atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ATeamM What kind? - 03/15/07 08:21 AM
Hi, I'm one of those dreaded IT people you guys always talk about but I'm also supposed to be the phone guy/wire monkey. I'm pretty much fresh out of college and don't have much real experience in the field. I know how to make cables how to run them and the names for them but what I don't know is what brands and such are good. We are about out of Cat5e and I need to order some. . . .so what do you guys suggest?
I also need some 2pair Cat3.
Posted By: UpstateNetworks Re: What kind? - 03/15/07 08:53 AM
I'd suggest taking a ride over to Stanion Wholesale Electric. They carry Belden and Berk-Tek cable, both reputable brands. They also carry Coleman, which will likely be cheaper and may still fit your needs.

I'm sure they will also have or be able to get the cat3 that you need, as well as jacks, wallplates, etc.

Avoid no-name cheapies that you'll find all over the net. Once you add in shipping charges, they're not so inexpensive.
Posted By: Gene Re: What kind? - 03/15/07 03:26 PM
I thought Cat3 was all 4pair, There is however 2pair voice cable ,But I would bet ,you have to order it.
Posted By: Gene Re: What kind? - 03/15/07 03:31 PM
Iwould also venture to say ,It would cost as much as Cat3 if you order it.Even three pair,would be as exspensive,The moral of the story ,Just buy Cat3.What's afew extra pair? "Insurance"
Posted By: hbiss Re: What kind? - 03/15/07 05:01 PM
The old adage applies- you get what you pay for. Stick with major brands from known distributors.

As for: I thought Cat3 was all 4pair. About all I can say is- :rofl:

That would hold true for CAT5e and up though.

-Hal
Posted By: EV607797 Re: What kind? - 03/15/07 05:09 PM
That's true. I have a reel of FIVE pair CAT5 cable at my office. It's all hype when you look at the big picture. My home's network is running on spare pairs in cables shared with my two-pair phone system (Panasonic). My wiring is "D" inside wiring cable, which is effectively four-pair "CAT Zero", developed long before the manufacturers came up with category, or level ratings.

I also manage to get 10 Mbps performance at a minimum, though some devices such as IP phones are locking in at 100. Four computers, four (real) IP phones networked back to my office, and a teenaged son who is big-time into on-line gaming. He's not complaining about winning with his PS2 hookup.

Of course, all that can be achieved using cable modem or DSL is 10 Mbps anyway.

CAT3 cable can be purchased in any size from 2 to 100 pair from most cable suppliers' local stock. Larger pair counts are available through special order. There is even direct-burial CAT3 available. Four pair inside wiring cable is perhaps the most common size, but it's not the only CAT3 that's out there. It's still overkill for voice use.
Posted By: HJB Re: What kind? - 03/16/07 12:06 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
[QBAs for: I thought Cat3 was all 4pair. About all I can say is- :rofl:

That would hold true for CAT5e and up though.

-Hal
Hal, unfortunately that isn't true. See the last item on this PDF:

https://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdo...91BF-C67953DD966A/0/CrossConnectWire.pdf

:rofl:
Posted By: Gene Re: What kind? - 03/16/07 07:19 PM
:bow: :bow: ,All I can say is given the price of Cat3 I wouldn,t consider running 2pair ,I am fully aware they make larger cable counts in cat3 ,I have never had the occasion that I would consider using less than 4pair,I haven't ran any three pair for about 15 years,Please forgive me for having my own opinion.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: What kind? - 03/16/07 07:40 PM
Yeah, but HJB, that's jacketed cross connect wire. It's not rated for general wiring use except in very limited applications. It carries the same ratings as patch cord wiring material. It's not rated for riser OR plenum use, so it's not really inside wiring cable.
Posted By: HJB Re: What kind? - 03/23/07 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ev607797:
Yeah, but HJB, that's jacketed cross connect wire. It's not rated for general wiring use except in very limited applications. It carries the same ratings as patch cord wiring material. It's not rated for riser OR plenum use, so it's not [b]really inside wiring cable. [/b]
I know it isn't "horizontal cable." I was just trying to be funny cool

You are correct that it is not suitable for horizontal "inside wiring," but not necessarily for the reasons that you mentioned.

There are several different ratings for cable:

CM = Communications
CMR = Communications RISER
CMP = Communications PLENUM

A CM rated cable is just fine for running inside a building as long as it is not running through a plenum or through a riser shaft. Both RISER and PLENUM are specific applications. RISER does not simply mean "non-plenum."

For instance, Systimax's main CAT-5E non-plenum cable (known as "1061") is generally purchased as standard CM cable (1061C).
The CMR version of the 1061 cable is known as 1061B, but it isn't purchased all that often because horizontal cable doesn't usually pass through riser shafts.

So, CM cable is fine for "inside wiring" as long as it doesn't need to be UL910 (plenum) or UL1666 (riser) rated.

Hans
Posted By: hbiss Re: What kind? - 03/23/07 11:43 AM
Generally type CMR is used for both CM and CMR applications. This is because vertical runs at least between floors are all too frequent. Stocking and using a CM listed cable then switching to a CMR listed cable for those runs is impractical, given also that the cost is not much more.

Too bad that 2 pair CAT5e jacketed cross connect wire is not available in CMR and CMP so that it could be used for general use. I never understood why data cables are four pair when only two are ever used (except recently with 1000 baseT applications). What a waste these CGs create- as usual.

-Hal
Posted By: tito1411 Re: What kind? - 03/23/07 11:46 AM
Im not sure if you got your answer but if you wanted to keep things simple just buy cat5e and use it for both data and voice. Theres nothing wrong with that but it may cost a few more bucks. If you must use cat3 then just get cat3 4 pair. You also need to make sure that you get the correct cable as far as plenum or pvc goes. If your not sure just drop by your local electrical supply house, bring some of your existing cable with you, and ask questions!
Posted By: HJB Re: What kind? - 03/23/07 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Generally type CMR is used for both CM and CMR applications. This is because vertical runs at least between floors are all too frequent. Stocking and using a CM listed cable then switching to a CMR listed cable for those runs is impractical, given also that the cost is not much more.
I agree with you Hal.

The reason CM is used so extensively with Systimax (high end product) is because those VARs who are installing Systimax are doing so in accordance with TIA and BICSI standards which call for each work area outlet (WAO) to be served by a telecommunications room (TR) on the same floor.

The only cable passing through floors should be copper and fiber backbones.
Posted By: hbiss Re: What kind? - 03/23/07 12:40 PM
If your not sure just drop by your local electrical supply house, bring some of your existing cable with you, and ask questions!

Yeah, just step up to the counter and say I need some of this here 'puter wire. Maybe the sparkie next to you will tell you how he wires doorbells and thermostats with it.

Unfortunately you already know more then they do just from reading this thread...

-Hal
Posted By: HJB Re: What kind? - 03/23/07 03:19 PM
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help