atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: pingable How Would You Lay Out This IP Office Rack - 03/18/16 01:15 AM
24 Port Data Patch
Switch
48 Port Patch
Switch
1U ~Brush Plate~
24 Port Data Patch
24 Port Voice Patch
30 Port Digital Station - 400 series
24 Port Voice Patch
1U ~Brush Plate~
16 Port Digital Station *the other 6 voice patches from the 1st voice patch come through the brush plate. - 400 Series
IPO500 V2
1U ~Brush Plate~
Router
Brush Plate
UTM Appliance

I plan to use primarily short patch cords direct from port2patch. No Horizontal Cable Managers.

Where I need to get from one U space and down a couple U's , IMO the 1U brush plates look cleaner than running them to the side of the rack down and then back in.

Thoughts ?

[Linked Image from pingable.net]

I know your trying to save some cash, but ultimately it will look like crap once everything is patched in. You need both horizontal and vertical management.

BTW, there are some nice looking management systems out now.

Posted By: hawk82 Re: How Would You Lay Out This IP Office Rack - 03/19/16 12:20 AM
Split up the data and voice equipment to two separate labeled racks. Logically lays out better, in my opinion. If room allows.
It's not about cash. I'm trying to minimize the footprint above to maintain as much U as I can in a 48U full cab....ontop of the 6U the UPS will eat up.

The brushed bars 1U ain't cheap. Actually runs more than a horizontal cable manager.
Normally I use 1 foot and 2 foot patch cables and make it as clean as possible. If I have to I'll renumber ports to extension, so the ports and cables are directly horizontal to each other.
I tend to agree with John807...

[Linked Image from i149.photobucket.com]

Disregard the long white cord heading to the left. Going to the IT's desk just out of view while programming something on a laptop.
Yes that's what one of mine would look like as well. If you want to get fancy you could color code trunks, single lines, Digital and IP. However in my humble opinion it's over kill.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help