atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Michael Havens "I change my mind." - 08/13/11 10:12 AM
I hate it when a guy wants something done and when I get there the customer changes his mind! Just yesterday I go to someones home to put a phone line in. I tell him that I'm going to drill a hole into his wall and he says that he changes his mind! BOZO.
Posted By: kenc Re: "I change my mind." - 08/14/11 08:20 AM
Drill a hole? The nerve.. a few hundred feet of silver satin cord, a couple of staples and a little duct tape is all that's needed
Posted By: skip555 Re: "I change my mind." - 08/14/11 08:43 AM
a few hundred feet of silver satin cord,
fed through a window ...no hole needed :rolleyes:
Posted By: Butch Cassidy Re: "I change my mind." - 08/14/11 08:52 AM
Don't get mad. Charge him for the service call and thank him.
Posted By: John Osvatic Re: "I change my mind." - 08/14/11 11:27 AM
Guy jumped up and down about how slow dialup was in his house. I convinced him to get DSL. I said we should also get rid of the Green, red, yellow, black station wire to eliminate any possible fault point. He said "I don't under$tand why?" Looks like its gonna take me another year to convince him.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: "I change my mind." - 08/14/11 02:49 PM
Welcome to the business...customer decisions subject to change at any time...get it in writing!
Posted By: ffej010 Re: "I change my mind." - 08/14/11 10:11 PM
What is wrong w/ the "green, red, yellow, black" station wire? If installed properly, it should be more than sufficient to handle DSL service.
Posted By: justbill Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 05:45 AM
Originally posted by ffej010:
What is wrong w/ the "green, red, yellow, black" station wire? If installed properly, it should be more than sufficient to handle DSL service.
I agree, no different than using it for voice. No special wiring requirements for DSL.
Posted By: skip555 Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 06:27 AM
its always comical how that DSL signal that has traveled for miles on cat nothing needs the latest and greatest cable for that last hundred feet to ensure optimal performance .
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 06:55 AM
Anyone ever see the super awesome 'DSL optimized' phone cords from Monster Cable? What a joke!
Posted By: Butch Cassidy Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 08:01 AM
Why are you bothering with this? Do you enjoy being poor?
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 03:01 PM
Our company has a 2-hour minimum.
  • I can do the work, or
  • I can not do the work

Either way, it's a 2-hour minimum. But our customers know that up front.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ffej010:
REAL telephone techs know this.
Posted By: Michael Havens Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 07:04 PM
not enough twists in it? is that the right answer?`
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 07:42 PM
No, Michael, you've missed the point.

There is nothing wrong with transporting a DSL circuit over quad wire. We make the argument that since a DSL circuit travels miles over outside plant subscriber cable, which has fewer twists than Cat 3, then it stands to reason that the final few feet do not require anything with more twists, like Cat 3 through 6.

In fact, DSL will work over a half-pair.
Posted By: MnDave Re: "I change my mind." - 08/15/11 07:52 PM
that DSL signal that has traveled for miles on cat nothing
Skip sums it up quite well. Unless you live in a new subdivision, the old phone company cabling never used anything but voice grade - and that term wasn't even used. It was just underground or arial phone cable!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help