atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: BigMatty new construction - where place demarc - 10/31/08 06:35 PM
hello, i am an IT guy and a hobbiest w/ electrical. i try and get things as close to code as possible, even if not going to be inspected.

can anyone tell me what the recommended distance from an outbuilding's sub-panel to a telco (data, voice) demarc location is?

i believe 2" is code for wiring encased in sheathing, but it must be more space than that that is required...
Posted By: EV607797 Re: new construction - where place demarc - 10/31/08 08:31 PM
Matty, we are chock full of help here, but would you please elaborate upon exactly what you are planning to do?

Are you meaning "distance" or "separation".
Posted By: hbiss Re: new construction - where place demarc - 10/31/08 09:15 PM
I believe he means separation between the panel and the demarc enclosure located next to each other on a backboard or wall.

The Code is silent on that which means that you use common sense. Leave enough room so that you can open the covers on the demarc.

That 2 inch requirement is for services run down the outside of a house or building. The CATV and Telco cables must be at least 2" from the electrical. Once inside there is no restriction.

-Hal
Posted By: BigMatty Re: new construction - where place demarc - 10/31/08 11:01 PM
Awesome guys thanks!
Hal, that answers my question.

Ed, thanks for your help too. To answer your question, I am doing the wiring for a shed I am having built. Its about 300sq ft, and it certainly feels more like a mother-in-law than a shed. I am doing both the low voltage and regular eletrical on it.

I'm not in the trade, but I have been doing "wiring" all my life (started in high school working at a car stereo shop). I am in IT, so I've done lots of low voltage. Since getting my first house 5 years ago have I been focused on making things "up to code". I use projects I want to do at home or at work as good excuses to learn more.

I do realize that I will almost certainly overlook something that a professional would catch. Still, I am okay with getting "close" to code. Some people I ask for advice tell me "well, if one part isnt up to code then the whole things not up to code, so dont bother." To me that seems like the wrong way to look at things.

I am excited to find this site, its clearly (and has already for me proven to be) a valuable resource! Thanks you two!
Posted By: hbiss Re: new construction - where place demarc - 11/02/08 07:12 AM
I'm not going to comment on your doing your own electrical work other than to say you are playing with possible loss of life and property. That's the difference between low voltage and electrical work. I commend you for being a "student" of the Code, but the Code is not a "how to" manual. It's not in any way meant to replace an education and experience.

If you are so sure of your abilities I strongly urge you to abide by your jurisdiction's requirements as far as permitting (if necessary) and then have your work inspected.

-Hal
Posted By: MooreTel Re: new construction - where place demarc - 11/02/08 07:46 AM
Originally posted by BigMatty:
....Still, I am okay with getting "close" to code. Some people I ask for advice tell me "well, if one part isnt up to code then the whole things not up to code, so dont bother." To me that seems like the wrong way to look at things.
CLOSE?????

How many "Close to code" defects does it take for loss of life & property to become acceptable?

As Hal says, you ARE playing with fire...literally. :read:
Posted By: hbiss Re: new construction - where place demarc - 11/02/08 12:08 PM
You may think that because a house belongs to you you can do anything you want to it. That's not he case and thats the reason for codes. If your safety or that of your family doesn't appeal to you, consider that at some point that property will no longer be yours and will be occupied by someone else.

Case in point, an acquaintance of mine sold his house that he had done extensive renovations on. Now almost two years after the sale he is being sued for not disclosing material defects. What happened is the new owner in doing his own renovations opened walls and discovered substandard work. Even though my acquaintance hired reputable contractors he is responsible for things that he had no knowledge of nor would anybody have even known about had the walls not been opened. So now he is on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars.

Even more to the point there is serious talk of adding laws to the books that will hold previous owners legally responsible and criminally negligent for property damage, injuries and loss of life because work they did or were responsible for having done was the reason.

One last thing, there are electricians actually in jail today because their negligent work caused injury and death.

Something to think about on your way over to Home Depot or Lowes...

-Hal
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help