atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: raidsystemtech Wirless T1 ? - 02/13/13 08:31 PM

Can anyone tell me what exactly is a wireless T1 service or basically a wireless broadband internet service aimed at business customers?

Is an FCC license required or do they use open public frequency?

Is it more of a wifi type of product or more of a cell phone internet product? I am just trying to get my arms around how it works?

Thanks.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Wirless T1 ? - 02/13/13 10:44 PM
What are you trying to do with a wireless T-1?

We used to provide wireless T-1 as a Microwave product for linking two corporate locations or to provide Dial Tone or Internet access from a CLEC to a customer. Depending on the distances involved FCC licenses might or might not be required.

Line of sight was a requirement.

Sam
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Wirless T1 ? - 02/15/13 12:16 AM
I have a line of sight Motorola radio delivering T1 for internet access. Just like any other T1 with the exception of the delivery media.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Wirless T1 ? - 02/15/13 02:25 AM
An Infrared "pipe" is very short range and requires no FCC License.

38ghz microwave (which can provide at least T-3 bandwidth) does not require an FCC license, but the "channels" are owned by local companies. They have a maximum range of 1-2 miles, depending on the location and size of the antenna.

Anything lower (25ghz, 12ghz, 2ghz etc.) requires an FCC license and will go longer distances. The lower the frequency, the farther they go.

The longest shot I ever worked on was about 40 miles. The shortest, across a side street in Midtown Manhattan.

Sam
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Wirless T1 ? - 02/15/13 12:51 PM
We have cellular internet through CLEAR at our small branch office. The unit just plugs into our firewall and functions as any broadband service would.
I am guessing the other providers offer something similar.

Posted By: jwooten Re: Wirless T1 ? - 02/15/13 01:10 PM
Wireless T's have been used for a great many years in my area. They're primarily used for cross border hops delivering US telco/home office tie-lines to the maquilladora industry in Mexico. Usage has decreased as Mexico has built more and better communications infrastructure bringing them out of the stone age!
Posted By: TeleServPro Re: Wirless T1 ? - 02/19/13 07:53 PM
I would think these days it's all just considered "Fixed Wireless", regardless of the transmission medium: 3G/4G, spectrum WiMAX, radio frequency, optical wireless, etc.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help