atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jeffmoss26 jackrapid - 11/12/08 08:14 PM
Just wondering who has a jackrapid and if they like it...saw them on clearance at HD today and they were quite a steal...52 bucks! I really want to get one at that price...
Posted By: KLD Re: jackrapid - 11/12/08 08:48 PM
Go for it....I own multiple units plus those for other than Leviton....
Posted By: skip555 Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 04:56 AM
I have used them for a few years now , anything that saves you time makes you money .
Posted By: dexman Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 05:08 AM
I have one. No complaints. :thumb:
Posted By: crisco3 Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 06:34 AM
What jacks do those work on? Can't say i have ever seen one before.
Posted By: RRino Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 06:45 AM
They save a lot of time especially on larger jobs. You will not regret the purchase.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 07:19 AM
They make them for Leviton, Systimax, and Ortronics.
Posted By: hbiss Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 07:35 AM
Only problem is when you buy it from HD the handles will probably fall off in about a week. Why do you think they can sell it so cheap? De-speced.

-Hal
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 09:16 AM
We have the ones from Leviton---love them. I think we have three of them. We always buy blank patch panels so we can save time installing the inserts with a JR. Saves time on both ends, then. Also, very accurate on the connections. We literally have no mis-punchdowns anymore.
Posted By: dexman Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 10:21 AM
I have Leviton & Systimax blades.
Posted By: JordonJ Re: jackrapid - 11/13/08 01:54 PM
I liked mine, but it's not as much use since we went to ICC...
Posted By: Kevin-MI Re: jackrapid - 11/14/08 01:36 PM
I have 2 of them. I love the one for the Systimax cat6 jacks. Haven't had a chance to try my Leviton cat5e tool yet. Look on ebay, I found one for Leviton for $30 brand new.
Posted By: Derrick Re: jackrapid - 11/15/08 06:37 AM
I have two of them. I think they are great. I switched to Leviton jacks from AT because of the tool.
Posted By: Spuds Re: jackrapid - 11/15/08 01:24 PM
Worth every penny. I have several of them.

Mike
Posted By: dwflood Re: jackrapid - 11/15/08 04:07 PM
Have a few for Leviton inserts. I was a little sceptical because it seems cheaply made for the money, but easily paid for itself on the first job.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 06:41 AM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Only problem is when you buy it from HD the handles will probably fall off in about a week. Why do you think they can sell it so cheap? De-speced.

-Hal
That would explain why mine sticks on the return stroke after ~500 uses. Is there any lube that is made for the 'rack' mechanism?
Posted By: skip555 Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Fletcher:
[b] Only problem is when you buy it from HD the handles will probably fall off in about a week. Why do you think they can sell it so cheap? De-speced.

-Hal
That would explain why mine sticks on the return stroke after ~500 uses. Is there any lube that is made for the 'rack' mechanism? [/b]
heres a thread on Jackrapid repair the problem has been around awhile

(BTW I doubt there is any difference in the Jackrapid Home depot sells vs one from a supply house )
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 11:23 AM
I went back there yesterday and the price was the same...still debating whether to buy it...I don't need it, but it sure would be nice to have.
Posted By: hbiss Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 12:49 PM
You need it Jeff. Once you use it you will wonder how you did without it.

BTW I doubt there is any difference in the Jackrapid Home depot sells vs one from a supply house.

It would be tough to tell except by how it holds up.

I was at my friends locksmith shop the other day. Customer comes in with a Schlage lockset and wants it rekeyed. My friend comes into the work area with it where I'm having my coffee and removes the cylinder from the knob. He then goes to remove the top from the cylinder that holds the pins and springs in place and the whole thing flies apart. Normally it is staked or crimped on and you have to pry it off. This one came apart by itself and no way could you put it back on. He asks the customer if he bought it at HD. Yup!

He's seen it before, these are not meant to be rekeyed or at least not made so that they could be. They look EXACTLY like the Schlage locksets he has on the shelf even down to the SKU number.

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 02:50 PM
Jeff, just go for it....they will pay for themselves in no time. They are the cheapest "hired hands" I have, don't eat much, and are allows there, not on break.

