atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: surdel drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 08:41 PM
We have a backboard install in a resteraunt where there is no room to mount it in the office. The only other logical space is next to the office on tiled wall. I want to know is there a special hole saw needed to drill though tile vs wood or sheet rock?
Posted By: justbill Re: drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 08:54 PM
If you're just drilling, use a carbide bit at slow speed.
Posted By: surdel Re: drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 08:56 PM
Well need to drill a large enough hole so the cat5 cables can come though it. I really dont think a regular hole saw can go though it.
Posted By: metelcom Re: drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 09:00 PM
use a masonay drill bit but don't use a hammer drill or push to hard depending on the tile some drill easy and some crack easy If your going to mount a backboard over the hole it maybe easier to remove the tile and just drill the wall.
Posted By: justbill Re: drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 09:01 PM
How many? Carbide at a low speed and keeping it cool will drill through ceramic tile.
Posted By: Kumba Re: drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 09:10 PM
If you need to make a big hole and taking the tile down is not an option then you can use a core drill. This will be nice and messy. You'll also have a lot of fun holding it up on the wall without it moving smile

It can be done tho. Seen an electrician do just that. Ofcourse he was going through an 8" solid concrete wall. Still dont know why they didn't use a jack hammer.
Posted By: rustynails Re: drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 09:24 PM
Need to pony up at least 100+ for a proper bit. Keep in mind, may be easier to dig out the six inch wall tile, especially if its being covered by a backboard anyway.
Posted By: Gene Re: drilling though tile? - 09/09/07 09:57 PM
I have drilled a small pilot hole then ,as Bill stated used a carbide bit on low ,watch out though ,It is the glaze that will get you,And I have allways drilled from the tilled side. never have drilled a tiled both side wall.
Posted By: WRichey Re: drilling though tile? - 09/10/07 06:19 AM
Get a grout remover. Use it and remove enough tiles to install a proper back board. The customer needs to understand this has to happen.

I personally dont like having to fish wires in a hole in a wall. Tile is even worse, have you ever gone in to add a wire after an install like that?

leave all wiring exposed and dressed nice.
Posted By: skip555 Re: drilling though tile? - 09/10/07 07:14 AM
Diamond hole saw will do the job

personally , I would keep the cable out of the wall
Posted By: thirstbuster Re: drilling though tile? - 09/10/07 09:23 AM
I would tend to follow WRichey's suggestion.

How many cables need to pass through? You may be best to knock out one tile and replace with something more suitable. For what it's worth, I have had to go through tile several times, and I have found a masonary bit on a regular (read non-hammer) drill was the best bet.

Can you install on the tile wall? Its easy enough to use a small masonary bit on the grout and hang equipment with anchors.. of course, it depends on what else is on that wall.
Posted By: hbiss Re: drilling though tile? - 09/10/07 09:40 AM
What I want to know is how you take these jobs when you have no idea how to do them.

-Hal
Posted By: EV607797 Re: drilling though tile? - 09/10/07 10:04 AM
Well, I'll throw a suggestion in here even though I'd probably avoid this installation myself. Why not just gently chip out the grout around one single tile, then pry the tile out from the wall? After that's done, you can cut a smaller hole in the backer board or gypsum board behind it, cut in a low-voltage mounting ring and place a one- or two-gang face plate with a single hole in it to dress it up.

HERE is a link to the type of plate I'm talking about. In a commercial kitchen application, the health department will probably require that the opening be sealed with 100% silicone caulk once the cables are run through it.

Of course, you should save the tile(s) removed and keep them somewhere nearby in an envelope or something for use in the future if the hole needs to be covered back up or if they need one elsewhere.

As far as regular holes, say about 1/4", all you have to do is use a punch and lightly tap the center of the hole enough to chip the tile's glaze finish. After that, a brand-new 1/4" masonry bit will do the job. Just don't press too hard or go too fast, like everyone else has already mentioned. Don't count on using standard plywood though; wood is generally not permitted in these areas. You'll probably need to get a piece of poly plastic for your backboard.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: drilling though tile? - 09/10/07 10:12 AM
Is the backboard going to just sit out in the open? That's not a good idea anywhere, but especially not in a restaurant. I would mount a suitable metal pull box (my favorite size is 24" by 24" by 6") on the wall, and run the conduit(s) up the wall into the ceiling, Alternatively, remove a tile or two, make a 2" knock out in the rear of the pullbox with your Greenlee punch and run the wires through a sleeve in the wall.

Look in the Yellow Pages for "Licensed Electrician" or "Telecommunications Contractor" and you'll probably find someone who will know how to do it for you.
Posted By: surdel Re: drilling though tile? - 09/10/07 07:04 PM
I talked with my supervisor and what we are going to do is just take the tiles out that needs to be drilled. Easy enough. Hbiss, this is the ONLY resteraunt in a chain of resteraunts that has tiles in the kitchen. IF the office was large enough then the backboard would be mounted in it and I would have never posted this question about tiles here.

eve607797,

This wall it outside of the kitchen area but faces the opening. Not in view of the dinning area at all.

So going to chip out the grout and if it does not pop off then will crack it with the hammer and remove it. Done job.
Posted By: Frank_DaFoneguy Re: drilling though tile? - 09/19/07 10:57 AM
If the tile is glazed (surface finish), nick the shiny surface with a screwdriver, chisel, or something gently. Once the glaze is broken you can access the softer "body" of the tile, usually plaster/clay or such.

Drill GENTLY, dribbling water onto the surface of the tile. The dribble will keep particles floated away from your work area, and also prevent flying chips and raised dust.

Once you get through the tile, run your cable.

I've run cable, I've installed tile.....not a big deal either way.
Posted By: Burgie13 Re: drilling though tile? - 09/19/07 08:45 PM
web page

Here is a type of bit that I have used in the past that worked great for drilling into tile.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help