atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TITOG GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 12:32 PM
I NEED TO GROUND A CAT3 25 PR SHIELDED CABLE AND 4 PR CAT5e, MY SUPPLIER DOES NOT STOCK PARTS FOR THIS.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Posted By: WRichey Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 12:50 PM
If your grounding the shield ask your supply house for Gator clips. Or maybe ask a field tech if he has any around

There are several sources including gray bar that stock this stuff
Posted By: MacOSX Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 12:51 PM
1. You can get all the parts you need at any Graybar. (Google says there are 4 in the Miami area : Click here to see them.)

2. Is the Cat5e shielded too?

3. Is your supplier the one who sold you the cable?

Can you turn off the CAPS key, for your reply?
smile

Thanks
Posted By: hbiss Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 12:55 PM
I NEED TO GROUND A CAT3 25 PR SHIELDED CABLE AND 4 PR CAT5e...

Hold on here a minute guys. We don't know what kind of cable this guy is talking about.

How about he gives us a stock number and manufacturer THEN we will recommend the proper method.

-Hal
Posted By: TITOG Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 03:44 PM
I get both stock numbers tomorrow. both cables are underground shielded. My supplier is asking me to find what i need and they will order it for me
Posted By: justbill Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 04:08 PM
If they are both rated direct buried than the gopher clips will work on the 25pr. I would imagine the CAT5 would take an F-connector or something similar as it's too small for the clips.
Posted By: TITOG Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 04:59 PM
who carries them?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 06:15 PM
What are gator clips/gopher clips?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/10/08 08:01 PM
3M #4460 will probably work for a typical 25 pair shielded cable to clamp onto the outer jacket's sheath. It can be used for much smaller cables by spreading the cable sheath open to allow it to be inserted between the cable core and the sheath.

The 4460 is also known as the "gator" clamp. Here is a link to the 3M bond clamp page:

Check this out

Any wholesale supplier should have these clamps, such as Graybar, Anixter, CSC, etc.

I am assuming that you are working with standard outside plant cable. When you mentioned "CAT 3" cable, I doubt that this is what you are using. It sounds as if you are using indoor cable that is shielded with a standard drain wire. If this is the case, then just collect all of the drain wires and terminate them at a common termination point.
Posted By: TITOG Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/11/08 01:57 AM
Thanks I that should fit both cables
Posted By: justbill Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/11/08 06:17 AM
Ed beat me as usual. Here\'s another link to bonding clamps and clips.

There are some good drop wire bonds which I think would work better for your CAT5 but I can't seem to locate them or remember what they are called. Maybe Ed knows what I'm talking about.
Posted By: skip555 Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/11/08 07:30 AM
I see your in Miami looks like New Tech has what you need
Posted By: hbiss Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/11/08 07:36 AM
Yeah, I can't see how even a small gator clamp is going to work on 4 pair. The 6 pr buried service wire ground clamps would probably be more suitable but I can't find them either.

-Hal
Posted By: CCSGINC Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/11/08 03:31 PM
We use the 4460's as Ed has shown above. In most cases, you can spread the sheilding out and get it to fit on smaller cables. You may not be able to seat it all the way down inside the cable, but should be able to get enough to create a satisfactory bond.
Posted By: justbill Re: GROUND SHIELDED CABLE - 03/11/08 08:18 PM
Here\'s one type for drop wire. There are other types but still can't seem to come up with them. Of course you don't need the strap these are mounted on.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help