the photons become more spread out. The higher the PPS rate the closer together the pulses have to be and the less distance down the fiber the pulses have to go before being blurred together. Single Mode fiber is like a one lane road. The pulses do not spread out.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Fiber questions - 04/26/05 09:12 PM
So compare SM and MM. I know SM goes farther. What about short runs and quality/bandwidth? Don't most people run MM for the shorter runs?

------------------

Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Fiber questions - 04/27/05 05:06 PM
If memory serves MM can be run with LED units and SM needs true lasers.
Posted By: aweaver Re: Fiber questions - 04/27/05 06:55 PM
What you're looking for is indoor/outdoor tight bufer rated fiber. I would recommend 50 micron unless customer already has 62.5 on site. If customer has existing 62.5 than use a 62.5 laser rated fiber since almost all switches with fiber GBIC ports are now using laser sources.
email me if need more help. I can get you a spec sheet on exactly what you want.

[This message has been edited by aweaver (edited April 27, 2005).]
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Fiber questions - 04/27/05 06:57 PM
Doesn't that require a fan-out kit? I've only attempted at installing a fan-out kit once, on gel-filled cable. It wasn't pretty. Not much service loop left when I was done. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Posted By: aweaver Re: Fiber questions - 04/29/05 08:28 AM
No. Break out kits not needed.
I'm sending you mail with part #s & Spec sheets.
Posted By: aweaver Re: Fiber questions - 04/29/05 08:38 AM
Clarification. Single mode is always laser. MM can be LED or Laser. MM laser & SM laser are not at all the same.
Posted By: wanebo Re: Fiber questions - 05/01/05 02:10 PM
Aweaver is steering you straight. Indoor/outdoor tight buffer is probably your best way to go and the prices on it have gotten down to normal (pvc jacket) levels. It also allows you to surpass the 50 ft rule after you enter the building. Therefore no splice to be done to transition to indoor rated. I'd disagree to favoring 50 micron over 62.5, but that's just because almost everything in my area has been done w/62.5 micron.

Breakout/fanout kits aren't hard to install and use. Even with ickypic fills. Just remember to ALWAYS clean them well with Hydrosol wipes (minimum of 5 good swipes down the strands), wipe them down with clean Kimwipes, and then wipe them down with a new Kimwipe that is dusted with baby powder. They usually slip right in with minimal effort.

MM good for short runs (<2000 ft) SM good for the longer. MM very good to GB speed but if MGB is desired use the SM. They will be paying out the nose for the active equipment anyhow, don't bottleneck them w/inadequate fiber.
Posted By: newtecky Re: Fiber questions - 06/10/05 08:41 PM
I know this is an older post but:
Gel filled is not fun. I've heard (but haven't tried) baby powder helps with the fan-out kit. Still takes a lot of cleaning.

About length/bandwith:
for 62.5 MM is good for about 2KM at 100mb
SM goes to about 30Km
For gigabit:
220 meters over 62.5 m fiber and
550 meters over 50 m fiber

Bandwidth of fiber is MHz per kilometer. As the length of fiber increases the bandwidth decreases proportionally.

Short cable=higher bandwith

50 m cable offers about 3x bandwidth of 62.5
Posted By: phoneguywayne Re: Fiber questions - 06/12/05 05:28 PM
Use lotsa 90% pure isoproply alcohol,and lotsa wipes. Get your fibre very clean and use baby powder. Prep is very important.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help