atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: hbiss So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/07/08 08:43 PM
This was posted over at a sparkie board. I know Ed saw it but I think it might be of interest to the rest of you.

New Study Finds Imported Networking Cable Poses Potential Fire Hazard

-Hal
Saw it? I was a victim of that about three years ago. The supplier made good on replacing the cable and offsetting labor costs through future discounts, but I tend to think that I was lucky.
Posted By: hbiss Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/07/08 09:26 PM
I think you were lucky too. I don't think most "no-name" cable sellers will do much more than replace what they sold you with more crap.

Now I know what happens to that scrap wire I have been selling to the scrap yard that goes to China.

-Hal
Goodness, that is scary.

I know there are cracks in every system, but how does something like that get by?
Posted By: Kyawa Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/08/08 05:56 AM
It would have been nice if they listed the manufacturers. I only use name brand stuff. The cost difference isn't worth it.
all nine samples were sold under brand names that would largely be considered “unknown” to U.S. customers..

Sounds like the well established brands are the ones to go with.
"but how does something like that get by?"

It's the race to the bottom. How little can you charge for something? Even if a product is made by convict slave labor children, it's still got to cost something to make, package and ship 7,000 miles.

If you ignore all safety and environmental standards too, then you can really bring the price down.

And if you eliminate all governmental regulations, or even if you don't eliminate them, if you emasculate them by removing anybody who might ever be able to test or check them or see if the product being brought into this country meets current standards - well then, that's how it happens.

We need to bring back manufacturing jobs to this country. We need to put Americans back to work, making quality products. We need to remove tax subsidies to companies that offshore jobs. But most of all we have to stop complaining about cheap foreign imports while we run to stock up on them at Wal-mart and we need to make "Buy American" something that people believe in again and actually follow.

And if we do all these things we'll start to see our economy and our country return to the place in the world where they should be.

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/08/08 08:09 AM
But most of all we have to stop complaining about cheap foreign imports while we run to stock up on them at Wal-mart and we need to make "Buy American" something that people believe in again and actually follow.

I agree with you 1000% BUT when was the last time you even saw something that was made in this country? You buy from American manufacturers but when you look at the label EVERYTHING is made in friggin China. That's the crap that has to stop!

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/08/08 08:34 AM
Thank you, Sam.....a man after my heart. :thumb:
If our Govt.would tax American companys going off shore higher; and then lower taxes for companys manf. here and also employing Americans we would all be be.tter off
Posted By: Kyawa Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/08/08 06:33 PM
Our company is one of the last of the custom cable assemblers here in America. I have watched my customer, Alctel Lucent, farm tons of work to Mexican and Irish companies just to fail. Luckily, we're still around for them to crawl back to. Times got real tough for us in the spring and early summer.
I just bought a Chevy Malibu. 80% US & Canadian parts. Final Assembly point: Lake Orion, Mi USA, Country of Origin for engine & transmission: USA

It was a major point in my buying it. That and it's a real sweet ride.

Sam
So can cable names be posted here or not?
Posted By: hbiss Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/08/08 07:42 PM
Do we know what the offenders are? I think if we just stick with name brands we should be OK.

-Hal
in my experience, the worst offenders for using crappy made in china cat5 cable are the I.T. guys.

Save a few cents on using rip-off cable & jacks, I don't get it, if you have to go back once to replace something, you have blown it.
More likely the "Trunkers".....no need to go back, they've already skipped town... laugh
Posted By: hbiss Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/09/08 05:28 PM
in my experience, the worst offenders for using crappy made in china cat5 cable are the I.T. guys.

That's because the only place they know to buy from is those companies that advertise in the back of computer magazines or send flyers in the mail.

-Hal
The last time I went to the electronics store that I frequent, I checked out the Leviton CAT 3 jacks (part 40836-W and 41106-RA6). The packages were stamped "Made in China".
I don't think "made in china " is necessarily bad from a quality perspective

It all depends on what specs and QA the importer requires and is willing to pay for

some of us remember when "made in Japan " meant Crapola now look what Japan produces
same with China , they are capable of producing a quality product if the importer is willing to pay for it, monitor production and put decent QA in place
Posted By: hbiss Re: So, you got a good deal on that cable huh. - 11/10/08 07:19 AM
Like nearly everything Leviton is made in China. That's what I was saying about buying from an American company. They only collect the money here.

I agree with you Skip and maybe in 30 years China will be a country that produces top quality goods. Maybe. Look at the differences in governments. Japan was never a third world communist country with the corruption China has and that directly impacts even the best efforts of American companies to produce quality goods over there.

Who had the problems with those Acco white boards?

-Hal
That would be me. frown

I suspect they are made in China despite the lack of markings on the shipping boxes.
Unfortunately, when one manufacturer lowers his cost of doing business, all his competitors have to, if they want to remain competitors! I guess you could say that's the down side to capitalism and (TRUE) free-trade. John C.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help