atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hi All,

I just wanted to share my love/hate relationship with Structured Media Panels. I've done about 30 installs so far and a few cleanups.

A couple of reasons I love them.

1. Pre-fab design allows for clean installs
2. Easy to add components/modules.
3. It increases the value of the home.

Reason I hate them:

1. I've found that going over 8 data drops is a pain since you have to add multiple network switch modules. Why don't manufacturers make bigger density network switches(16 ports+) for their panels?
2. There is no easy way to mount DSL and cable modems and/or an associated Network Router.
3. Even though you can achieve a very nice clean and professional look, I've found making changes to these things are a pain. My motto is that once it's in..don't touch it.
4. This hate reasons actually deals with Builder installers who put these things in. The panels usually aren't implemented correctly and cables and just run within the panel without any cleanup or finalization. Really ugly pics I could show you guys.
5. While it seems that the cross connects are a nice addition...to me I think I'm doing double work instead of just using a regular 110 block
Hello and welcome to the board..Personally I do not like or use media panels. They look great at first..then bell comes in to make a change..module gets ripped out, cable company comes in...module gets ripped out. Happy homeowner gets into...nothing ever works right again. I personally like to build a nice backboard and if needed I will build a cabinet around that. This way I have plenty of room for everything, Bell or cable comes in they are familiar with what they are looking at either a 66 or a 110 block or both. Same with cable or Direct TV. They do look nice at first but go to hell peaty quickly.
LOL, I can't count how many truly hideous closets, garage walls, bedroom wall's I've had to redo just because the homeowner couldn't stand to look at them any more. Wall cabinets are very handy for hiding the more awful examples. My experience is strictly in data and coax, the phone guys are usually smart enough to hide the stuff were it won't matter how it looks.

That brings up an interesting point. What percent of phone guys know how to do Ethernet correctly compared to electricians? I'm guessing it's heavily in favor of the phone guys.
Much has been said on this topic here, do a search. A few months ago I started a post called "The Life of a Structured Wiring Panel". See if you can find it so you can see what we really think. There is no love lost, believe me.

-Hal
Originally posted by anthonyh:
Hello and welcome to the board..Personally I do not like or use media panels. They look great at first..then bell comes in to make a change..module gets ripped out, cable company comes in...module gets ripped out. Happy homeowner gets into...nothing ever works right again. I personally like to build a nice backboard and if needed I will build a cabinet around that. This way I have plenty of room for everything, Bell or cable comes in they are familiar with what they are looking at either a 66 or a 110 block or both. Same with cable or Direct TV. They do look nice at first but go to hell pretty quickly.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help