atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: sph Siemon Z-Max - 02/26/09 03:32 PM
I've been receiving emails from Siemon about this, a new TP connectorizing scheme.

Here's a link:

Siemon Z-Max

Haven't used it, don't know how effective or costly it is. But I'm intrigued by anything that supposedly installs faster, with fewer mistakes and is easier to certify.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Siemon Z-Max - 02/27/09 05:39 AM
I haven't used it. Having said that, it looks pretty good. I have used Siemon's other products over the years and have always found them to be of the highest quality.

Sam
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Siemon Z-Max - 02/27/09 08:09 AM
But isn't this just yet another reinvention of the wheel? I wouldn't mind it if manufacturers would make their products cross-compatible, but most new designs aren't.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: Siemon Z-Max - 02/27/09 02:10 PM
I would imagine that a customer willing to spend the money on Cat 6 augmented isn't going to balk at the $20 or so each these jacks will probably cost.

"The system is also capable of meeting category 6A and class EA performance requirements for links and channels less than 15 meters in length".

:confused:

I thought 6a was supposed to support 10 Gig/500MHz over 100m.

Jack
Posted By: hbiss Re: Siemon Z-Max - 02/27/09 02:56 PM
UTP for data has always been a PITA and is only becoming more so. Only mindless geeks and sparkies have the patience to deal with hundreds of terminatons. Replace it with fiber and be done with it already!

-Hal
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Siemon Z-Max - 02/27/09 03:54 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Only mindless geeks and sparkies have the patience to deal with hundreds of terminatons.
??? It's a good chunk of our business. eek
Posted By: hbiss Re: Siemon Z-Max - 02/27/09 05:29 PM
You obviously have more patience than I or you hire people that do.

Voice terminations I have no problem with. UTP data terminations are much more intensive and require greater dexterity and concentration. Not everybody has those qualifications nor will it be easy to find people who will be happy with a career terminating hundreds or thousands of jacks and cables on patch panels.

Not my words but the words of a sparkie over on one of the sparkie boards- "A trained monkey can do it". And that's pretty much what you have to hire.

I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist but I'm willing to bet that the humans who would do well with that kind of work would be those who have the same mental capacity as assembly line workers with little capacity for technical knowledge meaning they can't be used for anything else. Around here that means illegals.

So what I'm trying to say is that the whole business of UTP data cabling has gotten way out of hand. UTP was introduced as an "easier" alternative to coax or thinnet. It was easier to install and terminate than BNC connectors. The topology, being star is also easier to troubleshoot.

Now that UTP is being pushed to the limit, installation and termination is very critical if it is to certify. The next generation of UTP (or STP) cables are going to be even more intensive. Fiber terminations in comparison are a walk in the park and the fiber itself is almost future proof.

I think the only reason UTP continues to evolve is for cable manufacturers and cabling contractors job security.

-Hal
Posted By: sph Re: Siemon Z-Max - 03/01/09 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Fletcher:
"The system is also capable of meeting category 6A and class EA performance requirements for links and channels less than 15 meters in length".

:confused:

I thought 6a was supposed to support 10 Gig/500MHz over 100m.

Jack
To avoid signal feedback/FEXT from terminations being close. Presumably this started being discussed once cables had to certify @ 250Mhz and up. Far as I know, there's a recommendation (not an obligation) from EIA and ISO to that effect. Had a long discussion with a guy from Fluke some time ago, apparently they were considering offering the option to test for this in some of their models.
Seems like the engineers decided at the time that if the installation was done properly, with all channel elements conforming to the standard, there was no pressing issue. Don't know if they changed their mind now that Ghz-certifiable twisted pairs (cat7) are on the horizon.
On cat6 installs, I always try for a minimum of 45-50ft between terminations when possible, just playing it safe. Ofcourse that's not always feasible.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: Siemon Z-Max - 03/02/09 09:39 AM
Ooh, I misread the part I quoted. I was thinking it was only compliant to 15 meters, not with lengths under 15 meters. Thanks for the clarification, sph.

Back to your original question, the Z-max jacks do look easier to terminate than other keystone types I've seen. The plugs look easier as well.

Jack
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help