atcomsystems.ca/forum
I have a client who has a existing up and running retail store and the company bought out the space of two other retail centers. The PM wants to extend two cat5 cables to the next building and then terminate it on a bix 1 a Demacaction Point. I know traditionally, I would use cross connect wire and then terminate for example one long wire for five phone from binder post 1 then 5 then then 9 and so on. The wire takes on the shape of a sinusoidal wave form. But what I would like to know is can a second pair set be terminated over a existing pair set on the binder post of Bix 1a?
You're either talking in circles or talking American English. help

All kidding aside...

BIX 1A - 25 single pairs in groups of 5 groups
BIX 1A4 - Same as above but pairs on in groups of 4 pair wire
BIX 2A - 12 groups of 2 Pair connections (Like for older s-pr systems)
BIX 5A - 5 Groups of 5 connections for the same pair
BIX 7A - 3 groups o0f 7 connections for the same pair

There are others, but those are the usual ones.

The question is what are you using the 2 Cat 5 cables for?

If I understand your post, you want 8 individual pairs going to the next store, and in turn be able to X-connect several SLT's to the same pair.

If so, you can take the 1st pair and loop it across several connection points, then do the same with each pair. Remember your connections will be in the rear of the block once you're done. You may also need more than one block. Again depends on what you're doing.

Phone me if you don't understand. 819-564-2303
old post smile job was canceled for what ever reason. I figure, blue jumper pair can be looped from first pair to the start of the next pair, I think binder #5 for line one on a second bix1a for more phones that exceed the capacity of a bix1a.
nix the bix

66 is the fix
66 VS BIX. This should be good. popcorn
Cute & short poem Arthur.

Those who haven't worked with BIX, can't get their minds out of the 18th century.

No-one uses 66 blocks in Canada unless they're working on VERY OLD existing infrastructure, which is getting pretty much zip up here.

Someone will have to explain to me just what you can do with 66 blocks, that you can't do with BIX.....in a whole lot less space. When BIX is properly set up and properly labelled, it can look real "Purdy" and easy to work on...

I agree with Arthur & others that sometimes "the old way is best" on some subjects, but for others, "the new way" is better, faster & cleaner.

Comparing 66 blocks to BIX is like comparing 1A key to TDM, or even IP systems. Night and day.
When my former employer, Global Crossing [now part of Level(3)] built what ended up being the final OPS site in Boston, a Norstar key system was selected.

Whoever did the install used BIX.

The cross-connects were unruly and block labeling/color coding nonexistent.

True, that can be "blamed" on the installer(s), but it made for a huge headache trying to figure out what went where after the fact.

66 block wiring can also look like pile of spaghetti, but, the larger spacing between the pairs make working with wiring easier (to me anyways) than Krone, 110 or BIX.

But, as they say, YMMV.
Most of my install I not given a full 4X8 sheet of plywood to install my telephone gear on. Real estate is the big issue .
Bix takes way less space.
With 66 blocks, color coded backboards can be used to designate purpose and provide uniform spacing between rows and columns. smile

BIX may have something similar, and if it does, I wish it had been used at the office. frown
Dex, there are all kinds of pdf literature on how BIX should be installed. Check it out.....you may just like it smile
Question for the BIX crowd. How to you isolate pairs for troubleshooting without bridging clips?
In all my years in this industry, I've never seen a bridging clip up here, although I know what they.

To answer your question, simply pull the jumper.
With the mention of bridging clips, I have to wonder: Do Canadian standards include an equivalent to the US' RJ21X jack for the demarcation and identification of CO lines or circuits? Is there a Bix version of it?

TYPICAL US RJ21X JACK ILLUSTRATION
Showing my ignorance, I guess, but Ive been in the business 43 years worked all over and dont ever remember terminating anything on a Bix.Im 71 so Im not gonna invest in a blade now.Id have to be retrained and everything.
A lot of bix questions answered here: Belden BIX catalog
I had the bridging clips on one of my installations several years ago. What was then BCTel put them between their rails and mine.
I learned something new; never saw BIX bridging clips before.

I have a few sites with existing BIX terminations, we cross-connect onto 66 blocks for the phone system. Every pair gets bridging clips.

Yes, I have a BIX tool. It's just not what we use.
Yes Ed we use both the Bix demark and the RJ21 We did when I worked here and I don't think it has changed. Here is a picture of the Bix demark. We had a clip that joined the pair. [Linked Image from images.eanixter.com]
Too many components for my taste to have to stock in order to do an installation properly.

....And off come the gloves!
All you usually need, Ed is the following:

a) Mount QMBIX10A (Backboard)(Good for 10 Blocks for a total of 250 Pair)
b) QCBIX1A Blocks (25 Pair)
c) Optional QCBIX1A4 Blocks marked off for 4 pair wiring. Optional only if you want it.
d) Label Strips

Not a heck of a lot more than you use....

To answer a question above about DMarcs. Bell will either terminate the lines on biscuit jacks or ON BIX Blocks. Up to me if I'm there.

If however I want to use "jack strips" for the DMarcs, I can use QCBIX36B Blocks (12 x 2 pair modular jacks).

For smaller installations, I'll use the the bottom 2 or 4 positions for the Data Terminations using NXXCBMC6U blocks (6 x modular Cat 6 Jacks.)

This keeps everything neat & clean.

P.S.: I always put the data jacks on the bottom so any patch cords are not dangling in front of my telephone connections.
I see your point, Dave. I guess that for a typical installation that I would do, I'd spend a comparable amount for the appropriate backboards and blocks. The problem is in situations where only a single block is needed. I can (reluctantly) purchase an 89B bracket for about two bucks and a 50 pair 66M1-50 block for another seven. For nine bucks, I have space for the termination of any variety of 25 or 4-pair cables for a small installation.

How do you justify the cost for the hardware when doing something comparable with BIX? I can't see purchasing a full mount for just one or two 1As. Besides, I'd be all kinds of pissed if someone came along and stole space on my BIX mount.
There are at least 4 types of mounts:
a) QMBIX12-x? Good for 12 blocks (300 pair)(I seldom use them)
b) QMBIX10A Good for 10 blocks (250 pair)
c) QMBIX10B Good for 4 blocks (100 pair)
d) QMBIX10C Good for 2 blocks (50 pair)

The normal ones used are b, c & d. In fact, QMBIX10A's are readily available up here from out orders. When a I get a surplus, I cut the mount into a 4 block and a 6 block mount. Thus I can install whichever will fit the job & a little for spare. Even if I've used a smaller mount, then they expand to the point that I need more blocks, I wire in a way that I can easily replace the mount for a larger one. No banjo stringing here!

Justification? Hey, pay now for the best & forget the rest! smile

It's like terminating data cables with jacks +/or patch panels or with just modular plugs. I would pay more for a quality installation.

If a client bitches about the cost, guess what he gets in return. Almost always have me change it and are willing to pay for it. I carry some pics when I quote to show the difference.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help