atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: IPKII No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 06:03 AM
I just saw some station cable on a customer site last night that I was re-dropping due to some walls moving. When I went to re-jack, there was no wh/bl pair! I stripped the jacket back almost a foot at one drop, even. Also back at the 66 blocks, only the wh/o thru wh/br were terminated. Looking at the jacket, I could'nt see the cable brand, but it did say cat-3.

Btw, the jacket was green.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 07:22 AM
I've never seen that type of cable. If I were to venture a guess, perhaps it was cable designed specifically for data use, where pairs two and three were all that was needed. That still doesn't explain why the brown pair is there, but again, it's just a guess.
Posted By: Paul Coxwell Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 07:36 AM
How long was the run concerned? Is there a chance that the cable might have had the W/B pair originally and somebody just pulled it right out of the jacket?
Posted By: Clinton Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 08:30 AM
Did you check the jacket to see if the pair count, AWG and such were stamped on? If we know who made the cable, their website might give a clue as to why it's missing the blue pair.

Maybe Paul is onto something...maybe someone pulled the blue pair right out to use as jumper wire. Doing that on a cable that's more than a few feet long would be quite a challenge though.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 01:45 PM
The original installer probably cut the cable too short and tried to "Stretch it a little", byt pulled way too hard....

Dave
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 03:49 PM
Any chance the white/brown is actually white/blue under a different kelvin color light? Take a piece out into the sunlight and look at it. We've all seen pretty odd color changes due to the color of the lights. This is really true with flourescent lights. Some have a 'blue' appearance, some 'pinkish' and some 'whitish'. How many times have you had to use your flashlight to tell which pair is black/orange and which pair is black/brown? "SEE" what I mean? John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: justbill Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 04:49 PM
Valid point John. I've had to break out the mag light on some existing cables.
Posted By: 1864 Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/11/07 10:03 PM
Looks like a worst case scenario for a bad box of 4 pair. :confused:

Please let us know who the manufacturer is.
Posted By: SST Re: No wh/bl pair? - 09/12/07 08:05 AM
Maybe it's Chinese cable, when they where forced to removed the led from the cable there wasn't enoungh material for the w/bl pair.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help