atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Gene Cheap strippers - 05/13/05 07:40 PM
Just tested 48 cables ,that a supposedly five year veteran terminated,replaced 24
shiners and cut conductors. When will they learn.If he worked for me He would be gone.took him 2 full days to terminate these.
What A TECH?
Posted By: groundstart Re: Cheap strippers - 05/14/05 04:44 AM
what the heck is a "SHINER"........
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Cheap strippers - 05/14/05 06:11 AM
A scraped or cut section of cable that you can actually see bare copper. Not a happy sight.
Posted By: BIGDOG3c Re: Cheap strippers - 05/14/05 10:06 AM
or what you get when you tell someone they don't know what in the H*ll they are doing!!

------------------
BIGDOG3c
[Linked Image from home.columbus.rr.com]

PARALLEL TECHNOLOGIES INC.

WWW.ABUGSEYEVIEW.COM

[This message has been edited by BIGDOG3c (edited May 14, 2005).]
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Cheap strippers - 05/14/05 10:55 AM
Hell I thought this was about girls.....
Posted By: Gene Re: Cheap strippers - 05/14/05 03:34 PM
A shiner is a short waiting to happen ,caused by those cheap plastic strippers, because the Tech doesn't know twist cause bumps and when you ream the jacket to tight it will cause shiners,That's why I allways train them with snips,and pull strings,ONLY!
Posted By: oberender Re: Cheap strippers - 05/15/05 07:36 AM
speaking of pull strings, we always leave pull strings when we do a job. Sure makes it nice if we have to come back and pull more. Does anyone else leave string behind?
Posted By: groundstart Re: Cheap strippers - 05/15/05 10:31 AM
BEING NICE only exists west of the mississipi...here in NJ/NYC its each man for himself....LOL LOL
Posted By: Rover88 Re: Cheap strippers - 05/15/05 04:42 PM
We always leave a pull string in major conduits--and a note in the closet that if the string is used, please pull another. That actually works, sometimes.

As far as strippers, I use the cheap little Siemon stripper (less than $5.00 at Graybar).
Posted By: bradleyland Re: Cheap strippers - 05/16/05 12:34 PM
I think he's talking about the filament inside Cat5 that you can pull on to strip more sheathing. I thought I was the only one that used it. I'll usually cut a little sheathing with my scissors, then grab the filament and use it to strip as much as I need.
Posted By: Gene Re: Cheap strippers - 05/16/05 05:41 PM
Exactly Brady ,That is the only 100% sure way ,as far as I am concerned. I guess you could perfect your method with the cheap $5.00 strippers ,but why take the chance ,when you can use your snips, and pull string.I have seen too many shiners caused by improper use of strippers, So if I run the job they are prohibited.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Cheap strippers - 05/16/05 06:05 PM
I've seen "shiners" caused by the string, when it gets wrapped around the conductor. Either way, you have to be careful, pay attention, don't rush through it, and somewhat know what you are doing. Sorry to use the old cliche, but it's not brain surgery. You just have to check your work as you go, that's all.

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Cheap strippers - 05/23/05 08:41 AM
I personnally don't bother with the strings (unless I am stripping back to a 66 block) I simply make a small score in the jacket, a quick bend back and forth then pull. It is a little extra work, but never nicked a wire since I started doing it, beside not every cable comes with a a rip cord.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Cheap strippers - 05/25/05 08:03 PM
there it is "rip cord" is the term I forgot. I always use them as well but they do shine a wire if you buy the cheap stuff

------------------
Altcomm @ A.S.E Inc
[Linked Image from altcomm.com]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help