atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda Key System Protection. - 06/22/14 06:04 PM
What are your suggestions for protection of a small key system after the telco NID? The telco protection and KSU could be separated anywhere from next to each other to 50 feet away. Looking for 6 and 25 pair models.

Thanks.
Jim
Posted By: dexman Re: Key System Protection. - 06/22/14 09:56 PM
I edited the title and dropped the subsequent post. smile
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Key System Protection. - 06/22/14 10:22 PM
We always use Panamax AC & CO protection. We've had very good results.
Posted By: dexman Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 12:37 AM
I think that the Panamax line of telecom surge suppression devices now goes by the name ITWLinx. The Panamax website lists mostly power conditioning products.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 04:30 AM
Why do you feel that you need to add protection to an already-protected circuit?
Posted By: skip555 Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by nfcphoneman
We always use Panamax AC & CO protection. We've had very good results.

Same here.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom
Why do you feel that you need to add protection to an already-protected circuit?

its secondary protection and protects against voltages beyond whats "already protected" . we have all seen blown out equipment behind telco protected circuits
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 12:29 PM
The standard is to protect circuits LEAVING the premise and feeding out buildings or other structures like in a campus environment. Unless the Telco protection is woefully substandard, there is no need for secondary CO protection.

That said, secondary protection can be indicated if the distance from the point of demarcation to the actual equipment is long or for what reason a craftsperson determines the Telco protection is inadequate. I have ordered secondary protection in manufacturing buildings where the telephone demarc is on one end of the building and the equipment is at the other end with multiple cable crossings with power and control cable is encountered. The key to this whole thing is proper bonding.

Rcaman
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 12:56 PM
When you live in the lightning capital of the world, you put in secondary protection, or you replace a lot more equipment.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by nfcphoneman
When you live in the lightning capital of the world, you put in secondary protection, or you replace a lot more equipment.

Exactly I've had lightning literly blow the panamax off the wall and across the room yet the equipment was fine.
I had another customer with engineering background say no to secondary protection gave me a long engineering explanation as to why it wasn't needed. After losing 22 ports on two separate lightning strikes he couldn't get it in fast enough. We never lost another port.
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 03:26 PM
We recommend a Ditek unit on most systems. They must work pretty good because as much lightning as Missouri gets......we don't seem to generate much revenue after storms roll through.
Posted By: Yoda Re: Key System Protection. - 06/23/14 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom

I was taught that the Telco protection was good for handling big, heavy hits, but their protection didn't act fast enough to protect sensitive electronics. OK for a 2500 set, but not a KSU.

The secondary protection didn't handle a heavy hit, but did react very fast, thus protecting the connected electronics.

Jim
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help