atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: phoneguywayne Wood Construction - 05/16/07 09:19 PM
How is the best way to support data cables inside the walls, where there is no pipe. I used tape to hold the wire in place until the dry wall is on. This was an intersting job, open ceiling, had to get across the open hallway.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Wood Construction - 05/16/07 09:36 PM
Drive rings are the way to go with wood studs. Here's a link to the Thomas & Betts site, but I can't figure out how to get you to the specific page. Just select "drop line hardware" and you'll find them.
https://catv-cat.tnb.com/tnbcat/tnbcat/DSS_home_page_dsp.build_catalog_home_page

With wood or metal studs, you can use Caddy's "Colorado Jim" fasteners. Here's the link for them:
https://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcCOJimCbleSpprt.asp

It's just a strap that screws to the stud, then you bend it back around in a "U" and it has a snap to lock it closed. Cheap and easy.
Posted By: Burgie13 Re: Wood Construction - 05/16/07 11:13 PM
I use electrical staples with a coating on the head to keep from crimping the cable too tight. you just have to watch not to hammer them in too far.
Posted By: Burgie13 Re: Wood Construction - 05/16/07 11:46 PM
We also use these mounting pads for multiple cables.

https://www.buycableties.com/catalog/?pid=86
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Wood Construction - 05/17/07 04:06 AM
Electrical handy straps, the plastic ones. The romex style ones will allow two data cables side by side and don't distort the cable.
Handy straps , Ideal, GB, Iberville all have them.
Posted By: Gene Re: Wood Construction - 05/17/07 05:18 AM
I use stak its ,made by 3m ,they are nail in,and have four fingers,and will easily hold 16 cables , also make a nice trunk line.
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Wood Construction - 05/17/07 05:59 AM
We dont cable until the drywall is on.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Wood Construction - 05/17/07 07:26 AM
We use nearly all of the above. Insulated romex staples, drive rings, stackits, Colorado Jims, and also if possible we don't run the cables until the drywall is hung. Only way to know they won't get something with a screw.

For wood frame I prefer insulated romex staples in the walls. For larger bundles drive rings.

-Hal
Posted By: 1864 Re: Wood Construction - 05/18/07 09:09 PM
I'm confused. Wait until the drywall is up? :confused: Seems like alot of extra work.

Just my slug's worth.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Wood Construction - 05/19/07 01:07 AM
If there are boxes (or rings) and conduit stubs, it's the same difference if the drywall is up, except you don't get drywall mud all over the cable, and there is no chance that they will ruin your cable with their rotozip tools.
Posted By: CCSGINC Re: Wood Construction - 05/19/07 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 1864:
I'm confused. Wait until the drywall is up? :confused: Seems like alot of extra work.
Not compared to re-pulling new lines that were damaged by the drywallers.

If your that woried, bid in flex duct and install it yourself, then pull your cables after the drywall is up.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Wood Construction - 05/19/07 05:12 PM
The last wood construction site I did, we used this
stapping .
Cut to length and screw down. It's also useful for mounting items like modems, routers and other material to a wall.
Posted By: phoneguywayne Re: Wood Construction - 05/21/07 09:35 AM
When I quoted the job I didn't include pipe stubs. I was give some plastic staples that I had forgotten about until they were mentioned on this post. Being as it open ceiling I had to drill in the walls. Thanks for all your help.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Wood Construction - 05/21/07 10:51 AM
I'm confused. Wait until the drywall is up? Seems like alot of extra work...

The reason is to protect the cables from the other trades. I like to get in as late as possible for this reason.

Whether or not you can use this approach depends on the construction. Normally you can do this in commercial construction with a hung or dropped ceiling. If you are lucky you may have the situation where the partitions are open above the ceiling with no top plate and no insulation. You can pretty much just drop the wire down the bay to your ring. Other times you will encounter top plates, sheetrock run all the way up and insulation. Even with insulation it's easy enough to fish. If you can, install a drag line before the rock gets hung. Then you have the best of both worlds.

-Hal
Posted By: DJG Re: Wood Construction - 05/21/07 04:49 PM
We also wait till the rock is up, in case of knee high walls, we go in when they have one side up.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help