atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: John807 I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/25/16 09:55 PM
After 30+ years I'm tired of looking for, losing shears. I currently use a dual leather pouch for the knife and shears. Lately I've been using and losing the $20 plus ergonomic shears, Can anyone recommend a better pouch? I do like leather so if there isn't one out there I guess I'll have to make, modify something.
Thanks
Posted By: MooreTel Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/25/16 11:54 PM
I still use the type that Bell used. You can get them at Sandman's site
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/26/16 01:15 AM
Part Number: HND1B Is this the one? Shears only? The one I currently use is a knock off of the old knife and shears double pouch. The one I liked and can't find was the "Micky Mouse" it only held shears but "cupped" the handles so they didn't fall out.
Thanks
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/26/16 05:21 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-5100M-Leather-Tunnel-Scissors/dp/B002AI4T7K

https://www.ripoffs.com/datasheets/co13/co13.html - this one is nylon and has a velcro flap to hold them in
Posted By: MooreTel Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/26/16 01:19 PM
That's not the one I was thinking about and I don't see it there any more. The one I meant was like what Bell uses that's made for a skinning knive and a pair off scissors.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/26/16 04:42 PM
Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5187T-Scissors-Cable-Splicers/dp/B0002RI6D4/ref=pd_sim_469_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=31rSD97wzmL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1AD71EF4M2YK7SCCNCCV
Posted By: skip555 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/26/16 05:30 PM
this one from Fluke has fascinated me , but not enough to fork over the $$$ its supposed to grab the tools to keep em in place

https://www.specialized.net/Special...0-DurAGrip-Tool-Pouch-for-IS40-3561.aspx

Shears ?
Scissors ?

Ive always heard /used "snips"
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/26/16 06:58 PM
The klein is what I have that the snips, shears, scissors constantly fall out of in the truck, crawl spaces, leaning over anything that turns the pouch. The knife always stays put though.
Many years ago an old timer corrected me when I said snips.
He said snips are for tin scissors are for fabric and shears are for cable. To which I replied or sheep.
Posted By: justbill Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/26/16 07:15 PM
That "old timer" must have never been a splicer, they were always snips. I've never lost a pair because they fell out of the pouch, must have been lucky.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/27/16 01:18 AM
My various mentors on this forum instructed me that they are called snips, so that is what I have always called them.
I have a pouch in my bag that holds snips, a cable splicing knife, punchdown tool, probe pick, and a sharpie.

https://www.amazon.com/Ripoffs-CO-70-Technician-Tool-Holder/dp/B004IX7FY4
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/27/16 03:00 AM
What, no spudger???
Posted By: MooreTel Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/27/16 12:32 PM
Yes Dave, that's the design however mine look like a heavier grade of leather.

The only time I don't wear that pouch is when I have to dress up to go out. Remember me in Vegas? LOL

Once the scissors, or snips start falling out, it's time for a new pouch. Any tool that I need under say $25 is a business expense, so why not get what you need or want to do the job?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/27/16 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom
What, no spudger???

Uncle Arthur - this is plastic on one side, metal on the other:
https://www.specialized.net/Special...00-Insulated-Telecom-Probe-Pic-3625.aspx
Posted By: 1864 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/28/16 01:12 AM
The old timers around here called them "dikes"....(nothing to do with rosie o'donnell).. I think it was short for diagonal, as in "diagonal" pliers.

I lose them so often, I buy a couple at a time, of cheap ones.
No pouch will stop you from leaving them up in the ceiling frown
Posted By: skip555 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/28/16 02:32 PM
dikes are dikes , snips are snips , two unique and separate tools
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/28/16 09:27 PM
After a little experimentation these fall out

these

The standard issue stay put.
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/28/16 09:32 PM
That being said is anyone using ergonomic snips they would consider head and shoulders above the rest?
Posted By: skip555 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/28/16 10:41 PM
I bought a cheap (10 or so ) pair and they where crap Ive been using these , don't know their head and shoulders above all others but they work fine for me .

