atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: teldata1 Fiber Cabling - 05/11/11 04:55 AM
I have a potencial Fiber Cabling job they have 3 locations that need fiber .they are one after another .What would be the best way to do this
I was thinking I could run a 6 strand to the first location then terminate that and use 2 strand there then another 6 strand to the next location and connect the 4 remaining strands from the first location terminate 2 strands ther then run another section to the next section for the last 2 strands

Its just one long run with 3 separate locations

or would there be any reason to make them all home runs all home runs

any thoughts would be greatly apperciated

Thanks

Tel-Data1
Posted By: crisco3 Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/11/11 05:58 AM
Go with the home runs. Today they may only need one pair. But what about in the future?
Posted By: Kyawa Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/11/11 07:51 AM
What is the distance from A to B to C? Are you going underground or overhead? What are they using it for? Do you know what they plan to hook it up to?
Posted By: teldata1 Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/12/11 04:21 AM
Not sure on the distance yet but I would say no more than a total of 1500 feet but I still need to measure this .The cable would be running down an over hang of a loading dock exposed to outside but under a roof thats how most of the cables are run to the different business .This company has 4 location that are in different bays it would be for connecting to the exiting data network at the main location
Posted By: Z-man Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/12/11 08:25 PM
This depends a bit on how they want to connect their network as well. I have a customer with a similar setup. The have cisco switches, 4 of them. So we go fiber from A to B, B to C, C to D, and D back to A. If that case you can get away with running one cabling and breaking it up. I will say if you do that, then go 12 strand. Otherwise, if they want everything going back to the main switch, then home run it with 6 strand.
Posted By: teldata1 Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/13/11 03:50 AM
Z-Man
I am wondering why would you have to have D go back to A
Posted By: tito1411 Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/13/11 07:06 AM
It sounds like a ring for redundancy. If any one fiber breaks then the switches will still be able to communicate. You can do the same setup with a star configuration also but since your using the same cable for both paths you have a higher chance of failure because if the fiber gets cut then you'll lose that switch whereas with a ring if a fiber gets cut the switches will still have a path to communicate with.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/14/11 08:11 AM
Exactly what tito said, plus, if they lose switch B, it doesn't take down switch C & D. It a redundency thing, and their corporate policy.
Posted By: teldata1 Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/14/11 10:48 AM
Ok..But I am a bit confused .I thought that each switch would have its own seperate 2 strands of fiber how would all the switches go down if they lost switch B or is this all working off the same 2 strands .

Just another note: There are only 3 location (A,B,C) A is the main location with a working network B is about 550 feet away from A and C is about 400 feet from B

I believe they are just installing 1 Computer at B & C

I would be just installing the fiber and the data company will be installing the fiber adapters
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/14/11 06:04 PM
I have been doing fiber for quite a while now and I install a minimum of 6 strands to each location (I prefer 12 strands) with each providing a home run link back to the server/switch/router, etc. Maybe it's because the people here in western PA change IT companies like they were socks, but each IT management company will demand different connectivity resources. They never have a problem with multiple strands running back to the main server location.

Cisco and HP ProCurve make it easy with fiber connectivity integrated into their products, but other manufacturers require media converters and that is when it becomes most important to provide multi-fiber connectivity at each location. No one will ever fault you for providing more fiber, but don't be caught short for providing too few fibers. The cost, in over all material and labor is almost the same for 6 or 12 fiber. Personally, I would never run just two fiber in any instance when talking about separate buildings. Now, if there is only one computer and can NEVER be anything else, then you may have a point in running just a 2 fiber cable. I wouldn't, but that's just me and being old. smile

Rcaman
Posted By: Z-man Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/14/11 09:59 PM
Originally posted by teldata1:
Ok..But I am a bit confused .I thought that each switch would have its own seperate 2 strands of fiber how would all the switches go down if they lost switch B or is this all working off the same 2 strands .

Just another note: There are only 3 location (A,B,C) A is the main location with a working network B is about 550 feet away from A and C is about 400 feet from B

I would be just installing the fiber and the data company will be installing the fiber adapters
Like I said, every situation will be different. In the case of my one customer, they deploy the cisco switches that have two fiber adapters in them. So each switch is only capable of connecting to two others. In certain locations, they have 4+ switches. So in essence its one big daisy chain. In your case, given the use and distance, I would just pull a 6 strand to each location for a home run. More options and fewer points of failure and db loss.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/14/11 09:59 PM

Like I said, every situation will be different. In the case of my one customer, they deploy the cisco switches that have two fiber adapters in them. So each switch is only capable of connecting to two others. In certain locations, they have 4+ switches. So in essence its one big daisy chain. In your case, given the use and distance, I would just pull a 6 strand to each location for a home run. More options and fewer points of failure and db loss.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/14/11 10:00 PM

Posted By: Kyawa Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/15/11 05:50 AM
So if I read your latest post correctly, you only need 2 runs: A:B and A:C with A being "home." Is this correct? If so, it's a no brainer, run 2-6 strands from A to B and C. Take note of the elements since you mentioned the runs will be outside.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/15/11 06:10 AM
Kyawa,

I think this is starting at a server or main frame location like a server room and then feeding three separate buildings if I read and understand this correctly. Therefore, this job will require three runs of outdoor 6 or 12 strand fiber, one to each location and all terminating in the server room or main frame.

If building "A" is where the server room is, then you would be correct in that only two runs would be required.

Rcaman
Posted By: teldata1 Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/15/11 04:32 PM
It is just 2 locatons that are not connected to there current network B & C so it looks like I will be running 2 seperate 6 strands (home runs) back to A

I guess I was just curious about about weather or not you could or would daisy chain the same 2 strands (A to B B to C) or use 2 different strands from the same cable (2 strands to B & 2 stands to C)

Thanks! for all your responses I really appreicate them

Tel-data1
Posted By: BobRobert Re: Fiber Cabling - 05/16/11 06:43 AM
You could run a single 6 strand fiber from a 6 port LIU at point A to the first 6 ports of a 12 port LIU at point B. Then run another 6 strand from the last 6 ports of the 12 port LIU at point B to its own 6 port LIU at point C. Use 1 meter patch cords at the 12 port LIU to patch the strands from one 6 strand to the other. This will give you 2 strands at both B & C leaving 2 spare strands. Definately not ideal, but it will work.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help