atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ampleworks Handy Box cover - 01/27/10 06:28 PM
Anyone know if there's a cover out there for a 1G handy box that accepts a snap-in jack. Trying to do a surface mount EMT job and the normal plastic faceplates look tacky hanging over.

I couldn't find any in the Hubbell or Raco catalogs.
Posted By: KLD Re: Handy Box cover - 01/27/10 07:15 PM
Contact Leviton....they may have a custom application for you.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/27/10 07:20 PM
You could use a 106 style insert and a regular metal faceplate cover for a handy box.
https://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10753&minisite=10028
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Handy Box cover - 01/27/10 07:40 PM
insert

faceplate

Use a Decora insert with however many ports you need (1 through 6) and the metal faceplate that is designed to fit the handy box.

The faceplate pictured is available at most electrical supply houses, Home Despot, and Ace hardware. I tried to include a link, but the Forum software won't allow the link to work. Sorry.
Posted By: Charles U Sparkie Re: Handy Box cover - 01/27/10 07:45 PM
If you need more than about two drops per handy box I think you should go to 4x4 boxes and this type of cover https://productcatalog.tnb.com/fi/3/326808849.jpg
With the 4 port 106 frames to have enough room to coil the service loop in the box. I've put up to 6 drops in a handy box but had to go back after to fix it. A faceplate screw shorted a pair since there wasn't enough room to coil the slack out of harms way.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Handy Box cover - 01/27/10 09:44 PM
Arthur, I've never seen a Decora handy box cover. Are you sure that's what that is?

Sparkie- for a 1900 box use an austin cover with a single Decora cutout. Use it with Arthur's insert which can be had with up to 4 ports.

-Hal
Posted By: Charles U Sparkie Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 01:30 AM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Arthur, I've never seen a Decora handy box cover. Are you sure that's what that is?
-Hal
They're out there, I've used decora handy covers, mostly for GFI recs. One gym wanted an industrial look and we used decora handy covers on the flush network and tel mudrings to match the galvanized look of the rest of the wall cladding.

Originally posted by hbiss:
Sparkie- for a 1900 box use an austin cover with a single Decora cutout. Use it with Arthur's insert which can be had with up to 4 ports.
Not familiar with Austin covers, I'm north of the 49th so terminology changes a bit.
handy = 1110 aka eleven-ten and 1900 = 4x4. One to four port decora frames are stock items for us, pretty much replaced regular keystone plates to reduce inventory and keep our data products similar looking to the most common electrical devices.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 07:49 AM
I never knew they made a GFCI cover for a handy box. Learn something every day.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 08:19 AM
I've used decora handy covers, mostly for GFI recs.

Wow. Must have been a 15A circuit with 14ga wire because I can't see how you got a GFI into even a deep handy box. 12ga would make it impossible. Anything like that I would have used a 1900.

-Hal
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 11:01 AM
Assuming I can find the duplex inserts, that looks like it will be perfect.

I also agree, anything more than 2 ports, go with a 4-square box. While 4 or 6 are doable, it gets pretty tedious. I've had good luck with a 4-square box with a 1G reducing mudring on it...enough room for a (small) service loop.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 01:33 PM
That is what I would normally do...just use a standard faceplate. I know it hangs over the edge...
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 01:58 PM
Its a handybox mounted directly on the floor so a plastic faceplate is bound to get killed eventually.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 02:21 PM
Yeah, I've seen it happen to boxes mounted on walls too. People like to break things.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 03:52 PM
Assuming I can find the duplex inserts...

Standard Leviton (and other manufacturers) item. And they can be had with 6 ports, not limited to 4 as I said above.

I've had good luck with a 4-square box with a 1G reducing mudring on it...

You might not know but they do make covers for a 4-square (otherwise known as a 1900) box for surface mounting. They are called austin covers. Use that instead of a mud ring and wall plate. Then too 1900 boxes are available in different depths- I like to use a deep box. And there are extension rings that are basically a 1900 box without a back that you can stack to make the box deeper. Also, instead of a 1900 look at a 4-11/16 box.

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 04:06 PM
Hal, do you just mean a raised cover, or something else. Never heard of an austin cover.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 04:21 PM
Yeah, sometimes called a raised cover. I guess you could ask for a single gang Decora 1900 cover for instance too. Different parts of the country use different slang. The supply house guy should know what you are talking about but don't even go there with the Home Depot guy.

-Hal
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 04:40 PM
Most of the Home Depot electrical dept. guys down here on Long Island are laid-off electricians. They are helpful and knowledgeable.

On the other hand, even if you are a licensed electrician, a lot of the counter guys at supply places have an attitude. It comes from the union "I can't be fired for being surly" mentality, and (I suppose) the fact that they have to deal with non-professionals trying to DIY all day.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 04:58 PM
Arthur, my supply house has roughly 6 counter guys.
One of them I won't even talk to. The rest are OK but I have one guy I do most of my business with. He takes good care of me.
I will say that going into a supply house that I don't normally buy from can be an interesting experience.
Anyway, back on topic smile
Posted By: hbiss Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 05:28 PM
It comes from the union "I can't be fired for being surly" mentality, and (I suppose) the fact that they have to deal with non-professionals trying to DIY all day.

