atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Noisycow Feed Cable trouble - card dying overnight - 11/05/08 09:55 AM
We have a Samsung system - OS 500 - when the customer installed their own sky-high, long, substandard 25-pair cable between buildings years ago and now it is failing.

Testing for direct shorts reveals nothing. Maybe a squirrel had a snack. Is there a way to put Mike Sandman or other fuses on the pairs to see which ones are failing?

Of course, replacing the inside-grade, non-protected cable is the answer, but if the problems with the remote stations (all lights light up, phone inoperable) continues, it wouldn't look so great. I've noticed in PDX over the years it is very rare to see lightning protection in place also.
Indoor cable used outside then most likely there is moisture is inside the cable and the insulation has broke down with the UV rays. You need to test the conductors for high resistance shorts and voltage breakdown or don't waste the time and replace the cable.
Test it for opens and high resistant shorts, grounds and crosses, just takes a simple volt ohm meter and for this. I prefer one with a needle over digital. I can't think of anything you can put on pairs that monitors them.

One thing about it, if the cable is going bad and you find some good pair to use, once you apply battery to those pairs they too will eventually go bad. Sooner or later the cable will need replaced.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Feed Cable trouble - card dying overnight - 11/05/08 10:53 AM
I prefer one with a needle over digital.

I like the old kick meter for this. There is a reason for that 45 volt battery.

-Hal
Me too Hal, just don't have one.
Thanks for the tips guys.
and if you do find faults you will need a wheatstone bridge to locate them( old cable dekskman talking).
A cat5/6 tester (Pentascanner/Fluke/etc) will give you distances to shorts/opens etc.

Sam
Sam Just a little ha ha
I shot a lot of trouble with a Wheatstone and 76C. Was much easier when the new fault locators came out. Can't beat a butt set and V/ohm meter for quick trouble shooting. Fault locating is another story. I still just use a ohm meter for solid faults.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help