atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: phoneguywayne Network Outlet Numbers - 07/12/06 04:27 PM
I am sure that everybody has a different numbering plan. We are testing the cables in ten schools that have been installed by data guys and electricians. My daughter is helping and already hates the sites that were installed by electricians. What numbering plans do you all use? and why? Do you use room numbers or patch panel number? I have tried to make it as user friendly as possible. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/12/06 04:43 PM
Whatever makes the most sense and as long as the numbers are the same on the jack and patch panel. The patch panel jacks should be in alpha/numerical sequence.

-Hal
Posted By: Clinton Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/12/06 05:27 PM
I never use room numbers on a jack. (At least not anymore) If you're looking at a jack, chances are good you already know where you are. Use patch panel numbers, or a combination of closet/rack/patch panel numbers, depending on the size of the install.

Your labeling scheme should make sense to anyone, not just the person who did the installation. There should be documentation left at the patch panel side.

Never use someone's name for a label...Bob won't always be in that office. Even room numbers can change.

Labels should be the same on both ends of the run. (where possible) You don't want to put room numbers on the patch panel and a patch panel number on the jack.

Unfortunately I've really only learned some of these things in the past few years, so there are a bunch of mistakes in my past.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/12/06 06:17 PM
OBTW has posted on this before but I can't find it. He has a nice numbering plan that he uses maybe he will reeducate us.
Posted By: KLD Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/12/06 08:29 PM
Only too right, OBTW uses this because of the multi-building situation he is in.

Bicsi wants you to use an identifier that has to be like 13 digits and letters --- doesn't make sense.

MAKE SENSE is the best way --- usually the PP number on smaller jobs.

My 2 ducats

KLD wink
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/12/06 08:49 PM
yeah i think the bicsi way is something like this
1A-A01
1-first floor
A-closet A
A-panel A
01-outlet 01
but i could be wrong. I just go by patch panel number.
Posted By: OBTW Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/13/06 04:47 AM
I think you got it right Jeff . I try to use the KISS method ! :rofl:
Posted By: UpstateNetworks Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/13/06 06:41 AM
I start with clearly labeled patch panels. Even if using only 1 panel, I'll stick to a "1-1, 1-2,1-3, etc." scheme. That way, if another panel is added later, there is no confusion. The exception would be at a location where there are only a few drops.

In addition to labeling the wallplate, I also label the cable inside the wall and behind the patch panel. Labels on wallplates tend to disappear for some reason, even the ones with the clear plastic windows.

The TIA standard seems a bit involved for smaller installations. I like the "Patch Panel Number - Port Number" scheme. Troubleshooting seems to always start at the user's desk, anyway.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/13/06 05:36 PM
My school numbered them all by room number. I guess that works for a while until they decide they want to renumber the rooms smile there was an old patch panel in the server room that was labeled with people's names..from 10 years ago maybe..too bad none of the people are there anymore and who knows where the cables go!
Posted By: glacier37 Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/13/06 05:42 PM
We label the patch panels with letters and then use A 1-48, B 1-48, etc. Our customers seem to get confused with numbers for the panel and the jack.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/13/06 06:02 PM
same method as above for me
Posted By: Mike Andruschak Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/14/06 06:13 AM
We simply number the jack panels and jacks from 1 to whatever. With a map in the terminal room showing where the jacks are.
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/14/06 04:51 PM
I find you can make more doing MACS if you don't number anything!

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
(just joking!)
Posted By: Corwyn Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/15/06 01:37 PM
we just worked on a monster installation where there were multiple patch panel locations and telco rooms.

We labeled all the racks with a unique initial

for example the server room was -
SR that had 480 cat6 drops where I did 20 24 port patch panels in one rack. On the field side everthing was terminated on 24 port panels that went into cages.

So the numbering sequence was
SR 01-01 for Server Room patch panel 1 port 1.
While I agree that doing numbering in a way that makes sense is important, there is no way to future proof with 100% certainty.

corwyn
Posted By: Stoph Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/26/06 08:11 PM
When I was an apprentice I worked with some old bell guys that had taken early retirement from the phone company. A couple of them thought the best way to run cable was to just pull it out of the box and use it without marking. Then they would terminate the cables and tone out each location. So cable one might be on the first block and cable two could be on the fifth block. This seemed very logical to them.

Oh, by the way, one of these guys told me he would carry a big bag of scrap wire on his truck. At the end of a shift he would call the foreman and tell him that he had to work overtime to get the job done. He would dump the bag of scrap on the floor at the MDF so that it looked like he had been working like mad just in case the foreman came by the jobsite.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/26/06 08:35 PM
A couple of them thought the best way to run cable was to just pull it out of the box and use it without marking. Then they would terminate the cables and tone out each location.

That's the way I do it only I install the jacks then number them as the are supposed to be. Then I tone each one and punch them down in order.

Especially with data wiring I will work with another guy. After the jacks are done he walks around and I stay at the cross connect or patch panel. We use Nextels or radios to communicate. He plugs in the buzzer, I identify and punch down then he replaces the buzzer with the remote for the cable tester. If it passes he moves on to the next jack.

Damned if I'm going to pull my hair out with labels or writing on the cable like some sparkie or CG.

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/26/06 08:40 PM
all the jobs I have worked on we labeled the cables according to the blueprints.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/26/06 08:43 PM
A couple of them thought the best way to run cable was to just pull it out of the box and use it without marking. Then they would terminate the cables and tone out each location.
yep thats what works best for me . your going to test anyway so tone /test/ label all at the same time
Posted By: Stoph Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/27/06 04:46 AM
I don't get it. If you have 400 cables laid into a data rack, are you going to stick a probe in that massive bundle to find cable number one, and then repeat that process over and over?