My supply house has a big sign by the door that says "WHOLESALE TO THE TRADE ONLY". Still they do get a few DIYrs with big b**** who ignore it but it's usually worth the entertainment value.

I've been dealing with this place for probably 40 years and knew the owners fathers. Some of the guys that work there I went to HS with.

When I have to go to other supply houses I find that how you are treated depends on whether you know what you are talking about.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 05:54 PM
A raised cover for a 1900 (4") or 5" (4 &11/16") box is called a "Mulberry Cover" here in the City. It comes in a variety of flavors. If you Google it look for Mulberry Raised Cover - It's what you're looking for.

I'm with Hal - deep boxes if needed. I've been on new construction jobs for office space and the architect spec'd nothing smaller then a 4&11/16" box.

Sam
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Handy Box cover - 01/28/10 06:36 PM
I just wish Graybar was closer! Local supply did buy out a datacom company and they stock quite a bit of stuff but usually a 2-3 day wait to get it.

I too hate dealing with the snobs at sparky supply...reminds me of the same idiots you find at a gun shop.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/29/10 05:10 AM
I just wish Graybar was closer! Local supply did buy out a datacom company and they stock quite a bit of stuff but usually a 2-3 day wait to get it.

I too hate dealing with the snobs at sparky supply..
you don't consider Graybar to be a "sparky supply " house ?
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Handy Box cover - 01/30/10 08:09 AM
No because at least I can walk in there and pickup a 66 block without being told "we'll have to get it from our warehouse, come back in 2 days".

smile
Posted By: hbiss Re: Handy Box cover - 01/30/10 08:50 AM
Unfortunately my sparkie supply house has a pretty good stock of data/telecom supplies. I don't usually buy that there unless I'm in a pinch. It usually goes something like this- "I need a couple of 25 pair 66 blocks". Counter guy brings out some 50 pair blocks. "No, that ain't them, come on back and I'll show you."

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/30/10 10:08 PM
My local electrical supply house is pretty weak in the teledata area. They stock cat 5e and coax cable, phone jacks and faceplates (Leviton) but still only stock the cat 5 jacks which is no good. Generally speaking I go there for boxes, rings, beam clamps, and fittings. For datacom I either go up the street to Rexel or have Graybar ship to my front door.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/31/10 05:25 AM
Originally posted by ampleworks:
No because at least I can walk in there and pickup a 66 block without being told "we'll have to get it from our warehouse, come back in 2 days".

smile
Graybar is stocking that stuff for sparky not us . the bulk of Graybar's stock is electrical and most of the customers are "Sparkys"

you can pick up a 66 block at home depot does that make them a "teledata supply" house ?

when you get beyond 66 blocks , cable and jacks our local Graybar still has to get it from the "zone" warehouse truth is home depot .Lowes and Graybar both stock about the same Teledata stuff , at least around here
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Handy Box cover - 01/31/10 09:55 AM
I cringe even thinking about HD or Lowe's pricing of teledata.

It's sad when Lowe's cheap Chinese cat 5 is more than Belden at sparky supply. frown
Posted By: ugly1 Re: Handy Box cover - 01/31/10 03:11 PM
I was in Graybar recently when a guy came in and asked the counterman for crossover patchcords.The counterman directed the guy to the shelf with the rolls of cross connect wire.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Handy Box cover - 01/31/10 03:28 PM
Poetic justice. CG meets the sparkie supply house.

-Hal
Posted By: MnDave Re: Handy Box cover - 02/01/10 04:33 PM
We must be in the minority in MN. We have a dedicated Graybar Telcom in the western suburbs and Sparkies have to go downtown. Of course my complaint is that their City desk sells to anyone who walks in the door. I take most of my business elsewhere partly because of that.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Handy Box cover - 02/01/10 05:19 PM
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
We must be in the minority in MN. We have a dedicated Graybar Telcom in the western suburbs and Sparkies have to go downtown. Of course my complaint is that their City desk sells to anyone who walks in the door. I take most of my business elsewhere partly because of that.
they had that here for awhile , in the late 80's the telecom counter was around back next to the loading dock

then they moved it to its own building across the street and now its just one counter for all

that was one of the things I liked when Alltel supply had a place here , no sparkys
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Handy Box cover - 02/01/10 06:23 PM
Why does it always seem the one supplier you'd rather do all your business with ends up doing the least amount of datacom?
Posted By: justbill Re: Handy Box cover - 02/01/10 06:36 PM
This thing has really drifted off topic. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Handy Box cover - 02/02/10 11:56 AM
justbill. "ya think" smile
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help