atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda Coax tools - 08/07/13 12:12 AM
I don't do a lot of coax work, but enough to go through a box of coax every now and then. I've used some RG6 with my old tools: a Cable Pro (really old)compression press and a dual level stripper. F connectors are RG6NRO.

Its time to get a new box of coax, and I'm wondering if I should get the quad shielded stuff? I suppose if I do, I would need a new stripper? And probably new F conn and a new press. (Wow, one thing leads to another.)

Also, I see a lot of F connectors with a colored band at one end. What do the colors stand for? And do I need these versus my connectors that are cone shaped after pressing?

What do you recommend for coax, stripper, press and F connectors?

Thank you!
Jim
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Coax tools - 08/07/13 01:17 AM
For the tool I always used the PCT-TRS-CT-AS Compression Tool. It's tough and works well- definitely not consumer grade.

POKE HERE

I have a new one in the box for $45.00 if anyone is interested. I paid over $64.00. Bought it as a spare but I don't see me ever wearing out the original one.

Posted By: hbiss Re: Coax tools - 08/07/13 01:40 AM
You don't need quad shield unless someone like a cable company tells you to use it and that's very rare. Those connectors with colored bands are probably a manufacturers way of identifying their connector type. Most cable companies use PPC connectors specifically the EX6 and I would strongly suggest that you do the same unless you want the cable guy to cut it off and throw it away. I also recommend Cable Prep for prep tools and compression tools. There is a lot of junk out there these days made for sparkies, IT weenies and DIYers. Cable Prep has been around almost since day one of cable TV and as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have anything else in my tool bag.

-Hal
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Coax tools - 08/07/13 02:27 AM
As it just "makes sense" to run Cat 6 in your new house because running it later would obviously be a pain...I use the same mentality for coax.

Hal is right about the PPC and Cable Prep, top notch stuff. I deal with four different cable companies around here and all of them are using PPC.

What comes from the home centers are for sparkies and will do in a pinch but certainly not the best.
Posted By: 93mdk93 Re: Coax tools - 08/07/13 04:04 AM
Agreed, Hal - we use the EX6 and I've never had one go bad. I have a Platinum SealSmart compression tool in my bag that has worked flawlessly for years.

And it was a former CATV sub I hired who convinced me to use quad shield but it's probably overkill for 95% of the environments I encounter. He was an interesting fellow - I think his motto was "work harder, not smarter!"
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: Coax tools - 08/07/13 09:36 AM
RBF remember Murphy's law "If you get rid of it then you'll need it, if you keep it you'll have it forever."
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Coax tools - 08/07/13 12:10 PM
I have both TNB Snap - N - Seal and PPC EX6 connectors.
Belden now owns both brands, but I prefer the PPC connectors. That is what Time Warner has been using for a while.

I have a Ripley CT2-AS compression tool that will do F connectors for RG69, RG69, and RG11.
I also have a Platinum Tools compression tool that will do F, BNC, and RCA.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Coax tools - 08/08/13 01:11 PM
I have used Tesco tools for years. They carry various brands from manufacturers that specialize in commercial grade tools. RG6-U is good for 95% of all coax installations. The more simple a coax connector, the more reliable. I don't trust connectors that don't allow me to see the finished connection.

Rcaman
Posted By: WiringSolutions Re: Coax tools - 08/29/13 02:02 AM
I know it's a little late, but as a cable tech the best tool we ever used was a Thomas & Betts IT1000 compression tools. If all you are terminating is RG6 or RG59 it's the only tool you need. All of the new levered compression tools make it a little less work to compress the fitting but the IT1000 was always the fastest.
Posted By: Yoda Re: Coax tools - 10/04/13 01:44 AM
Ordering F connectors for my new Cable Prep tool. Should I get PPC EX6 or EX6XL?

Thanks.
Jim
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help