atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Not_sirius fishing conduit - 07/06/16 05:28 PM
I have a project that requires installing a Mule tape for AT&T to pull their fiber.

It is 3" rigid conduit and about 300' with no pull boxes running along the ceiling of a 24' high warehouse with lots of equipment in the way. There is already an existing 50pr in it. Laying in a new conduit would be very difficult due to the location.

I don't think it is airtight enough to use a vaccuum. My fishes are only 200' and 165'. I was thinking about pushing 1 in from each end and somehow entering the conduit to add a poly string to each to make the long pull. The conduit is hung on unistrut so I don't think I can pull apart enough slack to get one of the connectors off. That leaves a pipe cutter or cutting a hole to get in. neither of these sounds like a good idea.

I'm hoping somebody here has better solution.

THANK YOU
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: fishing conduit - 07/06/16 06:21 PM
Try the vacuum or an air compressor - you'd be surprised what will work
Posted By: Rcaman Re: fishing conduit - 07/06/16 08:19 PM
Rent a Greenlee 592 blower and mouse. I have done this a thousand times and this works every time. The mouse will carry a string through the conduit. You can then back connect a rope or poly string, if you desire.

Rcaman
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: fishing conduit - 07/06/16 08:27 PM
Try a shop vac, using the blower side, and a plastic bag tried to a string.
Posted By: Not_sirius Re: fishing conduit - 07/06/16 09:30 PM
I plan to go back in a couple days to try just that. I've done it before with some of a plastic baggie on the end but only on empty pipes and never so long. I'm hoping for a good result but as I said I doubt the air worthiness of the conduit on such a long run.
Posted By: justbill Re: fishing conduit - 07/07/16 12:03 AM
It can be a challenge blowing or sucking something through a conduit with cable already in it, persistence usually pays off. I usually use duct seal on the end with the vacuum it does help.
Posted By: Silversam Re: fishing conduit - 07/07/16 01:35 AM
I second the vacuum or blower. A 300' conduit without at least 2 pullboxes in the middle is illegal (under the NEC) - if it's used for Electrical. For Voice or Data, sleazy contractors will leave out the boxes, knowing they can't be prosecuted.

Worst comes to worst you can disconnect the 50 pair and use it to drag in a pull rope.

Sam
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: fishing conduit - 07/07/16 10:59 PM
Answer D: "All of the above."
Posted By: gelehu Re: fishing conduit - 07/08/16 01:48 AM
If youre gonna try the 2 fishtapes put a birdsnest on one of them, much easier to hook
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: fishing conduit - 08/28/16 12:48 AM
Glad I wasn't holding my breath...
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: fishing conduit - 08/30/16 08:28 PM
You would have fainted and started breathing on your own
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help