atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: stevewm Avaya mess - 02/02/10 01:38 PM
To start off, yes I am the CG. The small phone systems at our 6 locations where put in my charge. The system posted below was in place before I was hired a few years ago. I've put off cleaning it up for a few years now. frown

Where do you even start? (sorry for the blurry pic, cellphone camera not so good in low light)

[Linked Image from img3.imageshack.us]

I have since installed 5 Avaya systems at our newer locations. At those locations we did use patch panels and CAT5 patch cords. The phone wiring was also done to the same specs as the LAN for eventual move over to VoIP phones.

I know most of this is frowned upon for a phone system but it looks nice and clean, works fine for us, and we have not had a single issue stemming from it.

What we have had issues with is the mess of the system above. All of the 66 blocks are cracked in multiple places and basically falling apart. Phones short out if you blow on the wiring too hard. Finding or moving extensions is basically impossible as none of incoming pairs where marked or labeled in any way.

The location previously had a SW Bell system in place of the Avaya. It had a Amphenol(sp?) connector with all the pairs going to the 66 blocks. The majority of that mess appeared when the phone installer phased the Avaya system in. (which was done during the day, when all the phones where being used!)

What would you do to clean it up? I was going to go the patch panel route, but I don't believe most of the station lines are long enough to properly do a patch panel.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 02:01 PM
At this point it's almost best to start over on the backboard.

If needed, find the shortest station cable and relocate all your cables there.

Since you are comfortable with patch panels and you are the customer then go with what works for you and your company.

Of course this means after hours, otherwise you can see by example what happens when people take shortcuts eek
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 02:08 PM
Just redo it like you are supposed to do a phone system. 66 blocks and a cross connect.

[Linked Image from i16.photobucket.com]

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 03:22 PM
Hal, I almost cried...that is beautiful!
Posted By: MnDave Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 03:54 PM
Hal, for an ACS to look that neat is both reassuring and wonderful! I don't have to tell you how so many of them degenerate into an eyesore.
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 04:20 PM
which was done during the day, when all the phones where being used!

Just because the system was installed during the day, while the phones were in use, doesn't mean in cannot be done and done correctly.

This customer wanted their new system setup with a patch panel so they could do MAC work without calling us.

[Linked Image from getcit.com]

We wired and installed the new system, during the day, while the old system was in service. Once all the wiring was in place, we moved them over to the new system one phone at a time. They were never totally down because we had some of the new phones working before we moved the dial tone to the new system.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 05:25 PM
This customer wanted their new system setup with a patch panel so they could do MAC work without calling us.

But WE WANT them to have to call us for MACs. wink

-Hal
Posted By: stevewm Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 06:22 PM
Originally posted by MarcHaycook:
which was done during the day, when all the phones where being used!

Just because the system was installed during the day, while the phones were in use, doesn't mean in cannot be done and done correctly.
Our installer managed to fry two of the new Avaya phones during the process and the Page port on the Partner processor module during our live switchover. Can only assume they crossed some wires somewhere during the job.
Posted By: rich30529 Re: Avaya mess - 02/02/10 08:05 PM
Originally posted by stevewm:
Our installer managed to fry two of the new Avaya phones during the process and the Page port on the Partner processor module during our live switchover. Can only assume they crossed some wires somewhere during the job.
Who is they? It originally sounded as if you yourself were going to do the project. Did someone else end up doing it? If so, who was it? Was it a reputable company such as an authorized Avaya Business Partner?
Posted By: stevewm Re: Avaya mess - 02/03/10 05:47 AM
Originally posted by rich30529:
Who is they? It originally sounded as if you yourself were going to do the project. Did someone else end up doing it? If so, who was it? Was it a reputable company such as an authorized Avaya Business Partner?
A few years ago a local outfit changed us from our old Southwestern Bell system to the Partner. I would have to assume they are an authorized Avaya BP as they sell and support Avaya systems.

We won't be using them to clean this up however.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya mess - 02/03/10 07:13 AM
I would have to assume they are an authorized Avaya BP as they sell and support Avaya systems.

You couldn't assume more incorrectly. Avaya seems to feel that it is alright that their products can be found all over the internet for sale to anybody. I would hazard to guess that there are hundreds of times more hacks and trunk slammers who are only interested in making a buck than authorized Business Partners who will sell, service and install the system properly and stand behind the product. That said, I would also be careful when choosing a Business Partner to work with because Avaya has not been very strict in choosing who qualifies to be a BP. You will find office machine outfits, CGs, sparkies and some businesses you can't even define as BPs. Most have little to no experience or qualifications in the telecom industry. So like buying anything else, check references and track records.

-Hal
Posted By: PMCook Re: Avaya mess - 02/07/10 01:25 PM
Looks good Hal. But those are 206s. That gives a nice match of 25 pair blocks and extensions since 4*6=24. How would you handle a 509 and 308s using this design? Got any pictures? I'm wanting to clean up an install I did years ago and now is kind of a mess what with all the constant changes they've requested since.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help