I rarely cut heavier than 6 pair and when I do I use cable cutters .

the heavy handles may be part of the issues your seeing with them falling out do you really need the ergonomic handle ? try a old standard pair and see how that works

Klein Snips
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/29/16 08:01 AM
I have the Fluke snips and hate them. Whoever designed them must have had real small fingers as they are very uncomfortable to use.
Posted By: justbill Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/29/16 02:17 PM
If you're using regular snips properly the only finger hole used is the bottom with your ring or little finger, if you're trying to use them like scissors you'll never get them to cut correctly or comfortably. I've never used or tried the ergonomic type.
Posted By: RRino Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/29/16 06:24 PM
These are my favorite
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WS0618/?tag=ataofhoco-20

Although I think Fiskars has stopped making them.
Posted By: Silversam Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/30/16 01:00 AM
We always used our ring finger in the bottom hole and pushed down on the top of the shears with the ball of the hand.

And yes, Shears. Always Shears.

"Seamstresses use scissors. Splicers use shears." A quote from Morgan Harris (at one time the fastest splicer in the Bell System and my old partner in many jobs and adventures.) RIP
Posted By: Pinecreekboy Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/30/16 04:57 PM
I once saw a tradesman using a couple of Setwear pouches so I looked them up and bought a couple of different ones. Here's the one I use most often for quick jobs. As you can see it's not perfect but I've never lost a tool either. I like being able to take it off my belt when I'm in a tight spot and can't reach my hip easily.

https://setwear.com/collections/pouches/products/utility-pouch

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/30/16 10:30 PM
From the oddest source. My brother the Marine, "soak that leather in water a good long time, then put yer s*** in it, I guarantee it ain't gonna fall out, and when it does do'er again"
Posted By: hbiss Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 03/31/16 05:00 PM
I've used these for years. Mine have an orange handle.
[Linked Image from ecx.images-amazon.com]

Like Sam and Bill say- "We always used our ring finger in the bottom hole and pushed down on the top of the shears with the ball of the hand." You never put your finger through the top hole and with these you get greater leverage. I have no trouble cutting 25 and even 50 pair CAT3.

-Hal
Posted By: hawk82 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/01/16 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by skip555
I bought a cheap (10 or so ) pair and they where crap Ive been using these , don't know their head and shoulders above all others but they work fine for me .

I rarely cut heavier than 6 pair and when I do I use cable cutters .

the heavy handles may be part of the issues your seeing with them falling out do you really need the ergonomic handle ? try a old standard pair and see how that works

Klein Snips
That's what I use. I left a pair on a NID, went back the next day and the LEC tech took 'em. Jerk. I've returned their tools before. No karma.

As for a pouch, I usually wear carpenter style jeans, and they have a handy "tech" pocket on the right leg. The snips fit good in there, as does the 216, 6-n-1 screwdriver, and scotchlock need-l-lock pliers.
Posted By: justbill Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/01/16 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by John807
From the oddest source. My brother the Marine, "soak that leather in water a good long time, then put yer s*** in it, I guarantee it ain't gonna fall out, and when it does do'er again"

That's a pretty good idea, shrink the leather down to match what you're carrying. Wet leather tied to different areas of your body used to be a form of torture, probably still is used for that.
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/01/16 10:01 PM
O.k. I soaked the pouch put everything in while damp not soaking wet. Let dry, so far so good. Let you know in a week or so....
Thanks
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/01/16 10:07 PM
Hal,
I can't read the writing,what shears are they?
Thanks
Posted By: mbhydro Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/02/16 01:14 PM
Looks like these ones on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Miller-925Cs-Ergo-Ergonomic-Electrician-Scissors/dp/B00DIQ4LZS

Platinum Tools also have a similar one P/N 10515C
Posted By: hbiss Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/02/16 03:07 PM
Yes, that's the one.

-Hal
Posted By: oobie Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/04/16 04:48 PM
I atleast once a month throw my leather pouch in a bucket of water over a weekend! Works like a charm!

Posted By: surdel Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 04/21/16 09:00 PM
How about a keychain retraction cable ? Besides, it wont poke a employees eye out if it drop out of your hand while on a ladder.
Posted By: John807 Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 05/06/16 07:07 PM
O.k. since the leather went in water, no issues. I also changed to the yellow handled Millers mentioned previously. Re-shrunk the leather to accommodate the smaller size. Hint I put both my knife and shears in the fingers of vinyl gloves before putting them in the soaking wet pouch. I used the Millers to cut a piece of abandoned BX casing to use as a flexible conduit cut easy a lot easier than the South Wires would have.
Thanks,
John
Posted By: Derrick Re: I'm tired of losing shears. - 09/04/16 12:20 AM
Man, I do miss all my telecom tools.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help