atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Bolts Upright Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 02:48 PM
Anyone ever seen this before?

https://www.monoprice.com/products/...id=311&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Does it work? I'm inclined to say this is not for a real phone guy to use. But for an office where there is no technician... some data dudes putting in their own little network.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 03:21 PM
just a tooless jack with a hinge no reason why it wouldn't work
Posted By: KLD Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 07:05 PM
Yep, not a new idea, not the first one to bring this out....BUT....
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 07:24 PM
several manufacturers make them...ICC, Panduit, etc.
YMMV.
I stick with Leviton keystone jacks.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 07:28 PM
this is the first one I've seen with a hinged cap

[Linked Image from images.monoprice.com]
Posted By: hbiss Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 08:17 PM
No reason you couldn't do that with any keystone jack. Just squeeze the stuffer or dust cap on with a pair of pliers and cut the tails off with cutters.

Not me though. Leviton and the Jackrapid tool, I really don't want to spend any more time than I have to wiring jacks.

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 08:27 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
No reason you couldn't do that with any keystone jack. Just squeeze the stuffer or dust cap on with a pair of pliers and cut the tails off with cutters.

Not me though. Leviton and the Jackrapid tool, I really don't want to spend any more time than I have to wiring jacks.

-Hal
me to Hal ,I wont be ordering any but this one is somewhat unique with the hinge and latch to hold it in place it looks like it would work fairly well as a tooless jack
Posted By: hbiss Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/03/08 08:46 PM
Tooless? Somebody is going to have to have some pretty strong fingers to squeeze that thing shut.

-Hal
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/06/08 08:58 AM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Tooless? Somebody is going to have to have some pretty strong fingers to squeeze that thing shut.

-Hal
Agreed. Tooless seems like a misnomer. Hard to believe you wouldn't have to use some snips or small wire cutters to cut the wire. Maybe tooless in the sense of not requiring something found in a common tool box, a punch down tool.
Posted By: jacktel Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/06/08 01:29 PM
I saw some hinged last week,looked like old ICC type with wires inserted into slots then push down the cap,Called P3s. I like the look of the one above,but will it allow certification to gig speed?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/06/08 01:34 PM
I've never used anything other than fingertip pressure for ICC or ATT, etc. branded jacks. Well, I take that back, I have used scissors or dikes to clip off the excess wire.

I think that the people selling punch tools (remember when only a few people sold them?) are leading to this frenzy of punching wires down on jacks.

My guess is that the rush of newbie cable installers don't know any better.
Posted By: Jim Cooper Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/06/08 02:48 PM
I keep a couple of these in my bag for when I need to put on a jack and misplace my punchdown tool.

https://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7669

They work pretty well, you just have to get everything lined up and trimmed to size before you crimp.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/06/08 06:19 PM
I use the dust cover to crimp between my thumb and forefinger. Snip off the excess and done.

Works with Hubbell, Leviton and Panduit. (though Hubbell is our most commonly used brand)
Posted By: Silversam Re: Tooless Keystone Jack ... ? - 10/07/08 06:18 AM
The "punch-less" Panduit jacks work very well - but ONLY if you leave a little excess when you trim the wires. Cut them flush and they'll pop out (inside where you can't see them of course) when you crimp the jack.

I personally saw 85% failure rate on one (thankfully small) job. After redoing the jacks and leaving about 1/32-1/16" overage they went in 100%.

I don't know if the documentation states this or not.

A word to the wise.

Sam
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help