These are no different than any other tool, I've had two break, different manufacturers. Both were replaced by the wholesale house...try getting that service with HD.

cool
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 03:11 PM
Hal, on the topic of locks...I have rekeyed mostly Kwikset locks at the hardware store. Once you take one apart, then look at an import clone, the differences are pretty great. The tolerances on the cheaper locks are just bad. Give me a nice Best I-core any day. Locksmithing is a side hobby of mine...I have a bunch of old locks I mess around with at home.
Posted By: skip555 Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 03:37 PM
BTW I doubt there is any difference in the Jackrapid Home depot sells vs one from a supply house.

It would be tough to tell except by how it holds up.
to "de spec " there would need to be volume involved

I don't see HD buying the volume of Telcom tools to make "de specking" worthwhile

the hd stores around here have the jackrapids and they have a coat of dust on them

been on the shelf a long time

thats why the're closing them out

locksets I can see the volume
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 04:00 PM
I've gotten good deals on a lot of Harris/Fluke tools over the years at HD cause they don't sell a lot and put them on clearance. Same with Klein Tools at Sears...they change packages and put the old ones on sale.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info and link, Skip.
Posted By: hbiss Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 04:21 PM
Yeah, I haven't gotten into locksmithing but I have picked up a few things from these guys over the years. It seems to be a good business, several of my friend's brothers also have their own shops and his cousin is his partner here. These guys also sell and install architectural hardware as well as safes and vaults. Gotta see them drilling those things when the customer can't get into them because the lock craps out. Each safe has it's own "secret" spot.

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 04:25 PM
Yeah, I haven't gotten into locksmithing but I have picked up a few things from these guys over the years.
-Hal
Hal, was there a pun intended? laugh
Posted By: hbiss Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 04:49 PM
Well, actually I've never had to pay for keys or locksets- as long as I help them out with those "very complicated" access systems and intercoms.

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: jackrapid - 11/23/08 07:17 PM
I need to find an arrangement like that laugh
We have a couple big security companies that do everything from cutting keys, to burglar alarms, access control, cameras, etc.
Posted By: Noisycow Re: jackrapid - 11/24/08 02:00 AM
The ICC Cat3 and Cat 6 EZ jacks have always worked well for us. Seems be to fast and easy. Lay in the wire and crimp down with Robogrip. Done.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: jackrapid - 12/06/08 03:27 PM
So I went back to HD today...bought the JackRapid...so far so good!
Posted By: Redryder2448 Re: jackrapid - 02/02/09 05:46 PM
We have a few of them for Systimax cat5e and cat 6 , they work great but seems like they need to improve on the squeeze handle gimmick. My hands don't work like they used to anymore.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: jackrapid - 02/02/09 06:26 PM
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
So I went back to HD today...bought the JackRapid...so far so good!
Cool that your HD still has them: ours quit stocking them a while ago.

I finally lubed mined last week per the linked thread above. Works better than new (after I put the four screws in the bottom back in their proper places, lol).

Jeff, you'll love yours. The only problem I've had with mine, other than the action becoming stiff and notchy, is that once in a while I'll get a keystone that seems a bit bowed/splayed on the end (blue pair) and the cutter head will bite into the plastic post(s) instead of cutting off the excess wire. The plastic tips outboard of the cutters will probably break if you do this a few times, but mine still works anyway.
Posted By: hawk82 Re: jackrapid - 02/08/09 05:29 PM
I saw these at HD on clearance a couple months ago and should have picked up one. I was at HD yesterday and didn't see any. In fact this particular HD seemed to be getting out of selling testsets and other telco tools, focusing on just keystones, faceplaces, RJ connectors, etc.
Posted By: hbiss Re: jackrapid - 02/08/09 05:59 PM
In fact this particular HD seemed to be getting out of selling testsets and other telco tools

That's certainly good news! Hopefully all will follow suit.

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: jackrapid - 02/08/09 06:05 PM
Ive noticed Lowes has cut way back on data com tools and supplies

(but they do have a section in the sears tool catalog for them now)
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help