atcomsystems.ca/forum
I got an offer in the mail to try Belden's new tool-less fiber connector kit and I signed up on the web. They are sending me the connectors sample kit. From the literature, it just looks like all you do is strip it, cleave it, insert it, and flip a tab on the connector. Then you put the boot on. It's just a matter of time before these types of connectors will be so easy anyone (even a caveman) will be able to do them. Testing is another story.
Same thing here, and I ordered the samples kit. They do show in their literature that there is a tool kit required. I'm currently using the Corning (Siecor) Unicam system and have the tool kits for them, but I was hoping to find a connector that doesn't have any specialized tooling. I think that Unicam is the predecessor of Belden's version without the need for a special "crimping" mechanism. We'll see.
I use the unicams too because few years back I landed to a whole tool kit for free. smile

But Panduit also has one that is tooless AND reusable, so lets say it doesn't pass. You can take the connector off and re do it just like a jack.
it looks like the took kit is just stripper a clever, and some kind of connector holder. I ordered the samples so I guess I will find out soon enough
I got my sample kit today. It consists of two LC connectors and a prepared fiber. Both ends of the little piece of fiber have been stripped and cleaved. All you do is insert it, and move the lever. I haven't done it yet but it looks totally simple. Then I will test my completed fiber for loss results with my light source and power meter. For the guys that ordered the free kit, what do you think? Did you get yours yet?
I got mine within a week and I'm impressed at the simplicity. I think I'll be using them.
Same here, got mine today..Very impressed. Basically strip, cleave, and click
Looks easy enough. Video here https://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid42911329001?bctid=68679006001
I wonder how much they are going to charge for the accessories - the handle, and adapter cords for the visual fault locator. I already have one of those.
OK I got my sample kit, and was not impressed. I must have done something wrong, because the fiber came right out!
You didn't unlock the little black locking clip (they tell you this in the instructions) before you inserted the fiber. Once I stopped trying to do it on my own, then went back and followed the instructions, it worked flawlessly.

Oh and yes, these connectors are forgiving: You can unlock it and reinsert the fiber and it does work just fine. It is amazing how it "feels" like it should when installed correctly.

Now, if I had only done it the right way with the many bikes, toys and sheds I have built without following the instructions.........

It's a man thing I suppose.
Man, I just figured that out. Ed, you save the day once again!
Has anyone "metered" them yet? I am interested in the results.
I also called and got the kit after seeing this thread. Belden is having Graybar send me the pricing for tools and connectors and the local Belden rep wants to meet next Tuesday.
I got the quote for the termination equipment. One would have to do a lot of fiber to pay for either of these kits. Maybe they will be available for rental.

I don't know if it is appropriate to post the pricing given in the Graybar quote.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help