atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: walleye398 Data Certification tester - 03/15/10 11:23 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Datacom Textron LANcat? Seems like it does the basic certification tests, but costs thousands less then Fluke???
Posted By: Clinton Re: Data Certification tester - 03/15/10 12:39 PM
Can you find the website of the manufacturer? I can find websites for lots of online companies selling this unit, and lots of eBay listings. The only link I could find to the manufacturer is now the website of a cyber-squatter. A real certification meter would need to be calibrated eventually, so I would look at what service and support is available before you buy.
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: Data Certification tester - 03/16/10 02:56 AM
Clinton wrote:
Can you find the website of the manufacturer? I can find websites for lots of online companies selling this unit, and lots of eBay listings. The only link I could find to the manufacturer is now the website of a cyber-squatter...
That's a bad sign, and would explain the large number of eBay listings. I have a number of pieces of gear that have been "orphaned" like this, and it is not fun - you can spend three hours on line just trying to find a manual, and come up with squat.

Sometimes you can find out who absorbed the company that made the gear, but even then you are out of luck - the new parent company sometimes seems to just dis-own certain legacy products (or even entire lines), and when you search for info, it is like they never existed.

What is really scary is the speed at which this can happen these days.

Buyer Beware!

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: walleye398 Re: Data Certification tester - 03/16/10 06:47 AM
thanks, sounded to good to be true...
Posted By: surdel Re: Data Certification tester - 04/08/10 11:38 PM
If you ever decide to upgrade, I have experience with this unit and can highly recommend it.

https://www.aaatesters.com/Agilent_Wirescope_PRO_N2640A_100_Cat5e_Cat6_Cat6a.html
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help