atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: nmartinezjr Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/20/10 07:22 PM
I was wondering how should I connect the alarm line to a 66 block. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: upstateny Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/21/10 03:47 AM
Use a RJ31X jack if you want to do it right ... or just punch it down right on any line.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/21/10 04:45 AM
from the telco side , to the alarm then back
Posted By: tito1411 Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/21/10 05:24 AM
Typically the alarm company will install the RJ31X. You would just provide dialtone to their jack and then another pair coming back to the block to go onto whatever device is using the line. The alarm device sits in between the line and not as a tap. That way it can sieze the line in case of emergency.
On the 66M-50 block assigned for CO lines, put the incoming CO line wires on the last pair of pins at the bottom left.

Then take a quad wire (or cat3), and using the R/G (W/Bl) pair, send the dial tone to the alarm panel. Leave enough slack at his end so the alarm guy can either mount his jack outside or inside the panel.

Then take the the Y/Bk (W/Or) from the panel and punch it down on the last pair of pins at the lower right of the 66M-50 block.

Run a cross-connection wire from the right side pins to whatever block is used for the feed to your phones or equipment.

Put a pair of bridging clips across the pair of pins. This will pass dial tone to your customer's equipment until the alarm guy shows up and wires his RJ31X. Leave a note for him that says "CO feed on R/G - Dial tone to customer on Y/Bk. Please remove bridging clips at bottom of block when you are finished."

In the event that the alarm guy is clueless, you will need to return to show him what a 66 block is, and what bridging clips are, but sometimes they figure it out.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/21/10 07:07 AM
On the 66M-50 block assigned for CO lines, put the incoming CO line wires on the last pair of pins at the bottom left
why would you put it on the last pins ?

just take it wherever it is . if your using line three for the alarm , just connect to the wh/gn etc .

segregating the alarm line and putting out of the co order just leads to confusion in my opinion
Posted By: MnDave Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/21/10 07:44 AM
why would you put it on the last pins ?
I think Arthur was just trying to make it idiot proof. He is an eternal optimist.
:rofl:
Posted By: skip555 Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/21/10 07:53 AM
hows that idiot proof ?, there's trouble on line three and I have to look all over the block for where somebody decide to put it
Posted By: nmartinezjr Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/21/10 08:41 AM
Im new to this forum and also it will be my first time trying to install a 66 block and I thought you start the CO lines from the top left side. How would yall recommend wiring for 12 CO lines and 10 locations. Will 1 66 block to terminate the CO lines and maybe 2 blocks for the wiring to different locations be ok.
"How would yall recommend wiring for 12 CO lines and 10 locations. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haven't you (And we) been down this road before? The recommendations are STILL the same. Esp. the part about having qualified folks do it right and quickly.
Posted By: ComdialJim Re: Connecting alarm line to 66 block - 09/23/10 08:14 PM
Hi,

The way to do it is to call somebody who knows how to do it. This is not a hobby. It is worth paying somebody who does this for a living, is insured and will be there if you have a problem. If you do not want to pay for it then I am sorry but you are on your own.

If I was you I would use a recommended telephone cabling company. Not an electrician, not an uncle who says he wired his house so he can do your office, not the alarm company and by all means not the computer guy.

I am starting to sound like Hal.

Good luck

Jim
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help