From day one of my training we were taught to mark each cable with a sharpie in 2 places, then write that number on the box. Then we pulled the cables, cut them to length and marked the other end in the same fashion.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/27/06 04:51 AM
Very seldom will I mark cables I use ICC jacks and blank panels. Terminate both ends, place test module on line (8 at a time) when I locate the right wire at patch panel just plug into patch panel location I want. Every cable gets tested, no wasted time looking for cable tags and all cables in order.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/27/06 05:04 AM
if I have 400 cables laid out I would rather stick a probe in then go through each trying to read the numbers written in sharpie on each cable (is that a 5 or a 3 ? a 1 or a 7 ? )

off course Im not going to have 400 loose their going to be grouped .

I use the blank panels too , I like them becouse you can install one larger than you need and populate as needed also makes it easier to add /troubleshoot without having to disturb the panel.

I use the datalite to quickly Id cables 100 remotes two colred sending units makes it go quick .

https://www.tecratools.com/pages/datacom/37600.html
Posted By: Stoph Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/27/06 05:31 AM
Skip-that's interesting. We just started using the blank panels from Hubbell because our installers said it was easier to terminate the individual inserts rather than work with the 110 connections on the back of a preconfigured patch panel.

You do have a point about reading the numbers on the cables. We actually spell the number to help with questionable markings; especially when some numbers get rubbed off a little bit during the installation process.

Maybe we need to look outside our small family owned box a little bit more?
Posted By: Clinton Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/27/06 09:10 AM
I rarely bother with numbering the cables as they're being pulled. As others have said, I'm going to test each cable anyways, so I tone, test and label then.

What I have noticed with some people who do label the cables when they pull them, is they try to terminate them "in order" at the patch panel. You can either dress the cables out neatly, or you can fight with them to put them in order. Does it matter if two adjacent offices have cables run to two adjacent patch panel ports? Personally, I don't think so.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/27/06 09:24 AM
stoph

I use the jackrapid tool with leviton jacks lot quicker than trying to punch down to the patch panel

https://www.flukenetworks.com/jackrapid

couple that with the datalite and its quick and acurate .
(tip here the leviton jacks are a tight fit in the allentel blank patch panels but I find a 3/4 wood chisel on the top tab slides them right in place )

like clinton said Ive never had a customer complain that jack 6 is on one wall and 28 is on the other wall . as long as they are correctly marked neatly installed and work (becouse they where tested ) their happy
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 07/27/06 06:26 PM
I see the Home Depot is now carrying the jackrapid tool. Telecom techs can't even get the tool advantage anymore over the end users!
Posted By: jettech Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 09/04/06 03:29 AM
If you use combs you can pull the cables out of the out of the 200 or so you have as they come and put that number through the respective hole in the right comb. And Not have to search through the cable ends for numbers.

Always label your Racks well nice big Label and have that rack number on the Outlet Face Plate.

I use BD for Building Distributor and then FD for Floor Distributor or FD-10 for Floor Distributor Level 10 etc.

Some Pepole go with Letters for Rack Numbers but most people here do whatever they felt like at the time to make me Mad.
Posted By: CCSGINC Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 09/04/06 07:47 AM
As you can see, everyone has a method that works best for them. As long as your scheme makes sense, and you stick to it everywhere, and provide the customer with documentations, you can come up with a scheme that works best for you.

Here is a simple chart we use that helps our techs use the same scheme.

Keep in mind, you only need to use information that pertains to the current project. (For instance, if there is only 1 floor, don't use floor number.) Always add new digits "Right to Left".

"Blg.F-CL.R-PL-P"

P = Port (1-48)
Pl = Patch Panel (A-ZZ)
R = Rack (1-99)
CL = Closet (A-ZZ, According to site)
F = Floor (1-99, According to site)
BLG = Building (According to site)

Example 1: 3 story building with 2 closets on the 3rd floor with 2 racks and 14 patch panels. Cable is in 2nd closet on 3rd floor in rack 2 patch panel D port 28. = "3-B.2-D-28"

Eample 2: 1 story building, 1 closet, 1 rack, 1 patch panel port 28. = "A-28"

When cabling a new location, Print a Patch Panel chart that represents the total number of cables you are installing with the representing patch panel numbers. (ie. cables 1-48 = A-1 to A-48, cables 49-96 = B1 to B-48, and so on.)

Now, start at the receptionist desk or a central location with cable #1. From here work in a clockwise motion all the way around the building numbering the rest of the locations. The first outlet on the left when entering an office will always be the next number. Work that office in a clockwise motion, then move on. You should end up back close to the receptionist desk with the last cable.

Now you can sharpie all the cables with the exact location it will be as you install them. This will enable you to predict the correct slack amount to dress them in the racks as lengths change as you move down or over as you terminate. It makes for a much cleaner installation, No combs needed.

But the biggest advantage of this method is Testing or Certification. If this method was used, your daughter would only have to walk in a complete circle around the building using the clockwise motion to each jack, and you would only have to move the tester over to the next port. Everthing is in order, easy to determine and no searching and walking 100 miles to test.

But this is just our way. As I mentioned above take what you see here that makes sense and apply it to your own scheme.

"Always provide an AS-Built"
Posted By: grider Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 09/04/06 08:30 AM
Kirk, are you bored this morning. That is quite a novel you posted. :rofl:
Posted By: CCSGINC Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 09/04/06 10:47 AM
Just tring to be helpfull. And yes, I'm used to be working on Monday's. :bang:
Posted By: telecomjames Re: Network Outlet Numbers - 09/06/06 01:55 PM
you should label it smart.for example:
what idf is it?1,2,3? lets say 2 so it would be idf#2-
and what panal is it going to? lets say 4th one.
idf#2-4-
and what port is it going to? lets say 36. then you have
idf#2-4-36.

not so hard to do.
Jamey
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help