atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: metelcom ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/09/07 02:49 PM
Silversam asked about using ty-raps on Cat 6 cabling in the pic thread and I thought it might be a good discussion as this is the first I have heard ty-raps can't be used. So whats the scoop? What do you use? Also be nice to know what other devices are being used for securing and anchoring wires.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/09/07 02:51 PM
J-hooks instead of bridle rings, for example Caddy CAT21 and CAT32, and velcro ties instead of nylon tie wraps.
Posted By: Clinton Re: ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/09/07 04:13 PM
That is correct, hook and loop (velcro) fasterners are to be used in place of tie wraps now. This is because tie wraps can be tightened to the point where they deform the cable. It's the same idea as with a kink in the cable, it's enough to cause a pair to untwist somewhat at the point where the cable is deformed.

I'll still use tie wraps in some areas. If you don't overtighten, and don't support the weight of many cables with a tie wrap, you won't have a problem. For anything visible at the backboard/rack, I try to stick with only velcro.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/09/07 05:17 PM
I've read a fair amount on the topic and they even wanted no tyraps or staples used on Cat 5, let alone 5E or 6.

I still use tyraps, but just tight enough to hold them. Staples as well, but very sparingly and only if there's no other way. I haven't needed to install cat 6 yet though.

Dave
Posted By: Silversam Re: ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/09/07 06:10 PM
I don't have a current copy of the EIA/TIA standards (at about $1,000+ a copy that shouldn't be a surprise), but everything I've read for the last umpteen years has said no tyraps.

I have seen with my own eyes a job where exposed cable (also a no-no) was stapled to the wall and the staples caused the cable to fail - and that was Cat5 - not even 5E.

I have installed Cat 6 and Cat 6 screened (foil shielded) and it's a pain. Also HUGE -all conduits and raceways have to be oversized to handle multiple runs. Real fun.

But really guys - thank heavens for this constant "need" for customers to upgrade their cable - look at all the work it's gotten us!

Sam
Posted By: Noisycow Re: ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/21/07 02:10 AM
The no-tiewrap general rule is there because of installers placing thin cable ties around wires and cranking them down tight. Wide, quality ties (Panduit) that are just finger tight are fine .. unless the account specifically requests velcro.
Posted By: HarryLeeSmith Re: ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/21/07 05:48 AM
I agree, I use velcro on all data cabling installs...
Posted By: Ozzy Re: ty-raps & Cat6 - 09/23/07 09:28 PM
Speaking of velcro, where can I get some cheap? I is really pricey to use throughout entire run. I only use velcro when I reach the patch panel and switch area. It looks excellent. Otherwise I use Arlington loops, J hooks, and if it's 3 cables or less tiewraps.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help