atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: erniejoey Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 12:49 PM
Okay so I have had my Fibreglass Pull Rods for years now and they are finally breaking on me. The problem is I can't remember where I got them from. They are small in diameter and super flexible and screw together. They are great for fishing walls and I can bounce them across ceiling tiles. We have the Greenlees that are stiff but not flexible. We also have the Ideals that are smaller but you can't screw them together. Can anybody tell me who makes them and where I can find them.

Thanks
Posted By: ttech Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 12:59 PM
Try labor saving devices LSDINC.COM
Posted By: Derrick Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 01:58 PM
Lowes sells chimney sweep rods that are Fiberglass and screw together as well. You might also try Music Supply Company.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 02:35 PM
I got mine after the Mod's meet in Vegas in 2008. Ordered them from one of the Vendors that were present by the name of of "Bergstrom". They were called "Grabber Tool".

Best darn investment I've ever made in tools. Used it again today.
Posted By: Brian H Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 02:39 PM
I second Labor Saving Devices. Their Creep-Zit kit is the best I've ever used. I have been using them for 20+ years.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 03:57 PM
I also like the Bergstrom they make different stiffness rods and they all screw together
Posted By: dexman Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 05:53 PM
Greenlee also has fiberglass rods.
Posted By: Yoda Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 06:32 PM
Mine are Creep-Zit also. I don't think I got them from LSD's though. But can't remember where, been so long ago. But they are just as you described: flexibel, small diameter, screw together. Had one screw on attachment that was the "egg beater" end for bouncing over ceiling tile grid. Came as 5-six foot pieces in a white tube.

Jim
Posted By: Kevin-MI Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 07:00 PM
The rods that Labor Saving Devices sell are really good. The cost alot but worth it.
Posted By: jong Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/09/11 07:06 PM
Bergstrom Manufacturing, the super flexible orange poles are great for fishing walls, better and faster than the typical steel fish. I haven't touched my steel fish more than ten times in the last year. I think the guy who runs the company is Mark Bergstrom. If you need the number I can get the tube from my truck. He does sell stiffer versions but they keep cracking on me. He will replace but you have to pay shipping.
Posted By: ttech Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/10/11 06:03 AM
I have a Rectangular wall fish and it works really well. They also carry the thin rods.
Posted By: gelehu Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/10/11 06:53 AM
This place seems to have a good selection
https://www.pushpullrods.com/index.htm.
Also, if you have a Harbor Freight nearby they have some cheapo sets for about $8.Theyre smaller diameter(3/16) but are very flexible.Only problem Ive had is the screw ends pull off if stressed a bit. They also have a 25' fiberglass fish tape for about $6, just the tape no case, but it works just fine.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/10/11 09:35 AM
I really like the thin greenlee rods from HD except for the fact that they don't screw together. I also have a set of the 1/4 inch ones but I lost one in a wall. Oops!
Posted By: Yoda Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/10/11 10:43 AM
I just looked at my tubes. One set is from Security Equipmenet Supply. The other one has a Sandman label on it.

Jim
Posted By: Voyager Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/13/11 11:51 AM
Mine came from Home Depot
Posted By: Deltron Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/14/11 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Yoda:
[QB] Mine are Creep-Zit also.
I use those too. SES had them on sale a few weeks ago for $70. I bought a half dozen of them.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/14/11 07:58 AM
I got my last ones from Home Depot, but my fish tape came from https://www.pushpullrods.com/
The price was very reasonable, 150' for about $120. It's funky because it has no reeler, just a tube that it wraps into, but my remaining 90' still works :-)
Posted By: doghart Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/16/11 09:09 PM
2nd vote for Creep-zit rods.

Had mine for 10+ years, don't splinter and are pretty flexible.

https://www.amazon.com/LABOR-SAVING..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324098635&sr=8-1

D
Posted By: erniejoey Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 12/21/11 03:02 PM
So it sounds like the Creep-zit Rods are the smallest and most flexible. We have the Greenlee and they are way too stiff. Thanks everybody, I will try to hunt them down...
Posted By: dwflood Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 01/15/12 06:26 AM
I have a set of Creep-Zit rods that have outlasted any others I have tried. Only problem is they're too flexible and not the best for pushing through ceilings/v-bars.
Posted By: surdel Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 02/24/12 04:01 PM
One thing I have not done in telecom is doing residential installs. What tool would best be used to fish/drill from a second story attic to a outlet on the first floor?

Is it better to start from the bottom floor and drill/fish up or from attic down? I would imagine going from attic down would work best.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 02/24/12 04:17 PM
I usually run the fish down, then pull the wire up from the new jack location.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 02/24/12 08:10 PM
Originally posted by surdel:
One thing I have not done in telecom is doing residential installs. What tool would best be used to fish/drill from a second story attic to a outlet on the first floor?
Unless you are dealing with a VERY old house that was built using "balloon" framing, where outside wall studs run the full height of the building, you'll likely never fish from the attic to the first floor.

Today's framing standards pretty much require that a house is built one floor at a time. The second floor rests atop the first floor as a completely separate structure. Top plates on walls effectively provide horizontal blocking in stud bays. With outside walls, fire stopping blocks between studs also tighten the strength of the wall by minimizing flexing of the studs.

The bottom line is that you need to learn to utilize surface wiring methods using the inside face walls of closets and tucking wire under baseboards in residential work. Houses weren't (and still aren't ) built to allow upgrades of any technology without wall damage. Unlike office buildings that are generally ceiling-accessible, finding dropped-tile ceilings in a residence is a true rarity.

Residential work is twice as hard as commercial; not for rookies for sure. I avoid it as much as I can and charge extra when I have no choice.
Posted By: festec Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 03/02/12 01:39 PM
just bought 4 glow in the dark rods today @Greybar and they are not cheap...
topic
https://www.contact-directconnect.com/internet.htm
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Fibreglass Pull Rods - 03/02/12 05:38 PM
I will kick in one more for LSD, great kits
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help