atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jjimm Coax Cable Type - 06/10/10 11:14 AM
I am installing a fast food restaurant with 5-6 TV monitors, a small 35 ft X 55 ft space with a 15 ft concrete ceiling 5-6 ft. above the suspended tile ceiling. I have ordered plenum rg6 coax, but I want to be sure I get the best quality. Is there a such thing as plenum quad-shielded rg6 coax? Or should I use quad-shield instead of plenum? It's definitely an open air plenum space.

We're also using AV plenum component cables in 75 ft and 100 ft lengths with 5 RCA plugs on both sides. Plugs are pre-made by machine to insure good quality connection. Customer opted for RCA vs HDMI due to cost. Suggestions?
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/10/10 12:22 PM
What am I missing here? A fast food joint? TV's? We just did a 12 suite villa and employee housing with a 3/4" hardline from the cable company, a Toner Cable 48 port splitter, and a 25dB amplifier. Wow. If the customers don't like the signal, let them go home.

The cable runs in Villa 1 ranged from 25 to 150', the second villa had a 180' feed cable to a 48 port patch panel and we used the amp to offset the 17-23 db pads in the distribution.
These feed 50" 1020p TV's.

Check out www.tonercable.com
for an 11dB terminating 8-way splitter.

Carl
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/10/10 01:45 PM
Is the cable for actual Televisions ot POS's?

For video distribution in homes, offices and restaurants look at Belden 7915A and 7916A coaxial cables. Sweep tested to 3.0 GHz, these cables have the UL fire rating and are designed for DBS(DirectTV/Dish etc.), Broadband CATV(digital cable), Cable Modem and HDTV.

...and of course use compression fittings

Belden website

I am not a salesperson and I don't have an interest in one over brand over another
Posted By: bfdatacom Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/10/10 03:37 PM
you could also run one CAT5E and use this
https://www.muxlab.com/products/ve_vga_Component_VideoAnalog_Audio_Balun.html

or run 2 CAT5E to each TV and use this
https://www.wyrestorm.com/30m_CAT5_HDMI_Extender_p/ext1t101.htm

Neither of the above requires power
Posted By: jjimm Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/10/10 11:34 PM
Is there a such thing as plenum quad-shielded rg6 coax? Or should I use quad-shield instead of plenum for tv monitors?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/11/10 04:45 AM
I'm sure they make quad-shielded RG6 in plenum and you'll definitely need to use plenum, or you may have to rip the cable out if you're inspected. However, you're talking about very short distances so the cable you've ordered should be fine, if it is decent to begin with.
Posted By: pbogi Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/11/10 08:54 AM
jjimm,

Are you certain that it's truly a plenum ceiling? Does it have separate feed and return ducts or just feed ducts with a common open return grid, thereby making it a plenum ceiling?

Quad-shield plenum coax is much more expensive than regular RG6-QS coax. I would check it out before buying any materials.

HTH.

Peter.
Posted By: jjimm Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/12/10 11:25 AM
Thanks Larry. I'm not sure what you mean about the plenum cable being ripped out if inspected. This job will definitely be inspected. Could you elaborate?

Peter, as for the definition of a plenum space, or when to use plenum-rated cabling, here are my criteria- There is a 15 ft. high concrete ceiling with a suspended tile ceiling below it at 8.5 ft high. Above the suspended ceiling is open air. No conduit. Daly City, CA 94014 codes apply.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/12/10 01:25 PM
Jim, I think what Larry means is that if it is a plenum space (and it sure sounds like it is) and you use non Plenum cable an inspector may make you remove the non plenum and replace it with plenum
Posted By: jjimm Re: Coax Cable Type - 06/13/10 01:00 AM
Gotcha.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help