atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: EV607797 Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/22/11 02:05 PM
I have a situation where I need to extend a CATV outlet and the only option is to go under the carpet. I have some UC CAT5 cable for the data and voice part, but I don't think that I've ever seen flat RG6 except for the 12" jumpers that are used by SATV installers to get through windows. Is there such a thing? I'd probably need a 25' pre-assembled cable just to reach to a conference table.
Posted By: FdTech Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/22/11 03:30 PM
Never seen a flat RG6, think it would have a real bad impedance match as the center conducttor, dielectric and the shield need to be a certain distance apart to be 75 ohm.

How about a pair of matching transformers (balun's) and run it on cat.5. I have some video cameras runing over 300 feet on cat.5 and balun's with no problems at all.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/22/11 04:26 PM
How about a pair of matching transformers (balun's) and run it on cat.5. I have some video cameras runing over 300 feet on cat.5 and balun's with no problems at all.

Nooo, I don't think so. There is a WORLD of difference between video and CATV.

Ed, did you try running a 25' length over with your truck tire? aok

To answer your question seriously, find another route other than under the carpet.

-Hal
Posted By: clgjr Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/22/11 04:31 PM
Better yet if possible, stream it wirelessly. Now that I just re-read your post. I've never seen any devices that would extend CATV output wireless! My grandmother use to always say " sometimes its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, Than to speak up and remove all doubt!!" Flat RG6?? never seen that either!
Posted By: clgjr Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/22/11 04:37 PM
Is there by chance a cable box being utilized? If so can it remain in that location, Maybe set on a small shelve? What outputs are on the cable box if one is in place? Then maybe you could come up with something to stream wireless to whatever video display device you have. I tend to over complicate things just do like HBISS suggested... run over it with a big truck tire or pound it flat with a rubber mallet.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/22/11 05:41 PM
If you can go around the edge of the room, instead of directly across the rug, there's always the small space that is created when the tackless carpet guys install the tackless strips. The chase is between the wall and the outer edge of the strip. Carefully lift the carpet, and tuck the Cat5 behind the strip. Wear gloves, because "tackless" does not mean "injury-less."
Posted By: Cepega Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/22/11 08:57 PM
If its a vinyl baseboard you can push the cable under the bottom lip and it'll hold it weel and have it hidden out of the eye sight, I have hidden 2 cat5e cables along side of the wall because the location of the jack was on opposite wall from the desk.

[Linked Image from iolalibraryrenovation.files.wordpress.com]

Or use something like this, but it'll be probably costly

[Linked Image from vayzo.com]
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/23/11 06:19 AM
Since you are going from a wall to the center of the room and under carpet is not an option, then there are two alternatives. Core hole (or drilling) or over-head and a power pole.

Let me guess: the floor is a concrete slab.

If you end up going overhead and using a power pole make sure to take a ppicture of it and post in on that other thread under "Cabling" wink

Keep us updated.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/23/11 06:36 AM
I never used it but it is available
web page

[Linked Image from shop.vetcosurplus.com]
Posted By: skip555 Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/23/11 06:38 AM
I'd probably need a 25' pre-assembled cable just to reach to a conference table.
since its a conference table I'm assuming center of the room so all the baseboard solutions still leave you with having to reach the center at some point

I would use a cord cover at the least used side of the table

cord cover
Posted By: BillFlippen Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/23/11 01:55 PM
Since you are going under carpet is there a chance that the base can be built up a bit under the carpet? then have a channel put in? or is the carpet already installed?

Merritt's suggestion is cool but how do you connectorize it?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/23/11 03:21 PM
They have matching RG-179 F connectors on the site.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/23/11 03:41 PM
Since you are going from a wall to the center of the room and under carpet is not an option, then there are two alternatives. Core hole (or drilling) or over-head and a power pole.

Where did anybody say anything about going to the center of the room???

I'd probably need a 25' pre-assembled cable just to reach to a conference table.

Huhhh????? Where did that quote come from?

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/23/11 03:59 PM

from Ed's post Here , Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 05:47 AM
My bad Hal, I assumed that since it was a conference table and it needed 25 ft premade cable, then the conference table must be in the center of the room.

In the past 25 years I haven't seen a conference table butted against the wall...yet. wink
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 05:55 AM
Gee, it would't be a conference room, it would be a work room. Knights of the 1/2 table. Takes the lustre out of roundtable discussion.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 06:05 AM
Here's one that 1/5" high. Does that count as "flat"? https://www.cicoil.com/cables/configurator.asp
Posted By: Derrick Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 06:42 AM
Yes it does exist. The RV industry uses it a lot to run cables from a portable sat dish thru the window of an RV and still close it. Amazon sells it. It comes in various lengths already terminated. Just do a search there.

They had it made by audiovox but not any longer...good luck!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 01:33 PM
Originally posted by skip555:

from Ed's post Here , Hal
No, my bad. I must have re-read Ed's post 10 times and didn't see that. I must be losing it. I thought somebody was doing some editing after they posted.

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 05:24 PM
Hal, you can never be bad. It's not allowed. laugh
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Carl Navarro:
https://www.cicoil.com/cables/configurator.asp
Carl, Hail and well met!

Per chance thus thou have thee the ability to obtain an answer to mine question I do henceforth inquire, concerning a prior statement made by thee regarding a certain location of some such assemblege as well needed by others?

Thy prior knowledge of a site, me thinks beyond thy control, doth seem to be ill-made as thee instructions clearly stated upon, are not of any avail.

Perhaps if thou spoke with thee honorable and most noble webmaster of said site, perchance a remedy shall be forthhence?

As thus I have always been and shall always remain your humble servent,

Sir Shadow of the Half-Round Table
Posted By: 1864 Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 08:38 PM
Originally posted by metelcom:
I never used it but it is available
web page

[Linked Image from shop.vetcosurplus.com]
Ed, No?

Best option, never know it's there under good padding
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 05/24/11 09:20 PM
LOL Dean. Does than mean moonies (half round, of course).

We replaced the drop leaf table in our kitchen with a genuine round table, but we used to have (in the kitchen, now in the dining room) one of those tables that you added leaves (leafs?) to to make it oval and stretched. Cherie keeps insisting she wants a square drop leaf table. I've managed to ignore her for at least 10 years :-)

Carl (what's the diff?)
Posted By: igadget Re: Does Flat RG6 Cable Exist? - 06/18/11 05:37 AM
I didn't see this solution listed and admittedly I have been a sporadic visitor of late.

The solution I would use is install a 300 ohm flat cable and install 300/75 matching transformers on both ends.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help