atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: PENCOM Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 06:17 PM
Just completed an install of 60 data locations using Allen Tel 55-16 jacks ( new re-designed ) and had sevral failures. Most of the wires break off at the termination point or V where the wire makes contact with the metal part of the jack. Anyone else hgad this problem? I've used 4 diffrent 110 punch tools, new blades, even a blade I ground down to modify in hopes of stopping the punch blade from breaking the wire. No luck. Allentel says I'm the only one complaining. I've boxed up the bad jacks with the 3" tail of cut terminated wire still connected and sent them off to there engineering department. will wait to here from them. Any one else having problems with these jacks?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 06:50 PM
Why are you using a punch down tool? Shouldn't just the caps and figertip pressure be sufficient?

Most brands only make them 110 "compatible", but this does not mean that a 110 tool is required to terminate upon them. This also means that using the full impact mode of the tool is enough to cause the problem you are experiencing.

I know that Sprint/North Supply had a bit too much of a transition between the throat of the clip and where the copper is actually forced down with their 66 blocks. This sharp edge was enough to break the conductor. I don't know the outcome of that.

Something similar came up with their IDC jack modules. It was determined that impact termination was not required and such rapid termination caused this edge to be enough to sever the wire.

Most supply house brands don't manufacture their own products; they just use a regular off-shore manufacturer that private-brands them for them.

You weren't using CAT6 cable with 5E or lower modules, were you? Remember that CAT6 is larger than 24AWG (23.5AWG) and if so, this might be the problem.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 07:14 PM
Ed, by the looks of those jacks, they are similar to ICC's jacks. I have used a punchdown tool on those and never had a problem. Truth be told, I use Leviton jacks unless I have to match what the customer has. The alarm supply places sell ICC so that's what the 'beanie boys' put in, and consequently I get to clean up laugh
Posted By: skip555 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 07:30 PM
Ive used a lot of both the allentel and Icc I usually use punch tool and have had very few failures

how are you supporting the jack when you punch down ?

I always use one of these
Posted By: hbiss Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 07:39 PM
Use Leviton and the Harris/Fluke Jack Rapid press and you won't have to worry about it.

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 07:44 PM
I'm still debating on whether to buy a JackRapid. I saw them on clearance at Home Depot not too long ago.
Posted By: Kevin-MI Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 08:22 PM
I have the Jack Rapid tool for the Systimax MGS400 jacks. Works awesome. Just picked up a new Leviton Jack Rapid tool on ebay for $39. There is another one on there right now.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 09:02 PM
I would be careful about buying things at HD and Lowes. Lots of things are de-spec'd- from windows and doors, paint, paint brushes, plumbing faucets, locksets, and especially tools. They may be brand name but they ain't the same! That's how they can sell so cheep. Do you really want the same tools as a DIY or Joe Jackleg?

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/14/08 10:28 PM
True...but I have bought Klein tools there many times and never had a problem. Of course since I work at a hardware store I shouldn't be going to HD or Lowes...
Posted By: cosmo57 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/15/08 08:55 AM
We purchased one a bout a year ago for the Cat 5E.
We are using it for the school jobs we have going. We have the Cat 6 die and it is working great. leviton had a deal at Electric Supply, if you purchased more than 100 cat 6 jacks you got the tool and the die for free. We are doing approx 1500 so I split the order and got 2.

Good Luck

Cosmo
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/15/08 10:22 AM
We use the AT-55-16 everyday and never had a problem, I always use a punch tool.
Posted By: PENCOM Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/15/08 06:14 PM
Steve are you using the new style with the one piece cap or the old style with the two caps? Ed yes this was a re-work job and the existing wire is cat6 the new runs are cat5E the problem was with both style of wires. Allentels tech guys said " that shouldnt be a factor ".They also said 110 punch is the way to go , low setting.And by the way thanks for all responders this really is one of the best web sites I've ever encountered.
Posted By: PENCOM Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 09/15/08 06:24 PM
Skip sorry forgot you! I'm using the same but made by leviton. And are you using the style pictured in picture of the palm pad device or the new style jack. I've used probably 10,000 plus of the versa tap ( old style ) without a failure or problem, It's only the new style I've had problems with.
Posted By: Chuck255 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 10/09/08 06:07 PM
Just a couple notes on what people have said in this thread:
I was told that even though you can use the cap to terminate the cable at the jack, that is not CAT 5e or CAT6 spec. The end of the wire is not suppose to stick out from the termination area of the jack and could make it fail the certification testing.

Use a 110 punch down tool set on low impact! If you are having problems with broken wires, check your 110 blade, punch tool and possibly even the cable. Some of these companies that are selling "cheap" cat 5e and cat 6 cable are getting it from China and it isn't good cable, I've seen it where it won't even stay connected at the jack or patch panel because the wire itself is too thin in spots, stripping the wire back and upon visual inspection, it appeared to vary between 24 and 28 gauge, although, I didn't have anything to actually measure it with. Lesson learned: You get what you pay for.
Posted By: Spuds Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 10/14/08 08:28 PM
I use the Jack Rapid press. I have to say this is one of the best tools I have. It saves time as well as a lot of sore hands. Well worth the money.

Mike
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 10/18/08 07:18 AM
We been using the new style
Posted By: PENCOM Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 10/29/08 05:54 PM
Steve thanks for responding I've sent the jacks to Allen Tel Tech's and I'll update you all when the reply. It must be me screwing these things up as I seem to be the only one having trouble. I can tell you this though I just completed a job with 120 Cat 5E jacks ( Leviton ) no problems same tool same fool ( Me )! GO UT ! Steve nice bass, is that douglas lake in the background?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Allentel AT55-16 jacks - 10/29/08 09:46 PM
Which UT would that be? LOL
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help