atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: RM SYSTEMS Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/06/16 06:46 PM
Hi all,
So we just bought 3 of these and gave to techs. After a couple of days the techs told me the tool will punch down but not cut the pairs. Sure enough when we tested in the office with ICC modules they don't cut. Then I tried on another brand module and the tools cut fine. Anyone seen this before?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/06/16 07:27 PM
Often it's how you angle the blade. Make sure that the cutter of the 110 blade hits the cutoff block squarely. Sometimes too it takes several punches to cut off the tail and then not even always. I've had to pull them off with my fingers many times.

That said, why are you using the impact tool anyway when there is the Rapid Jack tool?

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/06/16 11:33 PM
Which style ICC jacks are you using?
I am doing a job right now with the HD style jacks and have not had any issues. The inline/EZ style jacks I do not like, and have the same issue with wires not cutting...plus there is very little space between the wires for a pair of snips to cut the excess.

Not to start the debate again, but I still prefer Leviton jacks.
Originally Posted by hbiss
That said, why are you using the impact tool anyway when there is the Rapid Jack tool?

-Hal

ICC has its own tool and Fluke doesn't make an adapter for them
Originally Posted by RM SYSTEMS
Hi all,
So we just bought 3 of these and gave to techs. After a couple of days the techs told me the tool will punch down but not cut the pairs. Sure enough when we tested in the office with ICC modules they don't cut. Then I tried on another brand module and the tools cut fine. Anyone seen this before?

I use the Fluke D914 all the time on ICC jacks and patch panels and never have any problems. ICC makes a nice tool for doing the jacks and it doesn't cost much.
Posted By: RM SYSTEMS Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/07/16 10:57 AM
Thanks all. Hal, we do use the EZ Tool as well. We have an Ideal and Greenlee and they cut on the first or second punchdown.

What I'm not getting is why the tool only has trouble with the ICC mods. I'm going to pick up a couple of brand mods today and try.
Posted By: Pinecreekboy Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/07/16 12:37 PM
I've abandoned Fluke for punch down tools. I've had the same issues and more. The Greenlee work well for me.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/07/16 03:21 PM
The issue is the angle. As Hal wrote, the blade has to be dead on and perpendicular to the jack. Any deviation will result in having to try and terminate multiple times. We use the D914 and have for years and, aside from replacing the blades when the get dull, the tools work fine.

Rcaman
The D914 goes way back to the Harris (sp?) days. I use to have one of those until I left it somewhere. cry2

The D914 is a tried and proven tool that I will take over any other brand out there.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/08/16 03:11 PM
Nobody dropped them, did they? They always seem to land on the blade tip and if it's a concrete floor say goodbye to the nice sharp cutter.

-Hal
Posted By: Derrick Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/08/16 04:56 PM
The high low setting makes a big difference too. I always turned the dial to high.
Posted By: RM SYSTEMS Re: Fluke D914 Punch Down Tool and ICC - 11/11/16 09:25 PM
JeffMoss is correct. We tried HD jacks and no problem. It's the EZ jacks. We are going to buy HD from now on.

By the way my techs tell me the EZ tool works fine on the HD but shaves the plastic off on the EZ.

Thanks all for your input.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help