atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: apturacom extending t1 to rj45 jack - 05/22/07 11:26 AM
Last saturday was my first time that I have extended a cat5e cable from the demark to the termination point in the wiring closet and have just one question. I went to terminate the cable into a rj45 jack made or distributed by infinity but the jack color codes do not conform to tia568 standard. It starts of with white/blue and blue then white orange.

I ignored those and juse used the pin number to use the four wires 1245 for the t1 standards to terminate at the jack. Once that was done hooked up the cat5 molded strait though drop cable from there to the router. ATT could not telnet into it. I then put on a jack on the end of the cable and ATT could telnet into the router.

I checked the jack with a digital multimeter and got some odd sequence how its wired on its little board. Since I dont have time to mess with does rj45 jack come with a strait though configuration?

I have never questioned this because I have done my share of cat5 cable and did not have issues.

I was thinking of buying amp connectors with a strait though configuration to end this t1 extention.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 05/22/07 12:05 PM
It should definitely only involve pins 1,2,4 and 5, wired straight-through, but should NOT simply be terminated on an "RJ45" jack. It should be terminated using the proper jack that incorporates shorting bars to maintain loopback. These are not something you are going to find in a computer catalog.

The jack that you referred to as made by Infinity are probably the ones designed for USOC applications using RJ31X, RJ41X, RJ45S or RJ61X wiring patterns. Your devices need to be in compliance with RJ48C wiring patterns for a T1. I would advise against cutting corners with a $2.00 part that's carrying a T1 circuit.
Posted By: home2point0 Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 05/23/07 05:17 AM
here is more information.

https://www.arcelect.com/RJ48C_and_RJ48S_8_position_jack_.htm
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/02/07 10:13 AM
As I've been moving T1's this weekend, this comes in handy. I'm curious about this phrase describing the RJ48C in the link that home2 provided "...conductors 7 and 8 provide cable shield integrity..." I install cables for T1s same as I do for ethernet so looks like, if this an issue, I'm covered. Soooo, to make sure I'm reading this correctly, as long as I have pins 1,2,4, and 5, should be ok, right?

Also, how does one make those little loopback testers? Pins 1 and 2 to pins 4 and 5?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/02/07 10:38 AM
1-4 and 2-5.
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/02/07 10:42 AM
Originally posted by RATHER BE FISHING:
1-4 and 2-5.
1 goes to 4, and 2 goes to 5, for a loopback tester?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/02/07 10:56 AM
You got it.
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/02/07 11:14 AM
thanks
Posted By: RobCalltrol Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/05/07 09:16 AM
I make up my cross-overs and loopbacks using keystone jacks instead of crimping RJ45 plugs.... That way I just use standard pre-made straight-thru cables on either end, and it works perfectly well.
Posted By: satpir Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/14/07 11:05 PM
This RJ jack is RG48X, whAT IT HAS IS A SHORTING BAR BELOW THE ACTUAL PINS THEREFORE WHEN THE RJ45 PLUG IS TAKEN OUT THE SHORTING BAR WILL TOUCH TOGETHER THE PINS 1 2 & 4 5 AND THAN IT ACTS LIKE A LOOP BACK.
Posted By: ALLN1 Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 07/15/07 08:24 PM
satpir. PLEASE DON'T YELL :toast:
Posted By: Rain Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/03/09 11:10 AM
I am also confused by this...If we had to extend a T1 with Cat 5 to a biscuit jack, would we term w/b & blue,then w/o & orange, isn't that pins 1,2,4,5 on the patch cord?
Posted By: Rain Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/03/09 11:20 AM
In other words is the w/b and w/o still considered (tip) and my orange & blue still considered (ring) and as long as I do not terminate on my w/g (pin 3) I should have proper functionality, right?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/03/09 12:33 PM
Well like the others have said, you want to use a jack with the shorting bars, not just a standard 8p8c jack. You would just use the blue and orange pairs.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/03/09 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ALLN1:
satpir. PLEASE DON'T YELL :toast:
As SATPIR [not yelling] was typing...

"This RJ jack is RG48X, whAT IT HAS IS A SHORTING BAR..."

You will notice that everything typed after the letter "A" in the word what, or as typed "whAT" Let me see...what key is next to the "a" key?

Do I perhaps see a key with the letters...

Caps Lock

OMG...also know as "Oh my, God!*"

*God, god, gosh...et cetera

I think the culprit satpir is guilty of nothing more than hitting [Add Reply]
prior to [Review Post]

So now we should all either have a "GROUP HUG" or "DAMN HIM TO HELL"

...can you hear me now? :rofl:
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/03/09 05:30 PM
I love this plaCE...i IS SO MUCH FUN!
Posted By: justbill Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/03/09 05:36 PM
It was also more than two years ago. :scratch:
Posted By: Rain Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/04/09 05:45 AM
ok, my scenario is I have a Verizon locked box or I guess it is called a smartjack with 2 CPE's. I have to extend to 2nd floor using red/blue blue and red/orange orange pairs of the 25 pair house cable. How would I wire this coming out of the verizon box in the basement? Using a "B" configured biscuit jack and how would I punchdown on the block,in the usual order? Thanks for any help guys
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/04/09 06:17 AM
Wire up a jack 568-B. Punch down the White/Blue and White/Orange pairs from the jack to the Red/Blue and Red/Orange pairs on the 25-pair house cable. You won't need the Green or Brown pairs from the jack. Do the same thing at the other end. Use a Cat-5 patch cord to go from the Smartjack to the jack downstairs. Your circuit is now extended upstairs, but without the shorting bars for loopback, so you might want to use a T1 loopback plug to test back to the Smartjack (check for the RLOS light to come on with nothing plugged in, and to go out when the loopback is plugged in.

If the future, it might be best to start a new topic, instead of adding on to a contentious thread from a couple of years ago.
Posted By: Rain Re: extending t1 to rj45 jack - 11/05/09 05:53 AM
Thank you for your detailed answer Tony, it is much appreciated.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help