atcomsystems.ca/forum
I figured people here would find this topic interesting and maybe want to chime in on this question posted at /..

"We have a T1 line coming into our satellite office and we rely fairly heavily on it to transfer large amounts of data over a VPN to the head office across the country. Recently, we decided to upgrade to a 20 Mbit line. Being the lone IT guy here, it fell on me to run cable from the ISP's box to our server room so I went out and bought a spool of Cat6. I mentioned the purchase and the plan to run the cable myself to my boss in head office and in an emailed response he stated that it's next to impossible to create quality cable (ie: cable that will pass a Time Domain Reflectometer test) by hand without expensive dies, special Ethernet jacks and special cable. He even went so far as to say that handmade cable couldn't compare to even the cheapest Belkin cables. I've never once ran into a problem with handmade patch cables. Do you create your own cable or do you bite the bullet and buy it from some place?"
again : article here at /.
I'd feel safer in purchasing a factory assembly due to his circumstances. The problem is that many of the cheap import assemblies can't be trusted. In this case, I'd buy a custom cable assembly from a reputable producer located in the US. Most supply houses have these resources, not to mention our friend and member Ken (KYAWA) runs a mil-spec cable assembly operation in Western Maryland. I'm sure that he'd appreciate the referral.

Here\'s Ken\'s Web Site
If you are talking about patch cables ALWAYS purchase them. First, they are stranded which makes them hold up to flexing at the plugs better. Then the plugs themselves are better with moulded boots. Then of course they are pre-tested.

That said, it sounds like this guy is running some cables not making patch cords. I don't know what his idiot boss is talking about, patch panel to patch panel should work fine for ethernet. Then again I'm confused as to whether he is extending the output of the T1 remote unit or smart jack.

There may be more to this than the OP understands. Problem is these IT types can't punch their way out of a wet paper bag.

-Hal
Yeah, I didn't dig deep enough into replies by the OP to find out if it is a smart-jack extension or a RU. Either way, it was amusing reading the question and the first 30 or so responses... because they were all over the spectrum! It does come down to the inexperienced IT manager, that has no real world experience or any cable knowledge - past what Google and Wikipedia tell them.

I just wanted to point out the "same old - same old"
smile
Well in the ideal situation, I would run a cable and terminate it with surface mount jacks at both ends, and use factory made patch cables for the connections.
I think Jeff that was the subject of another thread. I have, in very small installations that won't be changed, pressed plugs onto the four or less drops and plugged them directly into the router. I have no doubt that they would pass certification so Mr IT manager is all wet with special dies etc. What he is really saying is that HE has never been able to press a plug on a cable properly.

-Hal
Well yeah, those are the IT guys wink
Commercially made good, quality patchcords is what I buy, with the exception of guestrooms (complimentary cords), because they are always getting damaged, lost, or stolen. I've made a few in the field, but try not to if I can help it. I haven't tried to make any cat6 cords yet... they look like so much fun! :rolleyes:

On a similar note, if the cable company doesn't supply them, I do make the coax patch cables for guest room TVs.

Thanks for the link, Ed. I'll keep it in mind.

Jack
Without having gone through the thread @ alashdot, what's a "20 Mbit line"? I'm not familiar with any DS variant that provides "20 Mbits".
Time Domain Reflectometer test

What the Heck is that? Is it new terminology for old stuff or did I miss a class somewhere? :shrug:
A 20 Mbit line could be anything since the poster doesnt specify what kind of circuit it is and only that they had a T1. There are lots of options that offer 20 mbit and more including Cable and Fiber.

Are you being funny Grider or do you really not know what that is?
I've heard of numerous tests for Cat5 & Cat6 cable but a Time Reflectometer Test really is new to me as far as testing cable for the described use.
TDR...here is a link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-domain_reflectometer
We use TDRs in the cable industry as well as telephone- to look for defects in wiring or fiber (ODTR). A TDR will show splices, kinks and even tight staples in a pair or a run of coax. It will not certify or provide the tests normally used for category data cable.

-Hal
2 Things -

20MBS - My Fios connection is 20MBS. Legitimately. Very sweet.

----------------------

OTDRs (Optical) are commonly used in fiber work - especially in OSP on long runs. When I ran a crew in the WAN we had to deliver OTDR traces with every run we turned over.

(C)TDRs - (Copper) TDRs aren't used as much these days as the functionality has been replaced by Network Analyzers (CatX certification). Like Hal said though, they're still used for long coax and CAT 3 cable runs - but to be honest, the only times I've used them in the last 5 years have been either A) when the customer requested them or B) when we had a problem with a run.

Sam
I got a TDR some years ago to find a fault in an underground cable. Now it lives in my toolbox and comes out maybe once a year to save my butt. When you need a TDR you need a TDR.

I used to teach cabling for a communications school and after having the students make Patch Cords over and over until they got them right. I would tell them never do this again, buy them!
Ive done ends on TP and RG58 and 59. It all comes down to the quality of the ends, the crimper and the person using them. That said, Patches are bought, more because it is something the customer keeps and it is easier to charge them for it. The only short plug ended cables I make myself anymore are the 6" ones I make and loose for continuity testing jacks.

Everyone should know how to crimp them right, and then carry enough spare patches so they don't have to waste time doing it. Knowing how to crimp and carrying 8c plugs has saved my bacon on one or two occasions when removing a wire from a nest has popped the locking tab off a silver satin serial interface cable. Pin Pads anyone?

