atcomsystems.ca/forum
I am going to be installing a 800 foot piece o armord fiber 6 strand mm 62.5/125 .I am just going to be running the cable and I will hire someone to do the termination .I need to supply the materials
I want use the quick connectors but I am not sure which ones to get ST SC ECT.
I know I will need other hardware as well

just looking fo a little guidence

Thanks in advance for any help
You've got to know what type of connector the equipment you're hookin up to accepts, Sc, St, etc. Also, you need to talk to the sub thats doing the connectors and see what hes familiar with.
The types of ends only come into effect when you are connection the fiber into the equipment.

The proper way in to install the fiber ends into a fiber can. From the bulkhead in the fiber can you install a fiber jumper. The fiber jumpers can then be: ST to ST or ST to SC or any other type. NEVER install the fiber directly to the equipment. :nono:

Unicam ends are great, if you know how to install them and polishing the ends are great, if you know how to polish.

Here is a site that sell pre-terminated indoor-outdoor fiber in lengths from 50ft to 1000+ feet and with various connectors.

Pre-terminated fiber

[I have no knowledge of this company neither good nor bad]

So you can see there is a correct way to install the cable, but various ways to terminate the cable.

If you 'google' 6 strand fiber you can find alot of information also. There will also be any more posts after this one... laugh
It also depends on what type of termination equipment the company has that will be doing the terminating and what the network equipment will accept or be compatible with. Ask them what connectors they want.
Instead of hiring someone to do the terminations at the site you might consider buying the fiber pre-terminated. Most common would be with pulling/jacket/ring at both ends, ST connectors (you can use patch cords to convert to anything).

You might also consider installing 10-gig aqua cable (backward compatible) with 1-gig. You just need to use 10-G patch cords. I believe the longest distance you can run 10G is 300 meters, so you should be fine.

The customer can always install cheap 1-gig fiber inserts in their switches now and upgrade them to the more expensive (14x or so) 10G units down the road.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info I am thinking of going with the preterminated fiber .I saw the web site and have been working with them .

I have another question related to the switches what is the difference between using the Fiber insert that plugs into the switch versus those fiber to ethernet connector's

Thanks for the help
Inserts for the switches make a cleaner install. Less cables and theres one less piece of equiment in the TC that may go bad. I leave it up to the IT department to decide what they want in their closet/rack.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help