atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: vicbob RJ-15 - 10/15/09 01:55 PM
Has anyone used a RJ-15 Jack ?

Thanks
Vicbob
Posted By: ttech Re: RJ-15 - 10/15/09 02:04 PM
I don't live near any marinas, so I haven't run into any.

Are you planning in installing one for a boat?
Posted By: skip555 Re: RJ-15 - 10/15/09 03:41 PM
there not just used in marinas I have installed quite a few in outdoor patio / pool locations

what is your question ?
Posted By: Silversam Re: RJ-15 - 10/15/09 05:56 PM
The last time I installed jacks in a Marina was at the Montauk Yacht Club and Inn on Star Island (Next exit on the Long Island Expressway was Portugal). The year was 1979 and the jacks were bronze and threaded.

However... my copy of GTE's Network Interface Manual for Registered Terminal Equipment states:

RJ15C- A three position weatherproof jack.

Typical Usage: Single line ancillary device service to boats in marinas, with dockside wiring where no "on-board" wiring is used.

The drawing shows a 3 position weatherproof jack with Tip on position 3 and Ring on Position 1. (Mating with a 3 position weatherproof plug.)

Sam
Posted By: vicbob Re: RJ-15 - 10/16/09 05:28 AM
Thank you, I have a new customer, And they have a new site and they asked for RJ-45 and RJ-15 jacks. I have never used them. I think some one got this wrong because it is for a office set up ?

Thank you !
Vicbob
Posted By: DrPbx Re: RJ-15 - 10/16/09 07:08 AM
It is probably a typo & they are asking for RJ-11 or RJ-14.
Posted By: skip555 Re: RJ-15 - 10/16/09 07:11 AM
Naw , its like the CG's and Cat 6 , if RJ14 is good then RJ15 must be better wink
Posted By: EV607797 Re: RJ-15 - 10/16/09 08:22 AM
Won't they be surprised if you really do give them RJ45 and RJ15 jacks?
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: RJ-15 - 10/16/09 10:12 AM
Go the CG's one better and ask if they meant RJ25's. smile
Posted By: skip555 Re: RJ-15 - 10/16/09 01:12 PM
reminds me of a customer once who wanted serial connections in a half a dozen locations

I said don't you really want CAT 5 drops ?

nope ,it was specked out as serial so that's what he wanted , we did it at some major $$$$

IT guys show up to install the equipment and call and giving us a hard time saying "we should have known better "

so I emailed him the spec and my correspondence questioning it along with the Mangers insistence on Serial as per the spec

so we got paid to take it out and do the CAT 5 drops

(I still have all the serial hardware for that around somewhere )
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: RJ-15 - 10/16/09 06:38 PM
Thank you, I have a new customer, And they have a new site and they asked for RJ-45 and RJ-15 jacks. I have never used them. I think some one got this wrong because it is for a office set up ?
You must weigh being right and being helpful. "They" asked for them. Who is "they?" The customer themselves, or a computer person (or someone else) hired by them to get the job done?

If you ask them if they really mean RJ45 and RJ15, and they say "yes" without asking you why, I feel that it is your obligation (and also good business) to tell them that what they are asking for is not applicable to an office environment with computers and phones.

If it is a simple matter of a non-telephone civilian asking for the wrong thing, and you can easily explain the error, you will have gained some good-will and credibility.

If the on-site "expert" cops an attitude, and says, essentially "just do what we say" then go on ahead and install the RJ45's and RJ15's and charge accordingly, but not without getting a signature from the expert authorizing the installation. Then explain, in writing, the following: An RJ45 is an obsolete scheme using a keyed plug/socket arrangement wired for one telephone line on pins 4 & 5 with a programming resistor on two other pins, and was historically used for data phone service. The RJ15 is a heavy-duty weatherproof single-line jack intended to provide service for a boat at a dock.

Hopefully, you can convince them to let you install the right stuff.

In this economic climate, it's hard to be rigid in dealing with the usual morons. You know that if you don't do the install, someone else will, and they'll just install ethernet jacks and voice jacks.
Posted By: gelehu Re: RJ-15 - 12/05/09 08:50 AM
Silversam
This is Gene, your old UCS cohort.Just browsing and saw that you wworked at Montauk Yacht Club. I worked out there for a good while stringing wire under the docks. We had a piece of plywood with 2 styrofoam bales lashed on to float on.Seems like I remember seagull crap eating up the jacks on the pierposts.Also remember standing in 6" of water in the basement switchroom trying to hook up temporary lights. Somebody was watching over me.Hadnt thought about that place in years but I remember thats when JAWS came out and it was mass mania out there
Posted By: Silversam Re: RJ-15 - 12/05/09 09:17 PM
Hey Gene -

Long time!

I remember the "float". I was out there in the dead of winter and refused to use it. They eventually got me a rowboat, but boy did they bitch.

I was there because the pilings got pushed up when the water froze. When they got pushed up far enough they ripped the docks apart and ripped all the phone wire loose.

So they were replacing the pilings and I was replacing the wire. I was told that there are two different ends to a piling - a fat end and a skinny end. You're supposed to set the fat end down because it keeps the piling set better and less likely to get pushed up by the frozen water. They hadn't originally - they'd set the skinny end down (because you didn't have to drill as big a hole.

When they put the new pilings in, they did exactly the same thing again - skinny end down. I was told that they'd last about 5 -10 years and then it would happen again!

Sam
Posted By: gelehu Re: RJ-15 - 12/06/09 09:23 AM
Hey Sam,
We were out there when it was being built so I guess the pilings were new. We used aluminum weather proof jacks, round with a spring loaded cover. I remember floating under the pier when some of those big yachts came through creating wakes. I didnt take me long to realize that unless I wanted to lift the pier floor with my head, I needed to out from underneath before the wake hit. Of course high tde was worst time. We were out mostly in the summer, had a hell of a time finding a place to live.We lived in a room at a marina usually reserved for overnight fisherman charters. Thats where all the big sharks that were caught came in. Capt. Frank Mundas,supposedly the guy Jaws was written around, came in every day with 12-14 ft.whites.
Quite and interesting place. I guess that was mid 70s.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help