First rule, don't break anything.
Second rule, if you do break something...fix it.
Third rule, if you can't fix it, report it...support will blame you anyway, be part of the solution.
25' or less and I use premade cables any thing else I install solid cable and jacks on the ends then use patch cable to connect.
There semms to be a little misinformation here. A TDR is not only a tool but a function. Most cable certifiers use TDR to determine wire length and to ty to locate faults. If you've ever certified a cable and it says "open at 35" for example, that is the certifier using TDR to locate the fault. There were some scopes that were called TDRs but mostly its just a function built into the cable tester. Its not old technology or uncommon nowadays. Its actually quite common and used by scopes by Fluke, Agilent, and Ideal to name a few. You don't really hear these scopes called TDRs because thats a function or method used by the scope to test cables. If any of you have a high quality wirescope then you have a TDR.

Silversam, Ive heard many people rave about FIOS. Whats been your experience with it?
I have to agree with tito1411, both my Fluke and Ideal testers include TDR functions. Actually I haven't seen a stand-alone TDR in years.

Also, call me a stickler, but imo there's a misunderstanding with the terminology somewhere. The poster mentions "upgrading" from a "T1 line" to a "20 mbit line". It would be incorrect, imo, for this to apply to FIOS. First, that would not be an upgrade within the same connection setup but a change in the connection setup. Second, from the subscriber perspective, FIOS connections are basically taps on loops, not point-to-point connections on lines (assuming this is "traditional" T1). So where does a "20 Mbit line" come into this? Third, as far as I know, the residential and business flavors of FIOS use basically the same hardware, the differences being in provisioning and the software running in Verizon's equipment. So the "upgrade" in FIOS's case happens at the node/carrier stage, not the subscriber premises. One exception being that business (static IP) FIOS uses different boxes for video & data unlike the residential type.
Anyway, that's why I was a bit confused trying to think which DS/HS variant the poster was refering to.
There seems to be a little misinformation here.
A TDR can be a stand alone tool or part of a multi-function tester.
Here's an example of a stand alone TDR.
https://www.valuetesters.com/Cable-Fault-Locator.php
A few more things.

Yes, most cable certifiers have TDR functionality built in to them, but they're not true TDRs in the sense that this is a secondary function for them. Their primary purpose is to certify Cat X cable. If you're not working with Cat5E/6/6A you're really not going to be able to use your Network Certifier as a TDR.

As far as FIOS goes, It is a brand new termination. A T-1 comes in on two pair of (individually shielded) copper. A DSL comes in on one pair of copper. FIOS comes in on a brand new run of Fiber. As far as the quality, at least for me it's been excellent. Real good telephone service with lots of features (Caller ID, Voice Mail etc.) . Excellent very fast Internet access (20mbs) and Very clear, very sharp TV with lots of channels. Customer service has been very, very, good.

Sam
Sam, I don't doubt the merits of FIOS, I'm all for it if it can be had in your area. I just thought that the poster @ slashdot should be a bit clearer and more precise seeing that he has technical responsibilities and he's asking for help/advice.
Not to belabor the issue, but in my view an upgrade from a DS1 would be a DS3. Putting in FIOS I would call a switch in service type, not an upgrade. But maybe I'm too anal about it.
SPH -

I agree with you. To me FIOS is a residential product. Perhaps Verizon is now instituting a "Business FIOS" but...

A T-1 is a business product. As is a T-3. And OC-Anything. You could get them in your home, but that doesn't make them residential services.

Carriers have (usually) had a better/faster response to business services then they did to residential products. I have no problem with that and think it's appropriate.

Sam
Originally posted by sph:
Also, call me a stickler, but imo there's a misunderstanding with the terminology somewhere. The poster mentions "upgrading" from a "T1 line" to a "20 mbit line". It would be incorrect, imo, for this to apply to FIOS. First, that would not be an upgrade within the same connection setup but a change in the connection setup. Second, from the subscriber perspective, FIOS connections are basically taps on loops, not point-to-point connections on lines (assuming this is "traditional" T1). So where does a "20 Mbit line" come into this?
The OP is a CG, thus the use of the word "upgrade". To a CG, improving the level of something is upgrading it. A loose analogy would be a Drive upgrade, from PATA to SATA and having a larger Drive. It would be an upgrade even though you have to change the drive connection service to increase the drive capacity. I try not to use the word 'upgrade' at all, and prefer simpler terms that people can understand like 'increase' or "replace with a larger/better".

It certainly doesn't help that the main stream public has started using "upgrade". I've heard such moronic things as "upgrade your ____ (car/house/property/phone/etc)" to mean replace and improve.

The other thing is the choice of the word "line", instead of path or circuit when talking about capacity. It all comes back to the OP being a CG and probably meaning a data line, irrespective of hardware. Where a telecom person hears the word line and thinks 'copper'. The OP is probably the worst form of CG, a Manager CG. A creature which has little if any understanding of the technology they manage.

As a Manager CG you could probably convince the OP that they upgrade the waterline on the boat to go faster. :rofl:

idd
Originally posted by igadget:
The OP is a CG, thus the use of the word "upgrade". To a CG, improving the level of something is upgrading it. A loose analogy would be a Drive upgrade, from PATA to SATA and having a larger Drive. It would be an upgrade even though you have to change the drive connection service to increase the drive capacity. I try not to use the word 'upgrade' at all, and prefer simpler terms that people can understand like 'increase' or "replace with a larger/better".

It certainly doesn't help that the main stream public has started using "upgrade". I've heard such moronic things as "upgrade your ____ (car/house/property/phone/etc)" to mean replace and improve.
Perhaps, but I have been known on occasion to refer to "upgrading" my female companionship because, as a gentleman, I would rather not put too fine a point on what specifically I was trying to replace or increase. laugh
Personally we make all of our patch cables at work. Sometimes I wish we didn't. We buy good stranded cable, and use panduit antihooking ends. Once you make a few I never screw up anymore. The major benefit I see it has is the ability tom make custom lengths. However, with all the neat cable managers it dosn't really matter. When you factor in cost of it dosn't really matter either. IMO
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help