atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: surdel what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 10:51 AM
I just wanted to know if there is a tool that can short out the pairs on one end of a bix 1a and test the other end for continuity quickly?

Also, is there a tool that can terminate all 25 pairs in one punch down on the bix waffer?
Posted By: Clinton Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 11:53 AM
I'd have to say that no, neither of those items exist. A punch tool capable of punching all 25 pairs at once would require a lot of force. I'm pretty sure something would break if you used such a tool.

Best way to check the terminations at the BIX rail is a visual inspection. Double check before and after you punch. If you suspect a problem with the cable itself, you could punch down half a patch cable at either end and test 4 pairs at a time.
Posted By: surdel Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 12:47 PM
Clinton,

I figured this would be the answer wink I always inspect my wafers to see if the wire was totally punched down.

Thanks wink
Posted By: justbill Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 12:56 PM
Not sure why you'd want to do this and I don't know BIX. But you could loop all your tips and all your rings and short them and just run the block for opens. This won't tell you if you have split pairs through.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 03:23 PM
Surdel....

There is a tool that you can use to short out the pairs one by one.
Not what it was designed for, but if you use the QTBIX17A and clip the clips together, it would short them out, then use a regulat toner or ohm meter at the other end.

Here's a Link

Once you go BIX, you'll never go back!
Posted By: justbill Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 03:30 PM
Back in my splicing days we tested cables for shorts, grounds, crosses and opens, but not for splits and tramps. After I got into the equipment world we never tested the cables. Not sure why you would need to, if something doesn't work than test the pair. So I'm still not sure what your purpose is for wanting to do this.
Posted By: Silversam Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 06:12 PM
I got a contract from Sprint a few years back to test the cables from the MDF to the Sprint POP in every CO in NYC. (Almost 100 locations)

Apparently 9X had some shady subcontractors do the cable installation and terminations and every time Sprint tried to turn up a customer, the install failed. In almost all case the problem was the MDF to POP cable.

Sprint asked 9X for test results and 9X said: "if you want test results - test them yourselves". So they hired us and I did. Some COs were fine But others....Massive troubles. Hideous work. Really ugly, ugly, ugly.

We looked into finding something that would make testing these cables (Between 600 and 3600 pairs per CO) easier. In the end we used two butt sets in series with a -48V DC power supply. We talked out every wire. Put the butt set on W/BL & BL/W. Get continuity. Talk across the pair. It's good. Leave one lead on W/BL and move the other to W/O. Talk out that pair. Keep moving one side of the circuit one wire at a time and verify that the pair is clean with no hums, opens, etc.

It took a little time but it worked.Once the crew gets used to it they can fly through the work.

Sam
Posted By: justbill Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/15/08 06:26 PM
I've done it that way too Sam. When splicing it was a one man show frame to end.
Posted By: Silversam Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/16/08 05:38 AM
Bill -

That's how I learned it and it works. Siemon's has (had?) a tool to test amphenoled 25 pair cables. I don't remember the part number, but it was two yellow boxes with male and female amps on each one and 25 leds. You plugged your cable into both ends and it lit up up appropriately.

We had one in the shop years ago but never really used it much. I think it seemed like a good idea to the boss but we never had occasion to drag it out more than once or twice.

Sam
Posted By: jwooten Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/16/08 02:32 PM
Sam and Bill, this is one of those skills that's dying! We used that technique to "ring out" newly installed cables aboard ship as conductor sheathing was usually all black! Somewhere in my junk I've still got a headset with mic wired with a battery.
Posted By: Silversam Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/16/08 03:04 PM
Well it's not dying yet. I taught six young fellows to do it. They did it often enough, I don't think they've forgotten how.

Sam
Posted By: 1864 Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/16/08 06:24 PM
Tried and true, Sam.
Posted By: justbill Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/17/08 06:30 AM
Jim, I was going to mention the battery click method, but didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about.

Sam, that really surprises me that it's still taught. Good work.

I said previously that the test we ran didn't check for splits and tramps. That's because only one person did the testing. The method Sam stated using two people does.
Posted By: bfdatacom Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/17/08 07:32 AM
If you are testing from punchblock to punchblock you could use a 4-pair adapter with RJ45 female, with a jumper cord and a simple Modtap or equivalent continuity tester, and you would have to confirm the 25th pair was good visually. Or if terminated in amphenol one could get the right sex "harmonica" with RJ45, and test for 4-pair continuity that way. Right guys?
Posted By: Silversam Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/17/08 07:59 AM
That would work.

Do they make mod adapters for Bix? The last time I worked on them there was very little modular - mostly all hardwired cords.

Sam
Posted By: jacktel Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/18/08 07:30 AM
I have one and seldom use it,have 2 tap 50 mods and 2 110/25 pr. connector mods. The 110 mods came from Independent technologies.
John
Posted By: Astrotel Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/27/08 10:09 AM
You could always test the lines with a Dynatel965 or even a Sidekick, both will tell you what you need to know about the cable the Dynatel will give you cable length and length to the trouble...
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/27/08 07:18 PM
We had these connectors when Bix first came out but I have never seen anyone using them. They would clip over the Bix strip and all the pairs would come out on pins. They probably dont make them anymore. We never tested inside cables and if there was a problem we would fix it then.

[Linked Image from i228.photobucket.com]
Posted By: ThisMetzen Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/10/17 01:53 AM
hi im new,i have a Dynatel965td and this is about the only site that does not have some weird crypto talk and a bunch of shady looking activity, so i hope you guys don't mind if i come try and bug y'all for a root/superuser.....

i have all the necessary proof of my legitimacy, i was a satellite operator (25S) and now own a small Electronic Engineering and PCB distribution company.

Will prove these to be fact upon PM, i would really appreciate the help. Thanks
Posted By: EV607797 Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/10/17 02:17 AM
OK, what do you need? You're certainly welcome here as a member. My only suggestion would be that you check the date of a post that you tag onto. This one is almost nine years old. Feel free to chime in anywhere.
Posted By: justbill Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/10/17 02:23 AM
Welcome to the board, you'll also get better response if you fill out your profile. It's pretty general, no ones going to come looking for you. call
Posted By: ThisMetzen Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/10/17 03:04 AM
no i def noticed, however when i called 3M i was met with something along the lines of.... "that is no longer an item that is used by our company" followed by a click, what i heard was shove that root up your A** and do not call back.

Geeze even L3 was friendlier than that......
Posted By: ThisMetzen Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/10/17 03:06 AM
to the looking for me thing, im in a lot of news in and out of iraq, i seriously doubt anyone with the slightest of skill would have any amount of trouble finding me.
however i took the time to note, i appreciate all the advice i can have thrown at me.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/10/17 03:13 AM
Latitude: 31.959999
Longitude: -106.4021

Close?
Posted By: justbill Re: what tool to test 25 pair - 03/10/17 04:06 AM
Locking this topic. ThisMetzen open a new topic with your question.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help