atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hello all! I am still learning as I go so bear with me.
Trying to fix a damaged cable at a site I was called to. Apparently their cleaning crew were stripping down and waxing the floors. Their machines somehow caught the phones cables and damaged the cables and pulled the jacks from the walls (the other jacks were covered with wax, etc). So far I fixed three out of 4 by replacing the jack ports with cat 5e (RJ11 compatible) (all I had at the moment) ports. So far so good except for the last one. I can tone it out, but no voice. I can test it with a butt set on the demarc and hear/see the provider, but still no voice at the customers jack. I replaced the jack 2 times, still no voice. Any advice guys.
Are you sure that you're testing the "Voice" on the right pair for that jack? Was it originally using a "Split Pair"?

Possible that when their machine pulled the jack from the wall, it damaged the cable. Try another pair on it. If no pairs, or any combination of pairs still don't work, change the cable to the jack.
I am using blue white and blue for voice. So far this is the first time I am having an issue like this one. The other three new jacks worked fine ( I am using a simple one port rj11/rj45 combo).
Unable to change the cable to the jack (the jack has been replaced 2x) since it is an old building and the cable is built into the wall it is a standard cat 5.
Again thank you.
If you remove the jack, strip off some of the insulation on each conductor, clip your buttset onto the wires and go offhook...what happens eh
What pair was tied down at the Nid (station cable) when you started?. If cat 5 you have 4 pair to play with. Just put your toner on a pair and short it on the other end, if it stops tone the pair is continuous.
You are right. Found the problem, the cable (actually a Cat 3) was yanked very hard and found another break when I pulled some more out of the wall. Was able to get voice when I re crimped a cat 5e snap in jack on a different pair. Thank you for your help.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help