atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ATechguy Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/22/08 07:07 AM
HI! i am trying to figure out what really is the benefits of going fiber? Running thru underground conduit to body shop and office, Network and Mics Tel.s I have not hooked up fiber before with media converters and type of fiber i will need ?? I now if i put in cooper it all will work , I just am nervous of complications with fiber etc . Should i stay with copper?? Building is about 275 ft away to first IDF. Thanks :confused:
Posted By: WRichey Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/22/08 09:33 AM
Pro's for Cat6: No need for extra outlets at either end, sets just connect. (still no need for cat6 when 5E will do).

Cons for Cat6: price prohibitive, speed prohibitive, labor intensive, prone to acts of nature beyond your control, grounding issues if not done correctly, ROI almost void.

Pro's for fiber: capable of extreme bandwidth, not prone to weather related issues, no grounding issues, lower cost, less labor, ROI over ten year spread is very good.

Con's for fiber: special tools required, translators or fiber ready switch's required (still cheaper than cat6), testing equipment for fault finding is non-absorb able by customer.

As for what type of fiber, that will depend on several factors. First being are your going to remote the 0x16 module? Second being location of terminations. With that in mind a multi strand direct burial fiber (multi mode) should be fine.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/22/08 10:15 AM
I would vote for fiber. Besides the grounding issues that WRichey mentioned you could also have access issues between sites if you pull copper.

I got called to one job once. Two buildings about 100' apart. Cat 5E between them. Computers in Bldg A can sign on to servers in BldgA but not in Bldg B. And vice versa. Drove everyone nuts.

The two data closets did not have a common ground. Had to pull one in (should have been done anyway) and that cleared the problem.

Another problem with copper is the distance. With the remote site 275' away you're probably well over the EIA/TIA maximum of 90 meters (rack to jack). That doesn't mean it won't work, but it may not work well.

Even in conduit, I would get outdoor rated cable, regardless of which media I chose. Especially in Canada.

Sam
Posted By: jwooten Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/22/08 11:16 AM
Run both! If you're not fiber equipped, hire someone. Your customer will thank you!
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/22/08 01:03 PM
Thanks for all your insight, a tech friend of mind said i couldn't run the nortel stations on the fiber which i thought you could if you had separate extra strands , iknow there is other equipment involved at both ends , is this true?? What multi media converters are reliable?? What has to be done to make the network work when you connect everything??There is a I.T. Guy but i don't know what his level of Fiber Experience is .! SOO Sorry i sound like an amateur. eek
Maybe this needs to move to the Nortel section to get the technical details on extending the 0X16's range? Just a thought. John C.
Posted By: KLD Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/22/08 06:56 PM
Nortel has equipment to ride a T-1 point to point. Then the sets hook up to the "channel" unit at the far site. Ain't cheap...works great. Been there done that.

Posting in Nortel might be a good idea.

call
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/22/08 07:25 PM
Thanks i will use copper for telephones and fiber for network,.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/23/08 05:32 AM
If you're going to run copper for the phones make sure you get OSP cable and don't forget the protectors.

Sam
Posted By: ATechguy Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/23/08 06:05 PM
Thanks Sam already have protectors , and will be ordering The 25pr OSP Cable, 6 stran MM gel filled Fiber with pull eyes on both ends 6 SC connectors pre terminated, 4 Media converters for network and printer server , fiber box kits ,fiber jumpers , etc. 1st Fiber job hope all works out smoothly. wink
Posted By: rcsinfo Re: Fiber optic cable verses Cat6a - 09/23/08 09:47 PM
Couple of quick things on the network side:

Check to make sure the existing network switch doesn't already have an port for a fiber module. Newer switches will have a port for a SFP or mini-GBIC module while older ones use a GBIC module. Both allow the fiber to plug directly into the switch. Fiber modules are usually cheaper than media converters.

If I am reading you right, it looks like you are planning on two fiber pairs with media converters on both ends to connect two devices in the remote office back to the main office switch. You might think about putting a switch in the remote office that is fiber capable. Then you only need to terminate one pair and can add more network devices to the remote office in the future.

Also since the cable is pre-terminated, you may want to consider LC ends over the SC because they are smaller and easier to fit through the conduit. If you are using fiber patch cables on both ends you can do LC to SC patch cables if you need the SC connectors for the equipment.

Finally make sure that you follow the manufacture's bend radius instructions for the fiber. Fiber is way more picky about sharp bends than copper.

Hope that helps!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help