atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jeffmoss26 New toner - 04/29/14 01:52 PM
A friend sent me a brand new Fluke Pro3000 toner kit. So far it seems really nice, a step above the Progressive/Tempo I've been using.
Anyone else using this model?
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: New toner - 04/29/14 03:30 PM
I have both. Try toning a live pair with the 3000 :-(

I actually got, and love, a new Tempo 77GX https://www.greenlee.com/products/GENERATOR%2540c-TONE-77GX-%2877GX%29.html

It has a short jumper to plug into outlets, a 2-line polarity checker, and different tones on the face of the unit.

Carl

Posted By: Pinecreekboy Re: New toner - 04/29/14 04:24 PM
I've got two of them and love it.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: New toner - 04/29/14 07:28 PM
Here's a hint that I may have told y'all about getting the best results when toning: In a multiple pair cable, split the pairs, that is, send tone on the Tip side of two pairs, instead of sending on a full pair. The unbalance allows the tone to be received / perceived much better at the other end.

Further, you can use a whole (shorted) pair on one test lead of the tone supply, and ground the other lead. That will allow a lot of spillage, but the signal will get through over great distances.

When trying to tone a data jack by plugging in the tone supply's modular cord, and getting nowhere, try using a chunk of 4-pair, with a 8p8c plug, and using the pairs (or split pairs) other than the Bl/W. Mr. Sparky may have only terminated the orange and green pairs, to save time, leaving the blue and brown pairs curled up behind the faceplate.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: New toner - 04/29/14 07:51 PM
Carl, when you say a live pair, do you mean a pair with DT on it?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: New toner - 04/30/14 01:37 AM
I use that model also Jeff. It is better than some of my older Tempo models.
Posted By: hawk82 Re: New toner - 05/01/14 02:15 PM
I have this kit. Beware of the toner: the buttons are easy to push down accidentally in your toolbag and you'll have a dead toner just when you need it. Carry a spare 9V battery just in case. This has happened to me on several occasions.

The probe is kinda average. Not the greatest but not the worst. It gets *loud* which is nice in noisy CO environments. Also it (the tip) conducts electricity so don't touch across 66 blocks (I made that mistake once with a live T-1 circuit crossconnected through a 66 block). Sparked good and scared the crap out of me. T-1 circuit went down for 5 minutes but thankfully came back up on its own. Swipe across the wires on the outside of the 66 block. The tip is fragile (although I haven't broken it yet). There is a spare tip in case you break it off, behind the battery door if I remember correctly.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: New toner - 05/01/14 03:54 PM
Jeff,

I do electrical wiring as well as telephone and computer wiring. A few years ago, I was toning some NM cable (Romex if you know the brand) in an older building. I was using a Progressive Electronics 77HP tones to find which cable I was working with. I forgot that the toner was still on the cable when I energized the cable. As I was walking back to the place where I was testing the cables, I got this "sinking feeling" that I goofed. I climbed the ladder expecting to find a puddle of solder and a burned out toner only to discover the toner now had a green LED and was still functioning perfectly. So, to answer your question, some toners will work on "live" circuits, some will not.

I have a Fluke Intelliprobe Pro 200 that has indicator LEDs that flash when you are on a "live" data line. Testing a data line connected into a switch will yield a short indication on all pairs, but the Fluke will let me know if the cable is patched through and, with Arthur's excellent trouble shooting hint, that Fluke will tone across ground (you can use an AC outlet ground) and any pair connected to the switch and you will get tone. The thing eats 9V batteries, but it has saved me a tremendous amount of time testing network cables, so I look at the batteries as just the cost of doing business.

Rcaman
Posted By: Pinecreekboy Re: New toner - 05/01/14 07:50 PM
Hawk82 the case has a rigid back. If you turn the probe and generator buttons towards the back it greatly reduces the times I've had a dead battery. Please don't ask how many years and batteries it took for me figure that out.
Posted By: Derrick Re: New toner - 05/02/14 12:21 AM
I switch the Fluke toner to cont and make sure the clips don't touch each other in my bag. This helps save the battery.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: New toner - 05/02/14 01:03 PM
I talked to Carl yesterday, and what he meant was if you tone a line that has DT on it, it will not pass tone through.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New toner - 05/07/14 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Rcaman
... I was using a Progressive Electronics 77HP tones to find which cable I was working with. I forgot that the toner was still on the cable when I energized the cable....

Rcaman

I am not an electrician, but it seems inherently dangerous to make a circuit ‘live’ with the ends exposed.

I don’t know how many times I have opened a ceiling tile to discover exposed wires from M/C and open junction boxes. I tag the tile with painters tape, so the next person on the crew is aware of the danger, and inform the MFIC.

Posted By: Rcaman Re: New toner - 05/07/14 08:45 PM
No exposed wiring. Cable was terminated on a connection block. The cables were all marked but the other end had different markings. The cable I was trying to find had one marking at the terminal and another at the breaker end. But, for sure, I should have double checked the toner and removed it before I energized the circuit. However, if I did that, I wouldn't have such an interesting story, now would I?

Rcaman
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: New toner - 05/07/14 11:39 PM
Most toners (especially the ones with a ringing indicator) can tolerate upwards of 90 Vac, since that's the level of ringing current. So, I imagine that 120 wouldn't be a big problem for something designed for generator.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help